Author Topic: Lots of questions and not getting any answers  (Read 6402 times)

kma

Lots of questions and not getting any answers
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:24:41 am »
Hi.  I had surgery on February 6, 2009 and It's just over one month from my surgery.  I'm not feeling good and I have questions that my doctor can't seem to answer.  Maybe there are no good answers but I'm very frustrated and am have a real hard time not being constantly sad and worried.  I'm hoping maybe one of you can give me an opinion or maybe help me see the light at the end of the tunnel.  So here I go with my questions and I'm sorry it seems like way too many questions ~ but here goes...

I can't hear out of my right ear or I should say, the only the only thing I hear is really loud buzzing (static, humming...not really sure how to describe it). After I'm in a room with lots of noise, it's even louder.  I asked the doctor how long before we knew if my hearing would come back and the only answer was ~ could be weeks ~ could be months.

When I go from standing to sitting or sitting to standing I get a major head rush. It also happens if I try to bend down. Is this normal ~ should I expect that it will go away?

I hearmy heart beat in my left ear. I can usually ignore it except when I exert myself it gets very loud. Is that normal?

Looking to left is hard to do and it does not feel good. I think it's because of the muscles they cut on my right side.....too tight!! It makes me a little dizzy.  Normal?

My head feels like I have a bag of sand in it. Very heavy and awkward. Can't really explain it but it's kind of disorienting. My head hurts when I walk to hard or if it's jolted at all or if it shakes or if I'm on a bumpy road. Is this normal?  Does it go away?

My face hurts when I open my mouth (not funny) ~ my lower jaw hurts. Not sure if it's muscles or sinus'. Normal?

I just feel so frustrated and I don't know what's normal and what's not and I'm really having a hard time imagining that I'll ever feel normal again.  Any words of wisdom out there would really be helpful to me.  Thanks. 
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

Cheryl R

Re: Lots of questions and not getting any answers
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:49:58 am »
Hello.       One month after surgery is not long at all and yes it is normal for what you are experiencing now.      It will improve in time and some sooner than others.    Some will even take possibly several months to feel better completely.    We all vary in how we feel afterwards and some have more weird feelings than others.                  The hearing may not come back at all.       You will get used to some noises you hear and some settle down once there is less swelling.     The jaw pain will improve in time.    That can take a while also.     I have had more than one AN suregery due to being NF2 and only had that with one of the surgeries butmakes it hard to eat.   
 Were you told to be careful not to strain or bend over much or do any heavy lifting post op? 
Also make sure you are drinking enough fluids.             It is no fun to feel so off and why am I not all normal since it has been a month.             The emotional feelings are a worry too and if you don't feel better in time may need to talk to someone as depression can be a possibilty post op also.                     Ask any questions to us anytime.       We have all been thru it.
  Keep being up and active and do what walking you can even if is not easy.     That wil help things too.                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

kma

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:02:52 am »
Cheryl ~

Thank you for your comments and for your positive words.  It really helps to hear from someone that's gone through it.  I started out as a happy/positive person and find myself being negative and getting upset with my doctors.  Maybe it's just my evil twin.  : )  Thanks again Cheryl.  I will keep trying!! 
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

Richard in Palacios

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:34:05 am »
Hello kma,
I am not a surgery postie having gone the radiation route instead.  I do understand your frustration though and can only encourage you to go to the "post surgical procedure" section of this forum.  Many, many good people have posted their stories there and I am sure you'll find some very good info there.  I'll be very surprised if you don't hear from many of our "senior members" replying to your post.  I have read many of their responces and you'll find that like Cheryl, they are very knowledgeable.  Hang in there, help is bound to be on the way! 

Good luck,
Richard
Was AKA "RED in Palacios". That account now inactive. Originally diagnosed in 10/06 9mm X 3.6mm Waiting and watching.
As of 4/08 15mm X 6mm.  No longer waiting and watching.  Had SRS 6/10/08 at Methodist Hospital in Houston

lori67

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 11:38:14 am »
kma,

Probably not what you want to hear, but...normal.  Sorry!

I had all of those things going on too after my surgery.  I will tell you that it's all gotten better - so there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you.  It's just hard to say how long your tunnel will be compared to other tunnels.

It took a few months for the "noise" in my deaf ear to calm down.  The first time I tried to run or walk fast, it felt like my brain was rattling around loose in my head - that got better.  The muscles on the side of my neck felt like they shrunk in the wash for a few months - but you have to remember, they had to go through them to get to  your AN, so they need time to heal too -I found a warm heating pad and some gentle stretching helped.  This could also be explaining the pain in your jaw area.  I found that just regular tylenol would help on the days it really bothered me.

I agree with Cheryl that staying hydrated is very important.  Dehydration could cause the dizziness when you change position - from sitting to standing...etc.

It is frustrating, but go easy on yourself - it's only been a month.  You can ask your doctor for a referral to PT to help with your dizziness and also to show you how to make your neck feel normal again.  And I've found the best therapy is walking.  Sounds simple, but it really works.

Keep your (sore) chin up!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

kma

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 11:49:40 am »
You guys are all great and are making a really lousy couple of days much better.  For once, my tears are happy or relief or hopeful ~ rather than just my "poor me" tears.  I'm on my way to dig out my heating pad now.  I wish "thank you" sounded bigger.  ~kma

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 12:21:04 pm »
making a "thank you" sound bigger is no worries.. as we may not "hear" it anyway ;) :)

Hi kma and welcome... and yes, as you can see... normal for many that have gone the same route.  Take time to peruse the forums as there may be info there of help.  Go to the forum home page... then, top left, try a "search" option on any question you may have..... I believe many threads will be the end results with the same type of conversations.... again, "normal" issues you may be enduring.

Hang in there and again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 02:49:11 pm »
Kma ~

Welcome!  You've already receive excellent responses so I'll be atypically brief and comment that all of your symptoms are fairly familiar and so, normal.  They'll subside,  but exactly when is impossible to know, just that they will.  I trust that the light at the end of the tunnel just got a bit brighter.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kma

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 03:04:27 pm »
Jim, Phyl,  Lori, Richard and Cheryl~  I think I have to try having a life.  It seems like I've been sitting here waiting for the big moment when "miracle" I feel normal again.  Maybe I just have to bite my lip and get on with some sort of living.  I have about 2 weeks before I have to go back to work and maybe if I give it a shot ~ I can convince myself that it's doable ~ livable....something.  I'm just so overwhelmed by the kindness you guys have all shown me.  I started out really sad today and you have all helped me deal with another day!!  It's 5pm here (Michigan) and I think it's a good time for a walk.  Thanks. 

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 03:07:34 pm »
kma~
I am so glad that you found this site - I had told your hubby about it.  I really think that it will help to see what other people have say and what that others have gone through this too.  You won't find a better, more caring and helpful group of people than here!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 03:13:23 pm »
Jim, Phyl,  Lori, Richard and Cheryl~  I think I have to try having a life.  It seems like I've been sitting here waiting for the big moment when "miracle" I feel normal again.  Maybe I just have to bite my lip and get on with some sort of living.  I have about 2 weeks before I have to go back to work and maybe if I give it a shot ~ I can convince myself that it's doable ~ livable....something.  I'm just so overwhelmed by the kindness you guys have all shown me.  I started out really sad today and you have all helped me deal with another day!!  It's 5pm here (Michigan) and I think it's a good time for a walk.  Thanks. 

kma... for me... and only for me... one thing I have learned over time... many here know I have multiple ailments with which I deal on a daily basis.. and the key for me (and only me) is this... try to "embrace" my new "Normal" as this is who and how I will be moving forward.. and instead of trying to fix it at all costs, when some of it cannot be fixed, I've learned to "embrace" what I have and what I have been blessed with and take each day as it comes......   :)

Hang in there... you can do it.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 03:27:33 pm »
Here's to you Phyl!!

Love ya!
K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

TP

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 03:58:55 pm »
KMA, the feeling you are experiencing sounds normal. Keep in mind, you have had brain surgery and lots of stuff is in your head and it needs to settle down and that takes time. Tightness, hearing issues, wierd sounds in your ears, tingling sensation in your face, strange taste buds,  balance issues, fullness in your head, all of that seems to be par for the course. Rest, rest and rest. Your body will tell you when it is time to do more things. In the meantime, let your body recover. I learned from even the simpliest surgeries that your body still needs to recover. Walking is good when you are ready to do that. I started walking and that helped my body recover faster, in my opinion. However, I had someone walk with me for a few weeks until I was ready to exercise on my own. After about 3 months I was back to my normal exercise routine. Stay strong and REST!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

lori67

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 04:53:14 pm »
KMA -

Baby steps!  Start out with taking a little walk, maybe a trip to the store if you feel up to it (go when it's not crowded!), get back into a hobby you might have (unless that hobby is skydiving or something - I'd wait a little while on that.   :D).

I think it's to be expected to feel like you have no life right after brain surgery.  It's your body trying to tell you to take it easy and gradually get back into things.  Just think back to before you knew anything about AN's - if your friend had told you he/she had just had brain surgery a month ago, you'd probably expect them to take it easy for a while - so it's okay to do that for yourself too.

You'll get your life back - and like Phyl said, it may be a little different than it was before, but different doesn't have to be a bad thing!

Hope you enjoyed your walk!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 05:04:23 pm »
OKay, I'll jump on the "normal" bandwagon.  I, too, experienced just about all of which you described.  If it's any consolation, I'm 10 months post-surgery and most of that has gone away.  The tinnitus (ringing in ear) still gets louder when I'm in a noisy place or strain (e.g. stretching because I'm tired) but I take it all in stride and know that it's just part of my "new normal".  Getting back into a more normal (pre-surgery) routine will help you adjust quicker.  Take it easy and listen very well to your body; it will let you know (usually by throwing you back down to the mat) when it's too much.  Admittedly, I didn't want to do anything but sleep and watch tv for about 6 weeks.

If it helps, my blog with the story of my diagnosis up until about a month or so ago is listed in my signature below.  Perhaps you might take some comfort and relate to much of what is there.

Welcome to the forum!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager