Author Topic: Lots of questions and not getting any answers  (Read 6404 times)

sgerrard

Re: Lots of questions and not getting any answers
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 09:20:58 pm »
I think I have to try having a life. 

Yup. No matter what, there is life after AN. Take it easy and slow, you'll find the way. Welcome to the forum!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 10:48:05 pm »
Hi kma,

Sorry I'm a little late in coming to this thread.  You've already gotten tons of great advice so, I'll just say that yes, everything you are feeling is normal and will get better with time.  As Lori said, baby steps and patience are the key.  My doc and many others had advised not bending over for a few weeks after surgery and also set weight lifting limitations for a few weeks.  Keeping you head above your heart for a couple of weeks may help the sensations you get when bending over and standing quickly  Walking is great exercise and one of the simplest things to do -- it's also good for helping you feel better overall.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Wendy 
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Sonja

• Calendar
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 12:25:13 am »
Hi Kma:

Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for support. I am only 3 weeks out of surgery so I can not share as  much. I can say that there are wonderful folks on this forum and many have already offered great suport and advise. I do know that you do need rest and to listen to your body. I get frustrated sometimes because I want desperately to feel and do what I did pre-surgery. I have to realize trhat I just had major surgery and in time I will get better. You will get better. Try to stay positive. I wish you well.

Sonja
Symptoms 2005
AN diagnosed January 2007
Watch & Wait until now
Surgery (Translab) scheduled February 18, 2009 HEI (Dr. House, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan)
No servicable hearing in affected ear

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 05:57:37 am »
kma,
As most have said, everything that you describe is normal post-op stuff.  I had most all of your symptoms.  It will settle down,  and most things will get better slowly.  Try to ride the wave of recovery; acceptance and patience are the key.  At almost 8 months out, I am feeling great.  I still have some symptoms but they serve to remind me of just how lucky I was to be diagnosed and treated by great doctors.  You will get better and life will get back to almost normal, although you will have a new perspective.
Be well,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

JudyT

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 08:53:45 am »
"Lots of Questions" .....You have come to the right place for answers,comfort and acceptance. The "poster's" here have given me such and more.....after 4+ years after CK. For me...acceptance of my circumstances.....doesn't mean giving in to it. However, it encourages me to move in a forward direction, trying new ways to cope. I recently found the referral to using the heating pad.....what a lifesaver. After "suffering" with trigeminal pain....it has proved to be a powerful weapon against the usual evening onset of pain/tightness in face and neck areas. All of your mentioned issues have besieged me at times.....I have learned to accomodate them as best I can....listening to my body...adjusting routine/expectations to suit what ever is going on at the time. This seems to relieve the stress when my expectations/performance for the day are  reduced. Sometimes this means saying no when I really want it to be yes....lying down....when I want to be out walking...cooking etc. I believe that there are no hard and fast rules for success....challenges are going to come....and go.....some more difficult than others......but we can as participants on this site....offer comfort, new and innovative ideas of coping, understanding....and a positive flow of information to each other in the hope of securing a better future. Keep coming back.....it works!!!!!!      Judy

kma

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 09:01:59 am »
Thanks everybody.  Today I'm shooting for a better day.  I think the rain really makes things worse.  

Pooter~  Your message made me laugh....I've called my sister Pooter since were kids.  : )

I keep feeling like after one month, I would feel alot better.  I see lots of posts where people feel great after only 2 or 3 weeks.  But you're all right ~ I guess everyone is different and my old body is just being stubborn!  

I think you are all fantastic and will try to be as positive as all of you.  

Cold day here in Michigan ~ but I'll be out there walking as soon as my husband gets home.  brrr.  
Cheryl~  I'm about 1 hour from Lansing (south).  Mackinac is beautiful.....I love it there!!  Thank you for the message.  

Kay~ Thanks for pointing me to this website.  It's huge!!  I'm grateful.

Off to drink more water and do something good (not sure what that is yet)  : )

xo to all of you.  kma (kathy)

Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

moe

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 09:16:04 am »
Hi Kathy,
Late chiming in here. You are really doing great. I thing 6-8 weeks should be the normal recovery period, no matter how you feel post op because like everyone said you had BRAIN surgery, and you gotta give your body time to heal properly inside.
What kind of work do you do?
Will you be able to go back part time at first if you work full time?
People see us as normal, but they don't hear the sounds in our head or feel the wooziness/dizziness that we sometimes get.
You have to keep reminding people-Hey, I'm still me but I'm feeling different and gotta listen to my body.
Make sense?
Cheers,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kaybo

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 09:18:59 am »
kma~
glad today is going to be a better day!!  wish i could think of a good indoor activity to keep you moving...got plants?  water them with a glass of water each - that way you're not lifting too much and you have to walk back & forth to fill it up!!  Not very exciting, I know!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 09:24:22 am »
Whoa, Kaybo, you wild woman!  You really know how to have fun!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Richard in Palacios

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 02:28:00 pm »
Kathy,
See, I told you so.  This group is just simply fabulous.  One thing I have adopted as my own personal daily mantra helps keep me going.  I advocate the following to all AN members: Adapt!  Improvise!  Overcome!  OK, I "borrowed" that from a Marine Recon platoon but it helps keep me focussed.  There are things beyond my control any more so it is up to me to adapt or improvise in order to overcome whatever it is that is in my way or that I have to deal with.  Your posts have a much better "sound" to them now.  Please keep us posted on your progress and please send some of that rain down here to the Texas coast.  We are so very, very dry this year.  Glad you are here with us!!
Richard
Was AKA "RED in Palacios". That account now inactive. Originally diagnosed in 10/06 9mm X 3.6mm Waiting and watching.
As of 4/08 15mm X 6mm.  No longer waiting and watching.  Had SRS 6/10/08 at Methodist Hospital in Houston

bdsgurl

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 09:33:04 pm »
what you described sounds very similar to what i am experiencing at this time, my surgery was Feb 11, of this year so im like 5 weeks out. I found out what was causing the pulsating heartbeat sound and the pressure in my head along with other issues, was that i have a blood clot in one of my veins, they say it can happen as a result of surgery and for those with bigger tumors it may have even developed before the tumor was taken out becuase of compromised blood flow. I am on a diuretic and baby asprin, but they arent doing me that much good, I went and got another CT scan today and they are going to start working on some plans on what else they can put me on and do for me, the pulsatile tinnitus can be very debilitating and somedays when its worse, it literally makes me crazy and i cant stop crying...I feel for you and hope they will find what specifically is causing your symptoms. Good luck:)!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 05:07:56 pm »
Hi, Kathy -

I'm chiming in late, but wanted to say that you've gotten some excellent advice.

Baby steps and patience are the "norms" at this stage of your recovery. 

As time goes on you'll see that things generally get better. 

Welcome to the forum  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways