Author Topic: Blood donation prior to surgery  (Read 9275 times)

anissa

• My Journey
Blood donation prior to surgery
« on: March 18, 2009, 03:55:18 pm »
I'm donating blood to myself this Friday, just wondering who else has done this and also, did you need it?  I've been told its not a real bloody surgery but its nice to have just in case.  For those of you posties out there, is that true? 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

kathylittlejohncobb

Re: Blood donation prior to surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 04:21:15 pm »
Hi,
I did do this, but it was not needed.  Even though my insurance company is very good, I ended up in a Catch-22, & was never reimbursed for any of the cost of drawing, shipping, etc.  You may want to check with your insurance company ahead of time; I didn't!  ::)
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 04:24:13 pm »
I asked if I could try to donate blood to myself instead of receiving someone else's, but my surgeons said that the likelihood of needing blood was so low that it wouldn't be worth my time. I am curious to know how much blood is lost during one of these surgeries though...maybe I will ask at my followup next week :)

Kim
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 04:30:31 pm »
My surgeon said "a thimble full" is all they lose in a standard retrosigmoid surgery.  I was given the option, but declined.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 05:10:20 pm »
I have had the 4 surgeries and never needed blood to be given to me.   I think maybe have only heard of one or 2 who have and I have been hearing about AN surgery now since 2001 so not very many.                   Now with being a nurse and working for 21 years, I have done more transfusions that could even count.         
                                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 06:31:32 pm »
Anissa -

I'm a regular blood donor, but didn't make a contribution to myself prior to my surgery.

I asked both my neurotologist and my neurosurgeon about the need for blood and was told by both of them that AN surgery isn't typically a bloody surgery.

While there's certainly no harm in making a donation, it's highly unlikely you'll need it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 06:35:53 pm »
Anissa~
Of course, I will be the different one here...I did give blood for myself (that's when it really hit me) and my BIL gave a pint b/c they said they liked to have 2 pints on hand.  They said that they "didn't EVER use them" - that it was just a precaution.  Guess what?  They used them both!!  My BIL said that when I acted dorky I could blame it on his blood!!  I will say that even though it is "safer" to have your own blood, it is MUCH more expensive!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 06:44:30 pm »
Hi Anissa!

I read somewhere during my mental and physical preparation for this surgery that you should give your own blood in case you need it.  So...when I asked my surgeons about it, they both said I wouldn't need to do that.  I didn't and turns out...they were right.  Most (but not all...no one expected I'd have a such a rotten time with infection!!) of what my surgeons told me might or might not happen worked out exactly as they predicted. BUT....if it eases your mind and helps you prepare for your big day, I would do it in a heartbeat.  What matters is you and what gives you peace of mind.  This is not an easy road!!!!

Take care - I wish for you all things good!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

QRM

• Was an architect now stay at home dad
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 07:12:58 pm »
For some reason I was pretty much told not to bother as the operation does not require blood, its just used as a back up emergency supply, I was "pressured" into declining it, the reason being I am coming in from overseas so there's no time to process the blood etc. I was there a whole week before the op. The big give away was the number of forms I had to sign saying I am declining and if it all goes pear shape somebody else blood is fine.

I did not need the blood, but here is the big wake up call, while lying there in hospital, I heard the doc doing his rounds and he was outside my door, and for someone with SSD I have surprising good hearing, I overheard them whispering that this Patient has contracted Hepatitis, suspected from a blood transfusion, and the doc was saying that why its so important to use your own blood. Everyone around him was wondering how it could have happened with all the checks in place etc.  I thought I must have been Attila the Hun in my past life, after all I been though and now I get this news. Anyway the long and short of it, it was not me they were talking about. It was a good lesson for me next time I ever have to go to surgery, which fingers crossed will never happen, I will insist on giving give them a bucket full of my own blood, and if they don't use it then I am sure some one else can have it.

Rick
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 04:37:14 am by QRM »
2.5 cm x 1.1 cm AN 30 Oct 08  Singapore Gleneagles Hosp.
Translab on  29 Jan 09 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of HEI
Surgery a success!! had wonky head for a while and odd tastes
Everyday things are improving and getting back to normal.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 07:28:25 pm »
I thought very seriously about having my own blood drawn prior to surgery, but finally decided against it. My internist said that it was unlikely to be a bloody surgery; I would have had to have the procedure done in New Jersey, then have the blood flown out to Los Angeles a week or so ahead of time; no part of the procedure would be covered by insurance.

But what really convinced me not to bother was when the woman at the blood bank told me that if I didn't use the blood myself it could not be donated to a blood bank. I gather this is true of all blood that is self-donated (i.e., it can't be used by anyone else).

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 08:33:48 pm »
That was what I was recalling - they can't use it for anyone else if it is marked for you - such a waste!

The neuro that I saw here when I was having some trouble with my neck (nerve stuff from my 12/7) said that he figured that since I was on the table so long (14 hours) and since they had to use both pints of blood that I had a bleed somewhere and then when they started clamping stuff off to stop it, something was clamped too long and that is why I had a "surgery induced stroke" - just his theory when I asked him what he thought might have happened.  The original surgeon would never admit to anything happening but the PhD over the balance center said to my brother the morning after the surgery (Dave had run home to shower since he had stayed up there that 1st night in the waiting room - sweet boy - couldn't leave me in the hospital alone even though he couldn't come in ICU!) "She looks pretty good...especially with what happened..."  We knew NOTHING about this & so my brother really questioned her but when she realized we didn't know anything about what had happened, she clammed up REAL quick.  Her guy was in there the whole time monitoring my nerves so obviously she knew what had happened.  I don't think that was a very common thing at any rate!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

QRM

• Was an architect now stay at home dad
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 11:09:50 pm »
Which is why my surgeons was a bit cagey when I asked if they could give me a video of the whole operation, they said the video was not working properly I can see why they don't like it.  Every word they said would have been recorded like big brother watching over them.  Maybe a video should be compulsory like a flight deck voice recorder.
2.5 cm x 1.1 cm AN 30 Oct 08  Singapore Gleneagles Hosp.
Translab on  29 Jan 09 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of HEI
Surgery a success!! had wonky head for a while and odd tastes
Everyday things are improving and getting back to normal.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 04:25:48 am »
I always have blood taken before any surgery.  I have AB+ and even though AB+ folks can use other types, I don't want to chance anything.  I have had to have blood three times, so I was happy I had it available. 
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

andrea in slc

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 09:25:30 am »
Hey Anissa!

I donated to myself too and didn't need it. But we found out after my brother had surgery last year and needed a transfusion, that we have some weirdo IgA blood deficiency thing in our family we have to worry about. He almost DIED from them giving him 10 cc of donated blood. And his poor wife was right in the room with him watching him fade out, it was so NOT a good situation. Becasue of that I decided to donate to myself just in case. Thankfully I didn't need it, but if it adds to your piece of mind, go for it!

Andrea

moe

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 09:26:19 am »
Anissa,
You are so organized and on top of things. All your duckies are in a row. Get the blood, even if it has to be wasted. This is your life. Don't take chances. Never say never with blood loss. Docs are going on their experiences only.
Case in point...

This one is right up my alley, Anissa, and any one else who wants to read on.............I also was told that blood loss is minimal with surgery.
I had traveled from TX to WA to have my brain surgery because my husband and I were geographically separated with military (I stayed home in TX with teens who were finishing high school, and starting college).
So it was rush rush.
My MRI had shown that the tumor looked  a little different. Turns out it was a vascular tumor, but of course they  didn't know this until they were in there.
As I'm lying in the holding area, talking to the anesthesiologist about blood transfusion during surgery (yea, last minute, wouldn't you say?), I had to sign the release. No I did NOT want blood transfusion unless it was a life/death situation. My husband and I are medical and  don't trust the system!

Good thing I mentioned this: I had a vascular tumor, lost 2 pints of blood during surgery. They were able to get by without blood transfusion.
I had no dizziness after surgery because the tumor had been there for so long and I had compensated greatly.  I did have shortness of breath because I had lost so much blood. The doc nonchalantely said "We're going to give you some blood today" post op day number one, and I said "No you're not." I'm not dying.! My husband nursed me back to health with fried chicken livers n onions and liverwurst/spinach-YUMMMMM!!!!!

So no worries for you but just to be on the safe side, get your own blood.
CHEERS :)
Maureen
And the most amazing thing is I did not stroke out- the docs were amazed. We know who is in control, don't we? I was not a member of the forum, but have a large Catholic family support group with a brother who is a priest, so we had great connections,  so to speak :)
Hope I didn't scare you. My tumor had been in there for way too long (10 years too long), so that was my prob.Yours is much smaller?
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty