Author Topic: Is AN growth ever sporadic?  (Read 2877 times)

microsoftfree

Is AN growth ever sporadic?
« on: March 29, 2009, 08:09:32 am »
Hope you all don't mind all the questions from someone who isn't even diagnosed yet.  I'm wondering if AN growth can come in spurts. Grow for a little while , stop for awhile and then start growing again? The reason I ask is because my episodes of dizziness have done this and might affect the diagnosis if a tumor is not visible or very small.

I also have times when a "fog film" comes over my eyes and I have to blink a lot to make it go away. Don't know if it's related, but haven't seen any evidence that it is. Seems to be holding hands with the dizzy spells.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:12:02 am by microsoftfree »

lori67

Re: Is AN growth ever sporadic?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 12:41:17 pm »
Don't worry, no one minds the questions - we've all been in your shoes and asked a bunch of them too!

As far as I know, yes, AN growth can be sporadic.  I know certain hormones can cause it to have a growth spurt (the only ones I know of specifically are the increased hormones of pregnancy, but I'm sure there are others that can cause a growth spurt or a slow down).  In some people, like my dad, it seems to just grow a little and then just stop for no apparent reason.  I think there is so much they still don't know about what causes AN's or what causes them to continue to grow or stop altogether.  Yet another part of AN's that seems to be very individual.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

microsoftfree

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 12:57:15 pm »
Thanks, Lori...just thinking about what I need to discuss with my doc just in case. I'm trying to make 2 lists...one list if I have an AN and the other list if I don't.

List if I do:
1. How big is it?
2. Where is it in reference to balance, hearing and facial nerves?
3. When should I get another MRI and should it be a closed MRI next time or go to the same open one.
4. What part does it play in my heart rate and blood pressure fluctuating?
5. What changes if any would affect when the next MRI is done? More hearing loss, more frequent dizziness, tinnitus louder?

List if I don't:
1. Should I have a follow up MRI (and when) just in case it was too small to show up?
2. What the heck is wrong with me?! LOL

Keri

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 08:14:56 pm »
I hope you (and bambi as well) find out something tomorrow, or at least within the next couple of days. Let us know!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

lori67

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:47:17 am »

2. What the heck is wrong with me?! LOL

I think I might make that question number one if there's no AN!!   ;)

If you're like everyone else, I'm sure your list of questions will grow by the day!

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

microsoftfree

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 05:18:58 pm »
This waiting is unbearable! I know he got the report Friday afternoon, but no news is good news, right? I keep hitting the refresh button for unread posts about Whitney. I have been planning a trip to NC to visit my parents (in their mid-80's) for Mother's Day and my B-Day, but haven't made reservations yet until I get some answers. I wanted badly to do a road trip (I'm in Texas), but my knee acted up over the weekend and go for a cortisone shot on Friday. Figure I'd better fly.  >:(