Author Topic: Wishing dgrummer's husband best wishes (surgery, Thursday, Feb 23)  (Read 1807 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
dgrummer noted in my "Confused and crying" thread in the "Pre-Treatment forum" on pg 2 that her husband is having his AN surgery tomorrow, so wanted to send warm wishes, energy for strength and hugs for getting through the day.

Hang in there!  Hugs to you all.

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Wishing dgrummer's husband best wishes (surgery, Thursday, Feb 23)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 09:12:40 am »
Dana,

Thanks for the note with your husband's update!  Sounds like it went well and no where to go but up and up now!  Continued wishes for a speedy recovery to him!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

dgrummer

Re: Wishing dgrummer's husband best wishes (surgery, Thursday, Feb 23)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 09:40:35 am »
Thanks guys!  Things went great.  To recap my husband’s journey…

He was diagnosed in August, turned 38 Monday and had surgery Thursday (2/23).  His only symptoms were slight numbness around his mouth and on the tip of his tongue.  By surgery time, he began to have a strange feeling on the right side of his throat.  He had perfect hearing.

His tumor had grown from 2.8 since his MRI in August to about 3.5cm – and was severely compressing his brain – more than the NS had originally thought – by the time they got in there.

But amazingly – he has NO vertigo and NO facial paralysis.  His face is a little weak – but he can still close his eye – and they are predicting that is should recover 100%; the nerve was in great shape.  All his pre-surgery symptoms are gone.  He did loose his hearing in his right ear.  They used the RS approach because of the location and size – but we didn’t expect to be able to save his hearing.  They did say he had a VERY thick skull - went through 2 bits to get in - but that was of no surprise to me  :)

His surgery lasted 12 hours (a VERY long day!).  He’s been up walking around and they just took the bandage off this morning.  They are saying he may come home tomorrow or Tuesday.  As soon as we can track down the NS resident - we believe he'll be off the IV.

I’m sure I feel the same way about our doctors as everyone feels about theirs.  They did a wonderful job and there are no words to express our gratitude.  These are amazing people and I think God for their talent and dedication.  After completing my husband’s 12 hours surgery – our NS operated on a friends brother’s tumor the next day.

And a note to those who are just beginning this journey…I’ll reiterate the feelings of a posting I read as we were agonizing on where to go for treatment.  It was from a complete stranger who I now consider a dear friend (thanks becknell)…there are wonderful doctors in other places besides California and great outcomes are possible.  While no one would argue that HEI is the world leaders and they obviously have wonderful doctors – for those who can’t or do not want to travel that far – it is not the only place for wonderful outcomes.

We live in Arkansas and met with Dr. Brackman and another Dr in Dallas, as well as several doctors here.  Through much prayer we made our decision to stay close to home and Rob was treated at UAMS by Dr John Dornhoffer and Dr Ali Krisht.  It was a difficult decision to make – to not go to California – but now we know we made the right decision.  The support of our family and friends here has meant so much.

That said – it is still very important to research and find the best doctors you can.  After everything is said and done – it’s still in God’s hands – but you want to give him the best hands to work with you can

Thank you all for your support!

dana