Author Topic: Facial Synkenisis (post Bell Palsy) and the electric toothbrush?  (Read 18910 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

I am taking an informal survey of those ANA folks who have facial synkenisis- ONLY.

1) Do you, or did you, use an electric toothbrush during your recovery time from Bell’s palsy? Yes or No?

2) If yes to question #1 -which of your facial muscles are affected by your synkenisis?

Here is a diagram for reference of the facial "muscles" and their proper terms
http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/imagescooked/9300W.jpg

3) If yes to question #1 which nerves do you think cross-wired in your synkenisis ?

Here is a diagram of the facial "nerves" and their proper terms.
http://www.med.yale.edu/caim/cnerves/cn7/cn7_graphics/fig7_1.gif

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Cheryl R

Re: Facial Synkenisis (post Bell Palsy) and the electric toothbrush?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:12:14 am »
No electrical toothbrush ever.      My problem area is the eye and bet the facial neuroma is part of the problem.   
                                                 Cheryl R     
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:36:50 pm »
Hello DMH,
  1) Starting using an electrical toothbrush about one month after surgery (suffered facial paralysis). I found it difficult to move food around inside my mouth and if I did not rinse my mouth after I ate I would find food there later (gross). I found regular brushing not enough and worried about tooth decay. The electric toothbrush worked wonderful.

2) I have mild synkensis affecting my levator anguli oris muscle. When I close my eye the corner of my mouth goes up. Keep in mind that I cannot frown either so I do not have the pull downwards so this may affect it as well.

I am currently in facial retraining so am given exercises to correct this. Among many other exercises to strenthen the muscles.

Michelle  ;D
Still patiently waiting for my spontaneous blink to return.  ;)
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 08:06:38 pm »
Okay, I know I don't quite fit the criteria, but I do have facial paralysis and use an electric toothbrush.  I have no facial synkinesis.  Thought that might add to your information.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 09:01:14 pm »
Okay, I'll bite.

I read this post earlier and I can't control my curiosity any longer.

Just what is the correlation between synkenisis and electric toothbrushes?  Is there one, DHM? or is that what you are trying to establish?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 04:11:27 am »
my synkenisis is mostly the eye (but not very noticable) no electric tooth brush used.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 08:44:38 am »
Jan,

Interesting question ask,
Quoting you
“Just what is the correlation between synkenisis and electric toothbrushes?�

I have synkenisis and hypertonic muscles  that would have been vibrated by the toothbrush. I am very curious as to if this stimulation (or “overâ€? stimulation) has anything to do with abnormal nerve re-growth being that electrical stimulation is not encouraged in the early recovery stages of bells palsy- by NMFRT therapists.

I am going to start with inquiring within the community I know here (i.e. the ANA) and see the results. If there looks to be anything conclusive to this I will then ask the Bell Palsy forum.

I am just ever so curious to see what the replies, here, are going to be and if there is any correlation or not.

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

crazyd925

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 09:18:24 am »
I'm not sure of the relation but, I can't stand using an electric toothbrush even after 10 years of the removal of a 3.8cm AN. Even in the hosp after surgery, I craved fruits but couldn't handle the ones that had a crunch because of the vibrations they set off in my head. The sensations are very uncomfortable to me even now. I don't think I could ever live in an area where earthquakes are common!!
Dianne in Colorado, USA
3.8 cm Translab Left side
Removed 7/98 Dr. Peter Weber at MUSC (Medical Univ SC-Charleston);
1 Regrowth Diagnosed 3/09

lori67

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 02:20:39 pm »
The reason that electrical stimulation is not used is because the nerves conduct electricity and adding more current through them could cause the wiring to get "crossed" during healing.  An electric toothbrush wouldn't be giving off any electrical output or you'd electrocute yourself when you tried to brush.  Unless you're using some sort of incredibly high powered toothbrush, but I think in that case, synkinesis would be the least of your worries.   :o

But in answer to the original questions, I had some synkinesis before my 7-12, but only around my eye.  I do use one of those sonic care toothbrushes and have for a few years, but I swear I've never used it in my eye. ;D

Keep in mind that true Bell's Palsy is different than facial nerve injury.  Bell's Palsy is usually caused by a virus that affects the facial nerve but does not cause any physical trauma, like having an AN removed from the facial nerve would.  Electrical stimulation for true Bell's Palsy is actually very effective, because the nerve fibers themselves are intact and there isn't the concern for developing synkinesis from the nerves "rewiring" themselves during healing - they're already wired -but the signals aren't getting through.  Once the virus is taken care of, the nerve signals are able to move along the way they are meant to.

Lori
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:27:08 pm by lori67 »
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 02:22:38 pm »
  I do use one of those sonic care toothbrushes and have for a few years, but I swear I've never used it in my eye. ;D
:D :D ;) ;D :D

Too funny!

DHM

lori67

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 02:28:13 pm »
Oops- Sorry - I just edited my last post because I hit enter before I was done!  Darn laptop.. I'll never get used to this thing...

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 08:15:29 am »
I still don't understand the difference between Paralysis and synkenisis.  I had full movement for the first week after surgery and then they think because of swelling, within 2 days I had no movement AN side.  After hospital stay I went into a REHAB center for 5 weeks and the physical therapists used ice, a small vibrator and told me 2-3 times a day I should use an electric toothbrush when I do my facial exercises.  They said it was all to stimulate the nerves and muscle in the area before you try to move it.  I used the toothbrush at home also for another 2 months.  3 months post OP I could close my eye again and at 5 months my grin was even.  I still have some facial weakness but I don't do my exercises nearly as often as I should.

Dan in Germany 
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 08:29:52 am »
Dan~
That is interesting that they actually TOLD you to use an elelctric toothbrush!  Somebody correct me if I am giving the wrong information, but the way I understand it is that paralysis is what you think it is - where you can not MOVE anything.  Synkensis is when the nerves are regenerating but are "mis-firing" so like when you blink your eye, your mouth moves a bit or you want to smile but you grimace instead.  It kind of like the wires got crossed..

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 09:14:17 am »
...hmmm, don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I had Bell's Palsy (not AN related) 19 years ago - tiny, tiny bit of synkenisis - never used an electric toothbrush, before or after. 

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 10:11:19 am »
Kay - you're right!  Spoken like a true medical professional!  I've always thought you'd make a good nurse!  You're always taking care of people anyway - might as well get paid for it, right?

Lori