Author Topic: Temper  (Read 11526 times)

Palace

• Palace
Temper
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:37:23 am »
Hello AN Friends,

I was always in complete control under duress and horrific stressful conditions.  Do others on this forum experience a spark of "temporary insanity?" I noticed my patience has worn-thin.

Regards,

Palace

22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Re: Temper
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 01:09:06 pm »
I know that I do. Just yesterday I hurled a corning ware bowl at the wall shattering it in a thousand pieces. It was something ridiculous and insignificant that set me off. I was more angry with myself than anyone else when I did it.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 01:49:05 pm »
Palace ~

Immediately following my surgery, during my early recovery period, my wife tells me that I was very grouchy, mostly with her.  I only dimly remember this and I think it had something to do with the fact that I hated having my life disrupted with all the tests and doctor visits I had to go through.  The angst of the surgery was also a factor, although I didn't have much time to worry about it.  I loathed being in the hospital with all it's attendant impositions and small humiliations and was eager to be discharged.  However, because everything I went through was for my own good and very necessary, I never balked or whined about it.  Finally, when it was essentially over, I guess I thought it was time for my real feelings to came out.  Unfortunately, my resentment over all the disruption in my life came to a head and I probably gave my ever-patient wife a hard time when there wasn't any reason to do so.  I recall resenting her attention to my comfort.  I would snap "I'm fine!" if she asked if I wanted anything.  What a jerk I was!  That kind of gratuitous unpleasantness, for which I've apologized, many times, mercifully passed within a few months.  The fact that I had an excellent recovery probably helped.  My wife has told me that if I stayed that way (perpetually grouchy) our marriage would have been in some jeopardy.  The happy ending is that I got past this stage of my life and have regained my sanguine disposition.     Well, most of the time, anyway.  :)  I trust your current impatience will also diminish with time.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:09:46 pm »
My hubby said I was a ****** the first 5 or 6 weeks.   I feel like I've been my normal self since then though.

Vonda

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 03:40:23 pm »
Hi!  I love your question!   :D
I bet we all have temporary insanity stories!

My major "temporary insanity" came about just prior to my surgery.  Almost everyone was so wonderful when they found out I would be having "brain surgery." Almost every day leading up to surgery, people where I worked would bring me lotions, pjs, robes, books, etc., even gift certificates.  My husband was wonderful, my family concerned and worried, etc.  Plans towards having surgery went like clockwork, and there was nothing  for me to get mad at!  Well...so I thought!

It (the anger that I had repressed) all came tumbling out when the granite crew cut our master bathroom granite countertop wrong!  (We were building a new house at the time.)  When I got home from work and saw they had not cut the granite correctly for the faucets that I had picked out, I "lost it!"   The crew was (luckily!) gone, but my poor husband saw a banshee and heard words that he'd never heard come out of me!  I really was out of control, suffice it to say....  :o

The next day, I realized that I was really angry at my situation, not the faucets.  Long story short, I did not have the crew bring out new granite, but had the faucets I'd picked returned, chose new ones to fit the holes they'd cut.....and some months later, had my sister, who does beautiful needlework, to create for me a picture with flowers that says, "There is more to life than faucets."  This picture hangs in our master bath now!

So glad you asked the quesion, and I am looking forward to reading more "temporary insanity" stories!
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 03:40:58 pm »
Hey, Palace, good to see you - it's been a while; hope all is good with you  ;D

Patience has never been one of my virtues either pre or post AN diagnosis and surgery - and lack of patience and frustration seem to be big "temper" factors for me - lack of sleep also is a factor.   I generally don't suffer fools gladly either  :D

While I haven't hurled any dishware lately, I do have a temper.  I tend to think it's just related to everyday life circumstances though (bad economy, stressful job, single-parenting - the list goes on and on); I don't see any correlation between my temper and my AN.

That said, I'm not always "hell on wheels" - I do have my good points  ;) - but none of us are perfect.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 08:16:56 pm »
as i noticed before, some one said it. i was out of my mind the weeks just prior to my surgery. some of that was due to my taking from June until December of 07 to have it doen. that was a scheduling thing as i teach jr. college.

after wards? no more then normal . in fact i was very docile for 6 weeks after it really drained me , the surgery. now 16 months later all seems to be pretty fair back to normal or at least my new normal........
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 09:51:13 pm »
I think I've actually gone the other way. I used to have a quick temper. I think this experience has made me a better person. I appreciate life more and I'm calmer.....except when driving...I am a Bostonian after all.... ;D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 06:23:21 am »
I have found that as I am now SSD I get angry when someone says something and I don't understand them and I say 'What?' then they reply, 'nevermind.'  This drives me crazy!
 :-[
Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 06:30:58 am »
I have found that as I am now SSD I get angry when someone says something and I don't understand them and I say 'What?' then they reply, 'nevermind.'  This drives me crazy!

One of the major reasons I got a BAHA.  This used to frustrate the hell out of me, which made me angry.  Obviously a TransEar will solve some of this problem, too.  Aren't you getting a TransEar, Neal?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 06:48:35 am »
Well, since we are sharing anger stories :)...

Years and years ago before my AN existed, I threw an oreo cookie at my ex-wife and it shattered on her forehead.  That was only after she tried to throw a heavy telephone at me, but the cord held and it stopped a few inches from my face.  I'm afraid, however, that I feel no remorse over the cookie, other than it went to waste.

AN related, I called the post-op recovery nurse "incompetent" because she was across the room when I needed her, and there was no way to get her attention.  Luckily my wife showed up just in time to get me a small container to "hurl" into, or it would have just been all over the place.  The nurse finally heard the comotion and came running over.  Her first words?  "Why didn't you call me?!?!  I was right over there!"  Remember, I had no call button, and no voice because of the intibation tube they had just removed.  I suppose I regret calling her incompetent, but at the same time, she could have been more understanding and showed a bit of compasion.

Even after a couple of weeks at home, I found myself short with people and getting grumpy.  I am happy to say, however, that I am almost back to my usually pleasant self.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 06:57:16 am »

One of the major reasons I got a BAHA.  This used to frustrate the hell out of me, which made me angry.  Obviously a TransEar will solve some of this problem, too.  Aren't you getting a TransEar, Neal?

Jan

Yes, still waiting for it to come in.  I am hoping this will help but I find myself having less than high expectations (that way I won't be too disappointed). I will report once I get it.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

MissMolly

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 06:59:57 am »
Dear Ernie,

;D ;D ;D at the oreo cookie ex wife story.   I was more passive agressive with my ex husband. Once he seriously choked on a raw carrot and I actually debated whether or not to call 911.   ;)  

I think any assault to the brain or surrounding areas has long lasting effects.  People with strokes and head trauma have residual temper flareups for years.  I would also think that stress - whether current or delayed - can impact temper too.  

Sometimes, though, I think it's just life.  Our secretary has a magnet on her file cabinet that says, "I meditate, do yoga and read affirmations daily.  Why do I still feel like smacking someone?"

Have a calm and peaceful day everybody.

Miss Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 11:30:25 am »
I get angry easily, but try not to, when I do I have to go to a quiet room, sit, take deep breaths before I do anything else.

Btw Im back guys! ;)
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 12:20:51 pm »
Just to be the voice of opposition, I've been told that since surgery I seem more emotionless than before the surgery.  I've been told that I seem to not get mad, angry, happy, sad, etc as much as before.  I disagree with that, but that's what I've been told.  I've never been one to hurl oreos at people, though.  ;)

Btw, welcome back Lisa!  :)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager