Author Topic: MGH and MEEI  (Read 26328 times)

RobL

Re: MGH and MEEI-Dr. Barker and Dr. Lee
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2012, 07:48:49 pm »
Hi all,
I am new to this...first time writing.  I was just told yesterday by Dr. Lee MEEI that I will need to have surgery in the next 3-6 months as my AN has grown over the past 2 years to a point where he feels its better to address it now rather than wait.  It is currently 1.4cm and was less than 1cm 2 years ago.

Questions:  Has anyone else had the Drs. Barker/Lee team?  Good results?  I have read much about Dr. Barker, but not much about Dr. Lee and would like to get impressions from others who have had both operate.

I'm hoping to wait until early October to have the surgery, but I'll have to wait to see what Dr. Barker suggests when I meet him on July 16th.

I appreciate any and all input.
Thank you,
Rob

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: MGH and MEEI
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2012, 01:14:19 pm »
Hi, Rob - and welcome ~

I can't offer any information on Dr. Lee but Dr. Barker has a sterling reputation around here.

Frankly, a 4mm growth in two years doesn't seem all that threatening but I won't argue with the doctor.  Please keep us updated.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

New girl

Re: MGH and MEEI
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2012, 05:54:13 am »
Hi RobL,

Sorry to hear your tumor is growing.  Lee and Barker were my surgical team.  I highly recommend both.  I was diagnosed ~1 year ago with a 1.4 cm tumor which extended out of the IAC.   I had a sucessful retro-sigmoid surgery this past September.  They got all the tumor with no facial nerve issues.  I have 80% word recognition in my AN ear with is slightly worse than pre-surgery but I feel lucky that I have hearing.  I had some mild headaches for a few months post surgery but that was really it.  I was just slightly wonky post surgery.  Feel free to PM me any specific questions. 

-not so new girl
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons