Author Topic: Numb jaw,tongue and lips  (Read 26739 times)

Betty-jane

Numb jaw,tongue and lips
« on: March 17, 2009, 10:26:05 pm »
Has anyone had a numb jaw,tongue and or lips :-\ off and on?  Mine started on Monday... its just a little feeling but will it get worse?
Had hearing loss right ear, first MRI Oct./07, AN found - 12mm  (wait and see)
Sept./08 second MRI - AN grew to 17mm, waited from then to Feb.16 to see Dr. to see when surgery to be.
Told it could be up to a year wait.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Numb jaw,tongue and lips
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 04:15:54 am »
Betty-Jane,

I think it is one of the after affects!!  Mine lasted a while.  Just be careful when you are drinking or eating hot stuff....you might not realize it is too hot until it is too late.  I had a few lip bubbles, but then I got used to checking first. 
You probably should check with your doctor to make sure it is a "normal" sensation for you.  Better to be safe than sorry.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Seal

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 06:53:06 am »
Hi Betty Jane,

Yes, I am also waiting to get surgery re-scheduled, and the numberness you refer to will get worse.   I now have total numbness in one side of my face, my scalp, my gums, my tongue, even that side of my throat is effected.   As it progresses, you will adjust, but just be careful biting while eating, hot liquids, etc.     The good news is that we do not have any pre-operation paralysis in our faces.     So we can be thankful for the little things.

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

mk

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 07:19:22 am »
Hi all,

These symptoms mean that the AN is compressing the trigeminal nerve (cranial nerve V). The condition is also known as "hypoethesia" (not sure about the spelling). It occurs in about 30% of patients, usually with relatively larger ANs, in proximity to the brain stem. This is a sensory nerve, with three branches, responsible for feeling throughout the face. When it is affected it can cause metallic taste and/or burnt tongue sensation, numbness throughout, as well as dry eye. Watch out about the latter, because it sneaks on you and before you know your eye becomes very dry and irritated. Eye drops help if this happens.
In my experience, these symptoms started from the mouth area, and quickly propagated throughout. The good news is that you can easily live with these symptoms - you just need to get used to the altered sensation and take care of the dry eye if you get it.

The trigeminal nerve is not related to the facial nerve, which is responsible for motion. So don't worry about getting facial weakness etc.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

reg

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 02:58:22 pm »
i have facial numbness or at least i think thats what it is my facial movements arent affected just one side of my face feels as if i had a shot of noviciane i also have severe dry eye on that side so i can relate question is will it ever subside   :(
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

TaraT

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 03:41:44 pm »
I started to get a tingly tongue in October.  Since then, under my tongue and right side of the face is a little numb.  Thank goodness it did not affect my eyes.  I wear contacts and that would be bad.  Mine seems beter in the morning and gets a little worse as the day progresses.  I am pretty used to it now though and it does not bother me as much.
1/7/09 2 cm AN diagnosed
3/24/09 Translab surgery
Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz, AGH, Pittsburgh, PA
SSD right ear
Facial paralysis right side 3/6

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 04:31:40 pm »
Oh yeah, I have that.  One of life's little annoyances.  It's the whole side of my face also, inside of mouth, tongue, lips, scalp - the whole deal.  Bummer  :P :(

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Betty-jane

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 12:48:33 am »
So is this an "AN" thing?  Or are we just lucky to have this also?
Had hearing loss right ear, first MRI Oct./07, AN found - 12mm  (wait and see)
Sept./08 second MRI - AN grew to 17mm, waited from then to Feb.16 to see Dr. to see when surgery to be.
Told it could be up to a year wait.

mk

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 07:20:19 am »
This is certainly an AN thing and it can be a presenting symptom. This is how I discovered mine, since I didn't have any hearing problems, or any other of the typical AN symptoms. I complained to my family doctor about the numbness and he ordered the MRI to investigate it. Bingo, the AN was there.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

tenai98

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 07:41:26 am »
The first time I had this novocaine feeling on my AN side I thought I was about to have a heart attack or stroke...the tingling sensation was around my mouth and nose...I decided to wait 24 hrs to see what happened. This was pre dx for AN but had MRI done.  Then I found this site and realized it was due to the tumor.  I dont think I lost the actual sensation/feeling but it just felt like it with tingling.  Now it comes and goes and I get a tightness on the upper check area....All thanks to Booger my brain tumor
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Mickey

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 08:52:36 am »
I guess you can say that where a AN is located is usually involved in the symptoms we experience. Although size may matter, even a small AN in the wrong place may have to be treated differently. Sometimes even larger one will show minor symptoms if located in a place where nothing symptomatic is. In any case It seems to be that all AN`s are different and have to be treated accordingly. Although AN`s are similiar each case is unique! Mickey

lauralynn

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 11:44:04 am »
Hello Betty-Jane,

Before I found I had an AN I noticed a little numbness in my lip (left side only).  That was over a year ago.  Just before I went for my MRI (Jan. 09) I noticed tingling around my left eye.  The doctor said it's one of the symptoms.  It comes and goes.  I know the left side of my face feels just a tad numb....just a little bit.  For me these symptoms (numbness in lip, tongue and left side of face) haven't really worsened.  Sometimes I think they even lessen.  I'm sure everyone's symptoms are different, all depends the size and location of the AN.

Take care,

Laura Lynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

stevek

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 03:29:34 pm »
Up to a year wait?  get a new surgeon before anything else.

Stevek
Diagnosed 5/14/08   4cmx2.8cmx3.1cm
16 hr. Translab 6/9/08
Spinal Fluid Leak 6/12, under control & released 6/16
Dr. Hillman, Dr.Chen, & Dr. Aziz @ Allegheny General in Pitt.
2cm regrowth treated with Stereotactic Radiosurgery & released 6/8/11
Dr. Fuhrer, Dr. Chen, & Dr. Hillman @ AGH

JudyT

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 09:59:39 am »
I too have these symptoms......dry eye, numbness in nose, cheek,tongue,palette. It feels like I have a sunburn or sometimes cold sensation. Left half of lips numb and feel chapped. Jaw/neck pain present also. (41/2 years out from CK) Massage seems to help sometimes. Headache over left eyebrow amd sinus clog also.
Judy

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 12:19:34 pm »
Mine was a trigeminal tumor so I have numbness, some pain and other annoying symptoms.  My symptoms appeared as a result of surgery (they had to mess with the trigeminal nerve to get the entire tumor out), but it has slowly been improving.  I suspect once the tumor is not pressing on the trigeminal nerve your symptoms will go away, but what do I know?
Good luck,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.