Author Topic: Please help before I get sick......  (Read 1167 times)

Jwh

Please help before I get sick......
« on: March 06, 2009, 07:45:42 am »
O.K. picked up the phone yesterday with my good ear and noticed with the dial tone a vibrating noise in my ear (almost like a heartbeat but not one).  Now it only happens on the phone with the dial tone and with nothing else.  What in the world is it?  My ear feels a little stuffy.  Now I had my MRI right before my surgery 5 weeks ago so I know it's not  a tumor!  I spoke with my doctor he's not to concerned but I am!  I also should admit that I started Lexapro a few days ago can that cause some ear sensitivity or do you think it's kind of a sensory overload with only having one usable ear? 

HELP HELP!!

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: Please help before I get sick......
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:38:56 am »
I think what you have is pulsating tinnitus
Here is a link
http://www.otohns.net/default.asp?id=14642

I have this on and off.

I had this more so just after surgery. Sometimes it can be a Dura fluid build up around the internal scar - if there is still inflammation.

I had this post surgery and an ant-inflammatory diuretic dealt it with. So far I have not had a shunt however it was suggested to me then. I occasionally get this when I lay down on my AN side.

You are only a few months post surgery so you could still have some swelling in that area. If this persists and is bothersome let your doctor know. When they do a follow up MRI they should look closely at the Dura fluid in that area- specifically.

Yes there could also be "sensory overload" with the good ear too. The brain will adjust with time...

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Keri

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:28:42 pm »
Hi Jen,
It's been a few days - I couldn't find your question on here. Has this gotten better? I know I have some weird noises in both ears at times (different kind of noises). If my good ear is on my pillow, sometimes it seems like I can hear my heart beating. Noises, balance or 'wonky' sensations, they're always there, always changing and I guess can seem unnerving at times. I suppose it's our other side of our brain adjusting and taking over. And just the different feelings that come along with having no balance nerve on one side, no hearing, etc.

I guess today was your 6 week anniversary! How are you doing? I'm still soooo tired at times. I just have to stop and rest.

I hope things are going better and all is well with your being able to lift your baby!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 12:56:12 pm »
I've always been lean and very athletic. I've been weight lifting, and either jogging or bicycling most of my life—still am. I Never had heart or circulatory problems. After my surgery four years (ears) ago I began to develop hypertension and began to notice a loud and disturbing pulsation in my head that accompanied the constant shrill and roaring tinnitus.

I went as far as complaining at length about this dilemma here on the forum several years ago. A number of  others had the same problem. We referred to it as "pulsating tinnitus" It wasn't until my doctor put me on high blood pressure medication that this problem seems to have left me once and for all.

It was especially disturbing in that it made me feel like I was on the verge of blowing a gasket. 
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.