Author Topic: Can You Help?  (Read 2206 times)

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
Can You Help?
« on: March 13, 2009, 07:42:09 pm »
I've recently found something I'm passionate about - stopping puppy mills - and it has actually helped me feel physically better. (wierd, huh). I have volunteered for an animal rescue group for about a year now - technial help, really...I designed, developed and maintain our website, and am also on the board of another animal group that is just in it's infancy (yeah, I'm the crazy dog lady on the corner  ;))

I am 50 yrs old and am going to my very first protest tomorrow - a National Peaceful Protest of Pet Land stores, who openly buy from puppy mills.  :'(

Right now in Iowa there is a bill that will hopefully be voted on next week - to put more restrictions on puppy mills. There is an online petition about this bill whos goal is to get 2000 signatures. If you are interested in taking a look or possibly signing it, too, here is the link. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/69/stop-puppy-mills-in-the-state-of-iowausa.

I can't believe how energized I have felt since getting involved in this. Sure has taken my mind off of other things (tinitus, tiredness, etc.).

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Darlene

Re: Can You Help?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 09:04:34 pm »
Dog Lover,

I don't live in Iowa, so I guess it wouldn't matter if I signed but please know my thoughts are with you for success.  Glad to hear you are feeling better, doing a good thing really does help. 

Good Luck & Take care,
Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:13:02 pm »
Don't know if it matters where you live or not. Lots of people have signed from all over the US and Canada.  ;D

And yes, it really does help, doesn't it?

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson

lori67

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 09:23:08 pm »
Cathy -

Good for you!  It does help to get involved that something you love, whether you've had an AN or not.

I will gladly sign the petition if it will help (I don't live in Iowa either).  I was active in greyhound rescue when I lived in NY and had a retired racing greyhound for almost 10 years.  I'm a sucker for animals and kids - I always have too many of both!   :D

Good luck at your protest - hope I don't see you on the news!   :D

My pound puppies and I will be supporting you in spirit!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Darlene

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 10:10:13 pm »
OK, I will sign now!   

Good Luck! 

Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 02:31:01 pm »
Cathy ~

Good for you!  My dad, a part-time (volunteer) dog obedience trainer, was the proud owner of a purebred, champion Boxer and detested puppy mills.  I grew up being a dog lover and still am, although my relatively small condo doesn't allow me the luxury of owning a dog right now.  I certainly empathize with your cause. 

Obviously, the proven tactic of finding something outside of yourself to focus on and put your time and energy into is proving beneficial to you, as it usually does.  I applaud your work and trust that it will continue to help you and the puppies you are trying to protect.  Oh, I signed the petition.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 03:49:14 pm »
Awesome! Thanks everyone. I hate pictures of myself, but had my brother take this of me with my phone. Didn't do too bad of a job.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 05:56:39 pm »
Done!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 06:36:59 pm »
I'm so glad you are involved with such a worthy cause!  It does help to get our mind on other things, and I'm so happy for you.
GREAT PICTURE!  You go, girl!
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 07:08:58 pm »
Signed...good job Cathy. These places really need to be closed down. I'm a big proponent of going to the local pound/rescue and getting a dog. All the dogs I've ever had have been pound pups. I just lost my best friend of 15 years, Samba. When the pain settles a bit i'll go find a pup that reminds me of her to share our home with. The place seems so empty without her.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 08:38:01 pm »
Ahhh...I understand exactly how you feel.  :'(  That's how we ended up with our little Riley ... and then got Sammie Roo as a sister for her.
Thank you all for your help!

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson