Author Topic: Why am I a "special" case?  (Read 3300 times)

Sefra22

Why am I a "special" case?
« on: April 09, 2009, 06:09:45 pm »

I got a call from my ENT's office today saying they need to move my surgery up from April 29th to the 22nd. The reason, I am told is because a representative from the BAHA company has to fly in from across the country (Colorado to Maine) with special equipment for me that the hospital does not have on hand. I asked if I needed special equipment because of the AN and she replied "Yes, they need to bring some Gamma Knife equipment".  ???

I was treated with GK 2 years ago. I don't understand why this would make my surgery any different than any other. I was so concerned about the date change (really inconvenient), that I didn't ask for more details. She is going to call me back on Monday, but this is going to nag at me all weekend.

Any ideas as to why?

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Why am I a "special" case?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 10:14:19 pm »
Lisa -

GK equipment doesn't make any sense to me.  Are you sure the equipment in question isn't a specialized high-speed drill?

The only reason I ask is because although my neurotologist has done lots and lots of BAHA implants, my surgery was the first (and possibly the only) one he ever performed at the hospital where I had mine done.  As a result, the drill he needed had to be loaned to the hospital by Cochlear America.  The hospital he normally does BAHA surgeries at rents their drill from Cochlear.

Obviously no drill equals no surgery; but GK equipment?

I'm curious to see if this is correct - and if so what the reasoning is.

Please let us know.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 10:22:05 pm »
No idea how GK could be involved. I think the person on the phone was making it up, in hopes that it sounded good. If so, they failed. :)

It seems far more likely that they need a special BAHA drill, as Jan described. Hope you can work out the date okay.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Sefra22

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 06:20:11 am »
Thanks Guys,
Your responses make more sense than the things that have been going through my brain since that call!
I have read that they use Gamma technology to sterilize surgical equipment...maybe that's what she meant?
Lisa
Diagnosed June 2006

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 10:47:59 am »
Lisa ~

I'm as befuddled as you and everyone else about the alleged need for Gamma Knife equipment to perform your implant surgery.  I would suggest calling the ENT's office and ask to speak with the doctor, then, ask him.   The secretary, nurse or whomever you spoke to probably doesn't really know why the BAHA representative is coming early, but the doctor will.  FWIW, I agree with the consensus that it's very likely to supply the proper drill for the procedure.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sefra22

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 07:55:23 pm »
I called the office today and got it all straightened out. Apparently, the hospital I am going to doesn't do many of these procedures, so they have to have the equipment brought in. My doctor is the only one in Maine trained for this surgery, and he just moved here last fall.

As for the Gamma knife materials, the assistant said they use it for "grafting" but even she said she knows little about the technical side of the surgery. She assured me that he has done many BAHA surgeries, and I am in good hands.

I feel a lot better now.

Lisa
Diagnosed June 2006

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 08:41:02 pm »
Well, this is perplexing and I'll be curious to know about the "GK equipment"  This seems very strange to me, but then.....Gamma Knife is housed in a huge machine.  It's cobalt radiation.  Do you think she meant laser?  As if THAT would clear anything up.

Really curious about this one!  ;D

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Sefra22

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 04:40:58 am »
Hi Sue,
She DID say he "loves to work with lasers" so maybe that's it. Asl long as it's not a lightsaber, I can deal with it :D
Lisa
Diagnosed June 2006

lori67

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 11:58:56 am »
Lisa,

Maybe a lightsabre would be even better than a drill! May the force be with you!   :D

I don't think I'd be too worried - after all, you want to make sure they have all the right tools to do the job and at least they thought about it in advance and didn't wait until you were draped and ready to be worked on before they said "Ok, did anyone order the drill?".

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 01:38:17 pm »
Lisa -

you'd be amazed how many medical professionals don't know what a BAHA even is - but then again, most have no reason to know.

As I mentioned before, the hospital my doc did my surgery at wasn't his "usual hospital" - so I was a first there.  I had almost every nurse in the OR outpatient holding area coming over to my little cubicle asking me what BAHA surgery was and why I was having it.  I was a celebrity of sorts  8)   There was one nurse who told me she read all about the procedure the night before on the internet because she'd seen it on the schedule and had no idea what it was.  I thought it showed a lot of initiative on her part and I even wrote the director of the outpatient surgical area and told her so.

In the OR my doc spent some time explaining to the nurses what he was doing, which I thought was kind of cool.  I felt great that I could be a "hands on" learning exhibit for others.

Sounds like you'll be charting new territory too  ;D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 03:08:38 pm »

I feel a lot better now.

Lisa ~

Well, I'm glad that was finally settled. You had us going there for awhile.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.