Author Topic: Newbi going to House next week  (Read 1577 times)

pamk

Newbi going to House next week
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:54:26 am »
Thank you all who responded to my "scared to death" message.  I am headed to House/St. Vincent on Monday the 16th.  we are staying at Seton Hall, so glad to hear from you all that this is a good choice.  I live in Okla.  so I will be far away from home.  My husband and best friend are coming with me.  My sons coming for a few days to visit.
 My tumor is a little over 2 cm not sure if that is considered average, large etc. but it is what it is.  I have moved from crying frequently to just feeling "flat".  I am better there than being afraid all the time.  Waiting is so horrible!  I have been working, my symptoms are tinnitis and hearing loss (around 40%) in my right ear.  So my poor co-workers have been great trying to keep me up, telling me to pull the brain tumor card when we really need to get something done.  so here I go.
anyone in Oklahoma? or the LA group that meets with folks pre-op?

thanks for the support.  I am going to be back at work In May!
Pam
2.1 cm AN
Translab at House/St Vincent March 09.

Kaybo

Re: Newbi going to House next week
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:57:10 am »
Hi Pam!
I am not in OK, but I live in TEXAS!!  Where in OK do you live??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

texsooner

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 08:57:58 am »
Pam, I live in Houston, but was born, raised and lived almost 30 years in okie-land. I'm a Sooner grad and have my oldest son in Norman going to OU too.  You've made a good choice going to House for your surgery....It came in a close second for me. Had I not found an good experienced surgical team down here, I would have been going to House too. Feel free to send email or PM to me if you want to hear an AN experience from an okie. 

Good luck on your surgery.

Patrick   
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 04:50:22 pm »
I, too, am in Houston, but I have some family and friends that live in OK.  (Jenni used to live just outside of OK City; I think in Broken Arrow).  Anyhow, you're in GREAT hands at House.  And, LADavid, Nancy, and maybe a few others are the "offiicial" LA Welcoming Committee.  They're all House alumni and love getting together with new House patients.  Perhpas they'll chime in here... Oh, David... Nancy...  *whistle*  :)

Congrats!  I'm sure everything will turn out just fine!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

NL

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 05:04:30 pm »
I thought it was my tinnitus acting up...but I guess it was just Brian whistling.  ;)

Hi Pam,

I've already put a call out to my other LA buddies. Are you traveling on Monday the 16th - or is that your pre-op day? I'll send you a PM and we can work out the details.

I'm glad you're feeling a little better about things. And for what it's worth, your 2 cm tumor is generally considered medium, not large.

Talk to you soon,

Nancy

1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan