Author Topic: Blood donation prior to surgery  (Read 9279 times)

anissa

• My Journey
Re: Blood donation prior to surgery
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 10:50:11 am »
Moe, mine is a bit smaller at 2.1x1.9x1.8 and that was 6 weeks ago.  Hopefully it has not grown.  You didn't scare me at all and yes, I know who's in charge.  :) 

I also think that I'd rather have it and waste it (and what a shame it can't be donated if I don't need it) than need it and not have it.  I'm pretty trusting of the system but I'd like to be safe if I can help it.  Soooo glad to hear this isn't a bloody surgery, I was beginning to wonder if one pint would be enough, lol.

Rick, I never thought of asking for a video.  My husband couldn't video or even take still pictures during my c-section and really I don't think I want a video of my brain surgery lying around.  It might make for interesting after-dinner conversation with guests though, ha ha...

As you guys can probably tell, I like a bit of control and it makes me feel a lot better to know/do as much as possible to prepare.  The true test will come the minute they give me the knock out drugs, its all God at that point. 

It turns out that the closest place I can give my blood is about two hours from here so its also providing a day out for our family, yay! 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

DLM4me

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 01:53:00 pm »
I thought about doing an autologous donation pre-op, but have pretty much decided against it as this type of surgery isn't likely to be bloody.  Besides, the last times I needed blood transfusions? The early days of HIV.  Before testing.  Before it had been identified, actually.  I lucked out then...I should be okay now when our blood supply is extremely safe!  (Never say never, though...I may change my mind!)

Anissa, you're having surgery on my daughter's birthday.  Yep, she's an April Fool's Day baby!  (Not a baby any more, though.)  I think it's a good sign for your surgery. :)

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 02:19:38 pm »
Thanks for the positive feedback for surgery on April fools day.  I've gotten a lot of comments about it and I wasn't quite sure how to feel.  Happy B-Day in advance to your daughter.  :)
Anissa
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD

texsooner

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 02:30:20 pm »
I'm a regular blood donor and also did the autologous donation about 3 weeks before surgery. I'm in the camp of "why not do it"? I knew chances were that I would not need blood during surgery, and if so, the chances of getting some bad blood(from an unknown donor) would also be low......however, my chances of getting an AN in the first place were pretty remote too.

That's how it all worked in my head, but each to his or her own.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 03:07:37 pm »
Anissa:

I'll just jump in late to concur with those who suggest that having your own blood on hand for the surgery is prudent.  I didn't because the issue never came up and, fortunately, no blood transfusions were necessary during my 9-hour operation.  Still, it seems like having your own blood available during your surgery is being quite responsible and I can't see any real reason not to.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

chelsmom

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 10:13:21 pm »
Hi Anissa,
I just saw this topic and had to jump in.  My daughter also had a very large tumor and we were told that the surgery was not a bloody one and there was really no need to donate her own blood.  Unfortunately her tumor turned out to be vascular and she needed 2 units of blood during surgery.  Her surgery was staged in 2 parts at 2 weeks apart.  During that 2 week period she received 2 units of platelets then another 2 units of blood during her second surgery.  I realize her situation was very unusual but I now believe every case is totally different.  She is now facing this again because of regrowth.  Her tumor was debulked and then radiated and is now growing again.  Like I said-very unusual.  I think that if you have the chance to self donate then do it.  It can't hurt.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 10:21:20 pm »
Its done!  I gave yesterday and sitting in the donor chair I almost started bawling three times.  I just sat there thinking about what was coming in the next weeks, people asking me my name a lot and being really nice while sticking me with needles.  (deep breath)  All you wonderful posties survived surgery and I will too.  (deep breath)
Anissa

moe

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 12:30:13 pm »
You will do marvelous, I know it. You have great faith, and great surgeons, and there should be no problems! You have 5 kids at home (including hubby) who need you.
Remember, God does not give you more than you can handle, so he won't allow any complications!
(I'm able to deal with my annoying post operative nuances, but my kids are in college, and high school, so they are self sufficientSo I guess God thinks I can handle this, which I can...)
Keep thinking happy thoughts!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 12:59:44 pm »
Hi again Anissa,
I just wanted to say hello again and wish you the best!  I will be saying prayers for you, your surgeons, and your familly.  You are right in that it will be you & God together as you go into surgery.  And rest assured we will all be out there with our prayers, and  cheering you on through surgery as as you recuperate!
May God continue to bless you,
Kathy                                                     
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 07:37:50 pm »
Hello there,

Thought I'd jump in on this one too.  Being a operating room nurse, I can definitely see both sides of this issue.  USUALLY, these types of surgeries have very little blood loss, and you actually have to lose a certain amount before a doctor will choose to trasfuse you blood anyhow.  Of course, some people have ran into instances where they have needed it, and it's always a nice thought to be able to have your own blood.

On the other hand, it is also nice to keep that "pint" of blood inside you if you can, too.  Women have less blood in their systems then men, and sometimes it helps to be at full-force when it comes time to surgery and recovery.  If you auto-donate, just give your body enough time to make up that "pint" again.  Your physician can help you determine timing.

Keep in mind that using donor blood is VERY safe nowadays.  Where I work, I often hear that all-to-common phrase that it was 10 times riskier driving here this morning than it would be to ever catch a disease from someone else's donated blood, etc, etc. 

Of course, only you can make the right decision for yourself.  Do whatever makes you feel better about the day of surgery.  We all know too well what goes through your head, and any decisions you can make that lessens the stress for you, do it! 

Best of luck,
Amy :)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Kaybo

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 08:25:24 pm »
such good points Amy, how are YOU doing these days!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 12:14:13 pm »
very good, thank you.  still working w/ the arm, but back to a desk job and feeling great.

-Amy
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.