Author Topic: The Other Shoe?  (Read 15457 times)

Cheryl R

Re: The Other Shoe?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 12:15:40 pm »
I have a good friend who discovered soybean oil is what gives her her migraines. Took some time to research to find it out .nother friend who can't have the beloved chocolate as that is what gives her a headache.      That would be the hard one to have to pass up!                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

sues1953

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 08:45:30 am »
Hi Jules,

I picked up on the hives you talked about when you first started this thread.  I did a search on hives and your tread didn't come up.  I was diagnosed with an AN 4 months ago but for the last 18 months I have been breaking out in Hives on mostly my hands and sometimes my feet.  It happens every night unless I take an antihistamine,  when I take it regularly I have no symptoms.  It's just so weird, since my diagnosis of the Brain Tumor I have been wondering if their is a connection.  I suppose it could be an allergy of some sort but I can not connect it to anything significant.  I also suffer from mild psoriasi s and had major surgery for scoliosis 20 years ago.  I did have a reaction to the anesthetic from spinal surgery, mostly nausea.

I know this a little off subject but just wanted some thoughts on this.

Best Regards, 

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 03:39:54 pm »
Is it possible the hives are caused by stress?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Julie E

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 11:05:59 pm »
Sue,
The hives are pretty much under control by either avoiding foods which have soy in them, and of course, certain strains of yeast.  Oddly, the research I did, turned up a connection with soy allergies not being present till you get stressed (the trigger), so Jan has it right to some degree.  When I do have something with soy (it is hard to avoid, being in nearly every processed food now), it responds fairly well to Zyrtec.  I do not like to take Zyrtec often, as I find it makes me moody and drowsy, so avoidance is my first line of defense. Like Clarice, I am very, very careful about what I buy.  Reading glasses are in pocketbook for grocery store visits. But identifying your allergies is key:  I advise a food diary - you might correlate it quicker.  Allergists can do testing, although they are not 100% accurate at all times, it's a start.
Lastly, I'm not a doctor, but I suspect if it is an allergy, you won't be affected in surgery/recovery.  They give you steroids for the swelling, which help with allergies.  If you haven't already, tell your Dr. of the hives so they can have a contingency plan in place, like taking your antihistimines for some time.  My husband was so afraid I'ld blow a gasket (cfs leak) sneezing, he ushered the flowers out of the room I got from friends, because I am sensitive to some fragrances; he also had me take my veramist (nasal steroidal spray).  I did not have any problems for months, so I thought the tumor being removed resolved it.
It was actually not drinking during recovery for me:  when I went back to the yeasty Belgians, I got hives again, but we were in denial;)  My aha moment came later.  May you have your aha moment sooner than later.  You may not have it resolved b4 you go into surgery, but surgery will resolve one big thing!  Best of luck to you staying calm over this next month!

Cheryl, regarding the chocolates: there is a site called soy free sales, which has soy free Chocolate.  Soy lethicin is a widely used emulsifier, replacing more expensive Cocoa butter, but then you don't have to worry about the catch 22:  stressed, reach for chocolate!as...
Julie
2.7cm translab surgery 3/28/08 Austin, Texas.  Drs. James Kemper and Craig Kemper

sues1953

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 06:04:49 am »
Thanks Jan and Julie,

I don't think I was having a lot of stress when the hives first started a year and a half ago but who knows.  I take just a cheap allergy pill everyday to avoid the breakouts and it works just fine.  I guess a food diary would be a good idea I really need to get to the bottom of this.  The Dr. did tell me because it is mostly my hands that break out (sometimes my feet) that it is most likely something I am coming in contact with.  I don't drink beer, I do drink Chardonnay, Sav Blanc, I don't know if they have yeast like beer does. 

It would be great if they just disappeared after surgery.

Thanks again. I will let you know.  Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.