Author Topic: Laura surgery update  (Read 17794 times)

Kaybo

Re: Laura surgery update
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2009, 10:59:04 am »
Barbara~
I was way behind on this thread so i had to get caught up all at once and I am so glad that the ending was better than the beginning!!  ;D
Continued well wishes for a great recovery from here on out!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

teffaz

• We read to know we're not alone.
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2009, 11:09:39 am »
Barbara~
I am thrilled that Laura is doing so much better!!  Oh, happy day!

I will send every good wish that the transition to home will be as smooth as possible.

Brenda
1.5 cm. x .5 cm AN
translab May 2009
SSD (before surgery as well as after)
grateful for incredible surgeons: Dr. Porter & Dr. Syms
Barrow Neurological Institute; Phoenix

BarbaraS

« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2009, 10:12:10 pm »
Hi everyone -

Here are today's (4/24) updates on Laura's progress:

- She woke up with no headache this morning for the first time - and she has not had a headache at all today. Yea!
 - She ate all three meals again today. (Mmm... mashed potatoes...)
 - She had an ultrasound on her arm (the former IV line arm) and they determined that she had a blood clot, which was contributing to the extreme soreness she was having. They gave her some ibuprofen, had her elevate her arm, and put warm compresses on it. This has been helping - the swelling, redness, and soreness have gotten a little better throughout the day.
 - She is now allowed to go the the restroom by herself as long as she uses the walker (or the wheelchair if the walker is not there).  Hooray!
 - The groovy glasses have gone missing! They were not in her bag, so they must have been left behind in the other unit (or stolen by someone who admired how cool they were! Okay - probably not. ;))  Never fear, the OT will bring her another pair tomorrow.
 - The double vision is about the same today, however, she saw one of her nurses today from the previous unit, and the nurse pointed out that Laura's eyes seemed much better (in the sense that they were not jerking back and forth as much).
 - She had no nausea until PT this morning - then she got sick almost immediately afterwards. They gave her some meds, which stopped the nausea/vomiting. Extended movement/activity consistently seems to trigger it, so she is going to ask for the anti-nausea meds before PT tomorrow in an attempt to keep it at bay.
 - She took two walks today for PT - and did the same process as yesterday - part of the way with a walker and part of the way without (although she told me she needs to maintain light contact with the handrail to try to keep her balance).
 - Other PT exercises included practicing getting out bed/sitting/standing with no hands, and practicing walking up and down the mini-stairs.  She did well with all of these; however, the PT told her she was very off balance. The PT said she would be reevaluated next Thursday. Laura recognized today just how off balance she is and that if she went home right away, she would inevitably fall over, even with her caretaker there. She does not want to stay in the hospital until Thursday, but is going to take it day by day and see how the weekend goes.
 - She is going to take another walk tonight to work on her balance.

She had a few wobbles today (so to speak) but overall, it was another good day.  She is happy and working toward going home.

Have a good night!
Barbara
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 09:30:26 pm by BarbaraS »

suboo73

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2009, 03:52:24 am »
Hi Barbara! 

Thank you so much for Laura's updates - they are so detailed and i was glad to read them all!  Sounds like she is moving around better and better each day, and no more headaches, yea!  I am glad she has in-house rehab facility to help her thru the final hurdles before going home.  When my sister had hip-replacement surgery a number of years ago (at the age of 40), they tried to send her to a nursing home afterwards....  The suggestion was not emotionally uplifting and my sister refused and went straight home.  She did so well in her own home, surrounded by her family and caregivers, it was amazing!

I am hoping Laura is able to go home soon, because i do believe there's no place like home.

All my thoughts and prayers for Laura's continued speedy recovery!
Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2009, 09:52:09 am »
Yay Laura!  Keep it up, you'll be home soon.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Keri

« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2009, 02:43:12 pm »
Nice to hear about the improvements!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

BarbaraS

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2009, 10:38:45 pm »
Hi everyone -

Here are today's (4/25) updates on Laura's progress:

- She continues to sleep well and had no headache today for the second day in a row. (And she has not taken any pain meds since yesterday morning - awesome!) She had a self proclaimed "lazy" day today - she watched some tv with her kids, and took a nap. Good for her. :)
 - She is eating well, and has been eating more "utensil food" the last couple of days. Today was the first day she could eat her cream of wheat with a spoon instead of a straw. Yea!
 - She was able to shower completely unassisted today.
 - She took anti-nausea meds this morning after breakfast (before taking any walks) and has not had any nausea at all today.
 - She was disappointed to find out that she had no PT today. She knew she wouldn't have it tomorrow, but she was bummed about today. She said she felt that the weekend was wasted because of it. I told her it didn't need to be a waste - and suggested that tomorrow, in addition to her walks, she do some of the exercises the PT gave her, e.g., practicing sitting/standing, walking, etc. (with supervision, of course). She is planning on doing that. And she is going to tell the PT on Monday that she wants to go home by Wednesday, at the latest.
 - She took two walks today, both with the walker. She is planning on taking another walk tonight. She feels noticeably weaker on her left side, and wants to practice walking as much as she can.
 - The double vision remains the same. The docs want her to visit a neuro eye doctor when she gets discharged so she can get a prescription version (i.e., more attractive with no tape over the left eye) of the groovy glasses to wear temporarily.
 - Her arm is feeling much better today. In addition to the ibuprofen and warm compresses, they gave her an anticoagulant shot in her stomach yesterday, and will continue to give her one every day until she is discharged, to keep her from getting another clot.  She said the shot STINGS!
 - She can feel just about all of her tongue now, but still has numbness on the left side of her lips and face. She agrees with what some of the other forum members have said about their numbness - it feels very strange - she doesn't like to touch that part of her face. And she said it felt creepy when the water was hitting her face in the shower and there was a "dead" spot where she couldn't feel it. A bit unsettling. In the last couple of days, however, she has noticed a change in her left cheek that she described as "almost tingling." Does that mean she's getting some sensation back? Have any of you experienced this - total numbness that then turned to tingling? She and I are both curious about this. She is going to ask her doc on Monday, but she figured many of you may have had the same or a similar experience.

One update had both of us in hysterics. She said when she woke up this morning, she discovered that a yellow band had mysteriously appeared on her wrist that said "fall risk." While this is true, and a good thing to have noted, what was funny to me was that they had put it on her while she was sleeping.  I told her that it reminded me of one of those nature shows where they sneak up on an animal, sedate it, and then tag it so they can track it later.  Laura had been given the Wild Kingdom treatment!  LOL!

On that note, hope everyone has a good night! ;D
Barbara

sgerrard

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2009, 11:38:36 pm »
Barbara,

I have to say, there is something about the way you write your updates that makes me simply enjoy reading them. Are you a writer?

I am glad to hear about all the improvements. It sounds like most things have cleared up reasonably well. Is the trouble walking one of balance, or as you mentioned, one of weakness on one side? Laura had a large AN, so having more severe symptoms in that category is not that surprising. It may take a little time, but I'm sure she will get back on her feet in the end.

There is a member her named Trish, logging on as calimama, who had double vision for a while after surgery. If Laura's persists, Trish might have some tips for how to deal with it and how to nudge it along to resolution. I never had the numbness facial thing, but I have read enough posts here to know that all sorts of funny little things can happen. The tingling could well mean that feeling is returning.

I hope she has another good sleep, and doesn't have to get tagged by the game keepers every night. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2009, 01:41:04 am »
Oh, that's hysterical.  You two must be something when you are together.  I agree with Steve that your writing is superb.
I have only slight numbness in my face but absolutely the creepy dead thing in my ear and surrounding tissue.  I'm not used to touching it yet when I shampoo and don't like others to touch it, so tell Laura not to worry about it.  I'll let her know how long mine takes to recover.  The doctors said it would a long time since all the nerves were involved in the incision and must heal.
I'm glad Laura had a day with her kids.  I hope she's taking a few photos to share and to help her realize how far she's come already.
Thanks again, Barbara, for keeping us connected.

The MAGIC SCARF is on its way to LA to wrap itself around Laura the marathoner allegro17 and bring her good fortune.

Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

moe

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2009, 10:47:02 am »
Another fab update.
Thanks Barbara and give best wishes for continued slow healing. There's no reason to rush this process along!
Hopefully she will get to go HOME soon. One step forward, 2 steps back, seems to be the story, but she's getting there!
Baby steps! I'm just so glad for her that they did not have to cut the facial nerve..She will slowly get back to a NEW LAURA person, and it will be OK!
Hugs,
maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mprust

« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2009, 03:46:16 pm »
Thank you Barbara for your updates. You're thoroughness is wonderful and it's so nice to get such thoughtful and reliable information each day. Please give Laura a big hug from me, and tell her that I know what she's going through, but that it sounds like she's continuing to make a good recovery despite the little bumps along the way. I'm glad to hear that the blood clot was found and is being treated, and that Laura is starting to move around more comfortably. Thanks again for keeping the news coming!

All my best,

Morgan Prust

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2009, 04:12:00 pm »
Hi, Barbara ~

Yet another encouraging update on Laura!  Suffice it to say that I'm delighted to learn that she is showing very steady improvement and, I expect that she'll be discharged well before Thursday.  Let Laura know that she is in our thoughts and prayers.  Also know that your continuing updates are informative - and delightful reading, as well .  Thanks, again.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2009, 04:29:19 pm »
Hi,
The tingly feeling means that the nerves are doing SOMETHING, but what exactly and what that leads to is very individual.  I still have this 9 months out and hope that it means that things are trying to repair themselves.  Keep up the good work Laura and thanks Barbara for keeping us posted.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2009, 07:24:58 pm »
Barbara,

I too very much enjoy your well written updates.  You have a way of making me feel as if I was there receiving the update myself :).  Thanks so much for keeping us informed.

Laura,

I think you are doing wonderfully!  I know you still have some hurdles to get over, but what a difference from the first updates we received.  I think it's great that you are hopeful to go home by Wednesday.  I think a lot of healing happens when you are finally in a familiar environment.  We will continue to pray for your complete recovery.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

BarbaraS

« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2009, 08:27:29 pm »
Hi everyone -

Here are today's (4/26) updates on Laura's progress:

- She had another "lazy" day today.  She slept well last night, but woke up at 5am when the nurses came in to draw blood, and then could not fall back asleep. (They did not attempt to tag her again with another wristband. ;))
 - She has had no headaches for three days now, and has stopped taking pain meds.
 - She's had minimal/no change in the double vision.
 - Her appetite continues to be very good. She had cream of wheat (with a spoon!), french toast, and bacon for breakfast this morning, watched a movie on tv, then took a two hour nap. Sounds like a perfect Sunday morning to me!
 - Her roommate (who barely uttered a word and kept the curtain closed at all times) was discharged today, and she now has the room to herself. She's hoping that continues for the rest of her stay, but if not, she's keeping her fingers crossed for another silent roomie. I don't know what the odds of that are, but she certainly has had tremendous luck on the roommate front so far.
 - She ate an uneventful lunch and then prepared to take a shower, which ended up being quite the event.  She went back and forth to the bathroom several times because she kept forgetting things, and made herself nauseated in the process (good walking practice, though). She took some anti-nausea meds and went back to bed for a little while until they kicked in. Once she felt better, she took a leisurely shower (like a half hour!), during which time no one bothered to check on her for being on the bathroom for so long. Apparently, just tagging her as a "fall risk" was sufficient, and no human interaction or follow up is required.
 - After consuming all of the hot water on the unit, she spent a lot of time in front of the mirror brushing her teeth, drying and combing her hair, etc., all without supporting herself on the walker, sink, etc. I was excited (as was she) that she was able to maintain her balance for so long. A very good sign.
 - Once she was done getting all gussied up, she decided to go... back to bed. Primping is tiring work, you know.
 - She took her usual two walks today, both with the walker. She is determined to work on her balance to prove to the PT that she will be ready to be discharged soon. Maintaining her balance is crucial, as she will not have a 24/7 caregiver when she goes home. There will be portions of the day when she will be by herself and she needs the strength and balance to get around on her own when necessary.
 - She is going to take another walk this evening when her boyfriend comes to visit. For that outing, she is planning on wearing her sneakers and is going to try to walk without any support at all (just have him next to her in case she needs help). She also is going to practice her PT exercises tonight.
 - She will have a follow up with her doc and the PT tomorrow to gauge her progress. Barring any unforeseen setbacks, she is pretty confident that Wednesday will be discharge day.
 - When I called, she was trying to eat spaghetti for dinner, which can be a challenge for anyone, but particularly daunting when half of your face is numb. She was attempting to cut it up in small pieces and then eat it with a spoon, but was having minimal success.  I jokingly suggested that she suck up the individual noodles through a straw, which then, of course, caused us to have a big giggle fit. However, I still think the straw may have worked...

As always, thanks to all of you for your advice, comments, and support.  Steve - to answer your question, I am not a writer, per se (I'm a copyeditor), but I do enjoy writing.  I just wish I had more time to do it. Writing about Laura's progress has been very therapeutic for me and quite fun (now that she is doing so well). I am so glad people enjoy reading Laura's updates as much as I enjoy writing them.

Have a good night!
Barbara