Author Topic: Facial Synkenisis (post Bell Palsy) and the electric toothbrush?  (Read 18900 times)

LADavid

Re: Facial Synkenisis (post Bell Palsy) and the electric toothbrush?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 06:35:18 pm »
Good survey DHM.
I never used an electric toothbrush.  But on the subject of over stimulation -- I have a theory for my situation at least.  I live alone.  There were days at a time when I didn't talk with anyone during the intitial recovery period.  In otherwords, I was not using my face muscles and nerves as most people normally do -- talking.  Instead, I was using face exercises from the Palsy website which were exagerated movements -- not movements you would normally do -- or at least not without other counter movements like talking.   I believe that fed incorrect information to my nerves.

As far as the affected muscles (hope I get the spelling right) Orbicularis oculi and oris, three Levator, both depressors, Proceous, and a strong interference from the Platysme.

As to the nerves (which by the way was the first time I saw a nerve chart like that -- thank you), I think the Brancial and the Visceral Nerves.  It's really hard to tell.

By the way, I have my second round of Botox next Friday.  I really could tell the difference when the first round wore off.  How are you doing?  Simon (chambo)?  Debbie (oHIo)?  How are you both doing?

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

lori67

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 06:48:57 pm »
David,

Being alone doesn't stop me from talking - sometimes I'm the only one who listens!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 07:52:59 pm »
I'm not saying a word...I am not saying a word...
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 08:49:10 pm »
I hear you Lori.........now back to our regular scheduled program.......

heheheheheehehehe  ;D

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 09:13:50 pm »
I'm sorry Lori, what did you say?
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 01:59:26 pm »
Hijack....nice picture Marci! We are all embracing the 'new us'!
Hugs Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

LADavid

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 12:23:46 am »
Lori -- Talking to a cat always concerned me.  I didn't know if I was making sense to the cat.  And I really didn't know if the cat cared.  I chose the middle-ground, sanity and silence.  A cordial smile for the cat and nothing more.  She really didn't care as long as she was fed.  I don't talk to myself.  I don't listen.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 04:54:34 am »
Kay,  they were pretty sure that almost all movement would come back because it was there after surgery.  I think this is why they wanted me to try stimulating the muscles and nerves.  I always used the toothbrush, ice, or  vibrator when sitting in front of a mirror and doing facial exercises.  I would try to close my eye and then stimulate the area that moves the eyelid and try again.  Sometimes I saw more movement sometimes no movement, but I do think it helped. 

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

kenneth_k

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 01:24:39 pm »
My facial therapist asked if I had an electrical tooth brush, because she thought it would do me good stimulating my gums.
I didn't have one, and now I don't think I wan't one ;)

I have some minor issues left. Involuntary movement of the corner of my mouth when closing eye, dimple in chin and occasional slight snarl. However, the dry eye is not dry anymore.

Regards, Kenneth

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 01:05:33 pm »
Lori -- Talking to a cat always concerned me.

OMG, David!!!  Are you serious???!!!  I always talk to my cats - we have 3.  My daughter thinks I'm crazy - and I probably am; but not because I talk to cats  ;)

Sorry for the hijack!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 07:18:01 pm »
Jan, your daughter probably knows best, but I'd say you're not completely crazy until the cat starts to answer you back.  And it makes sense.

Lori

***end of hijack****
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 09:26:43 pm »
Lori,

So who is this Jack character that you keep saying "hi" to - anyway?  :-\ ;) ;D :D

DHM  :-*

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Kaybo

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 09:30:42 pm »
Good one, DHM!!  ;D

K
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:06:36 pm by sgerrard »
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2009, 08:44:18 am »
Oh, just some guy I never heard of until I came on this forum!   ;)

I talk to him a lot too, as you can tell.

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 11:49:33 am »
Oh, just some guy I never heard of until I came on this forum!   ;)

I talk to him a lot too, as you can tell.

Lori

Yeah, I talked to him a lot myself.  Lori's married though, so Jack's mine  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways