Author Topic: New SSD Questions  (Read 5813 times)

nteeman

• Back to Mono
New SSD Questions
« on: March 18, 2009, 07:49:18 am »
After my 1/27/09 surgery I became SSD. I did have some hearing loss before surgery and I knew there waas a good chance of losing the hearing ability in that ear. Now I have been adjusting. At first I thought SSD is not so different than how I was prior to surgery as I did already have hearing loss in that ear. But now I find myself having more and more difficulties hearing and understanding people. Sometimes it is anoying, other thimes funny but I do find myself having difficulties at times.

I know I am very lucky as I did not have any facial paralysis, eye or balance problems but I've come to the cocnclusion that I have to make some kind of effort to adjust to
SSD--I just can't go on like nothing has changed.

I did try the BAHA demo at my ENT's office and was not impressed. I will be seeing an Audiologist this weekend about the TransEar aid.

Question: When I wake up in the morning I sometimes hear a series of clicking sounds in my AN ear -- it is like click-click-click-click, pause,click-click-click-click. Sometimes I think I hear a delayed swoosh sound in my deaf ear after hearing a loud sharp sound, such as a book dropping or a loud stomp. It is like the sound of the inpact followed by a short swoosh heard in my deaf ear. Very weird. 

Any thoughts?
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Mickey

Re: New SSD Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 09:27:31 am »
Hi Neal! To talk about tinnitus, I`ve had mine for about 30 years. Over the course of that time many new sounds have come and gone. Right now I`ve pretty much setteled into clicking w/ ring when I get up to purely ring during the couse of the day. I`ve done the Neuormonics which has been about 50% affective which is a big help. It takes time to get used to things. Over the course of my  time for the most part it`s just part of my "being" which I guess you can say I addapted to. Keep looking into whatever may help you. At the beginning being not used to things might make it a little more uncomfortable. As time goes by I do believe you will get whatever help you need and will adjust to everything else which will become normal to you. I`m glad to see your doing well, Mickey

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:11:48 am »
Question: When I wake up in the morning I sometimes hear a series of clicking sounds in my AN ear -- it is like click-click-click-click, pause,click-click-click-click. Sometimes I think I hear a delayed swoosh sound in my deaf ear after hearing a loud sharp sound, such as a book dropping or a loud stomp. It is like the sound of the inpact followed by a short swoosh heard in my deaf ear. Very weird. 

Any thoughts?

Hi Neal,

I'm 2 weeks out of surgery and notice the clicking mostly in the morning upon waking up.  Do you still have some pressure?  I attribute mine more to continued changes inside due to surgery.  My clicking is just like "airplane" clicking, with changing pressures.

I have described the same echoing sounds in my update posts.  Any noise above and beyond what I would consider "normal" seems to "bounce" or "echo" to the deaf ear, but mainifests itself as a loud swoosh or other noise.  Not true hearing, but I get the same pattern.  Brains are really complex things.  I just attribute the noises to my brain making up the noises it thought it should have heard in the other ear :).

Hope that helps.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 10:12:18 am »
Hi Neal! To talk about tinnitus, I`ve had mine for about 30 years. Over the course of that time many new sounds have come and gone. Right now I`ve pretty much setteled into clicking w/ ring when I get up to purely ring during the couse of the day. I`ve done the Neuormonics which has been about 50% affective which is a big help. It takes time to get used to things. Over the course of my  time for the most part it`s just part of my "being" which I guess you can say I addapted to. Keep looking into whatever may help you. At the beginning being not used to things might make it a little more uncomfortable. As time goes by I do believe you will get whatever help you need and will adjust to everything else which will become normal to you. I`m glad to see your doing well, Mickey

Mickey,
So the swoosh and clicking sounds I hear in my 'deaf' ear is part of tinnitus?  I do hear ringing sounds when there is a lot of background noise but as things quiet down it goes away. What is Neuromonics?

Thanks,
Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 11:21:54 am »
Hi Mickey, there is also the option of the cros aid which requires you too wear two aids, also about the baha i took it home for the weekend and it is really good, the headband doesnt really do it justice as its tight on your head, she gave me a device that you put between your front teeth and bite on it the baha clicks onto it , its amazing the sound quality, and she said it is even better once its on your conduction bone, i havent tried the transear yet so i cant comment on that.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Esperanza

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 11:22:37 am »
Hi,   I have all those sounds and more at varying times... no set pattern or times though.  It gets worse when I get dehydrated although
coffee doesn't affect it (as long as I drink enough h20 throughout the day!).  

It's been 14 months for me and I do find the SSD VERY frustrating although I cope very well generally so do not share the fact...
I have been spending some time in theatre (surgical!) but it has been a nightmare at times  - not from the tinnitus but just not quite being able to hear all that's being said when machines are going and masks are on.  It has made me feel quite at a disadvantage.  Fortunately I am just observing - would obviously not be able to work in that kind of environment -  and have only been asked to do one thing and the surgeon was foreign and again masked up but fortunately the scrub nurse couldn't understand him either to begin with lol (unless she is SSD to!!)  I think I give myself a hard time.  

Sometimes I have to ask people that do know I am SSD if they can hear something I am struggling with and most often they can't hear whatever it is too well either.  I am reminded there are worse things to have pretty regularly: the ward I am on at the moment gave a diagnosis of ovarian ca in the last couple of days which they believe has spread to other organs and the poor lady was obviously devastated...  

... doing my best to keep things in proportion but yes, frustration is my biggest problem -  really miss my hearing at times and wish the tinnitus would take a hike!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:32:21 am by Esperanza »
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 12:20:03 pm »
I live in Canada and sadly we do not have the Transear... still waiting and hoping it will be here soon.
I am very interested to see what you think.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Mickey

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 04:26:23 pm »
Hi Neal! Yes, all kinds of sounds can be considered tinitus. My mother has also had it for as long as she can remember. There is something called American tinnitus association. I did look them up a couple of years ago and went to a meeting with my mom on Long Island. Very many people do have it other than people with AN. It`s my only symptom other than a little hearing loss high pitched. Neouromonic was an expensive treatment which subdued the intensity of my sounds. They do have some audiologists out on Long Island who deal with it. I really don`t have their names but just invesigate a little. I f you need mine shes in NYU medical center, Theresa Shaw. Mickey

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:35:10 pm »

I did try the BAHA demo at my ENT's office and was not impressed.

Seriously, Neal?   While I would never "push" a BAHA implant on anyone, I have never heard this comment from anyone who has tried the demo; actually I'm pretty shocked  :o

I'm also curious.  What didn't impress you? 

I personally was blown away by the demo and it solidified my decision to have the implant.  I consider the BAHA one of the best things I ever did.

Give us some feedback, please.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 08:25:14 pm »

I did try the BAHA demo at my ENT's office and was not impressed.

Seriously, Neal?   While I would never "push" a BAHA implant on anyone, I have never heard this comment from anyone who has tried the demo; actually I'm pretty shocked  :o

I'm also curious.  What didn't impress you? 

I personally was blown away by the demo and it solidified my decision to have the implant.  I consider the BAHA one of the best things I ever did.

Give us some feedback, please.

Jan

Jan,

I found the benefit to be minimal -- certainly not enough to convince me to go through another surgery and get the implant. I definitely was not blown away. It was 3 weeks after my surgery and I would try it again if the idea of the implant was not so unappealing to me. I fear a similar result with the TransEar. Unfortunately they do not offer a demo, But here in NY you have 45 days to evaluate a hearing aid and return it if not satisfied.  I might just be one of those who have to learn to live with SSD without anything for now.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha

Vivian B.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 08:40:42 pm »
Hi Esperanza,

I too have had hearing loss for sometime and it is getting worse. It is frustrating. I even hear my own voice through my an ear when I am speaking and find that I speak loud. I am also watch and wait. My an is 8mm. The surgeon told me that with surgery I will lose all my hearing immediately. The stats for radiation show that maybe if there is some hearing left, it may be preserved but lost overtime. I am concerned with more than that right now. I understand how you feel. It is annoying. Specially when you are at work and have to deal with people and the phone.  Do you have ear blocking. I have been getting that, feels like my right side is under water.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 12:06:41 am »
Hi Vivian,

Progressive hearing loss is what got me into treatment rather than waiting on my 8mm AN. I remember a discussion with Tumbleweed, where we were saying that if you could preserve your eyesight for another 5 years, would you do it, or would you say that's not long enough, might as well be blind now? We both concluded that saving some hearing for a while was worth the effort, even if it is not forever. I am wearing a hearing aid in my AN ear, and am happy to have some useful hearing on that side. It will probably fade, even my right ear is fading gradually, but it seems like it will be useful for some time yet.

I really don't mind the tinnitus, it is the darn crickets everywhere that bug me. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 06:05:25 am »
Thanks for the feedback, Neal.

The BAHA is definitely not for everyone.  The TransEar isn't either.  It's just like your treatment decision - very personal choice.

I'm not sure, but you may have tried the BAHA demo too soon post op.  My doc insisted that I wait for my head to "heal" from my AN surgery and while healing is different for everyone I generally think it takes at least a few months.  Then again whether your head had healed or not may be irrelevant.

Good luck with the TransEar - lots of forumites like theirs.

If you find you don't, there is still the possibility you'll adapt just fine to being SSD.  Lots do.

Please keep us posted.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Esperanza

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 07:58:15 am »
I wonder if the experience of treansear/baha differs depending on the bone density of the skull?  I haven't had a trial of either so
I don't know but I  figure my skull is pretty dense! so I am hoping the transear will suit or maybe it's better if it's not so dense? Anyone know?

Vivian, I have no hearing at all in my AN ear - completely gone and suddenly unfortunately - catastrophic loss they called it and I agree - I know if I had the chance at saving any of my hearing I would go for it without hesitation especially knowing what I know now.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:00:51 am by Esperanza »
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 02:03:47 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.   I got fitted for the new TransEar 380-HF today.  I will post once I get it and report my review.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha