Author Topic: 1 year Cyberknife success  (Read 4696 times)

btown

1 year Cyberknife success
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:34:48 am »
Hey guys,

I just wanted to report that I had my 1 year MRI last week and saw my radiation doc this week to find out news that my AN has shrunk 5mm since my 6 month MRI... YESSSSS!!!! Doctor said wasn't entirely sure of all 3 dimensions of the tumor but told me that the MRI showed in August 2008 that I had 10-11mm AN (at least in one direction) and now is back at 5mm.

My initial diagnosis came in November 2007 and I was told the AN was 9mm, then the MRI for Cyberknife treatment planning showed it was 14mm at it's largest point, so this is great news. I was hoping for "no growth" and actually got some shrinkage!!!!

I haven't been much to post in this forum, but I read it frequently and had I not discovered this site as well as the Cyberknife forum, I would have probably ended up having surgery and having to accept the risks/outcomes of the surgical procedure.  So far, I have had no problems from the radiation, only suffer some hearing loss in the AN ear, which is what led to the diagnosis.

Again, I just wanted to pass along a CK success story (so far...) and would advise all you "newbies" out there considering your options of surgery or radiation to give radiation serious consideration. I mean, if your tumor is small and you have serviceable hearing and no other significant symptoms, consider CK. But, most of all, take your time, do your research, and weigh out the options. THEN, make your decision and don't second guess yourself.  Don't be afraid to take your health/medical care in your own hands in terms of trying to find out the best possible treatment out there, because if I had followed my doctor's advise, I would've had surgery. Maybe it would've been a success, too, but maybe not. CK seemed to be the least invasive approach and I was a good candidate to have it. BUT, had I not done my research I would have never known about CK.

I appreciate all the comments by Jim, Steve, Phyl, Mark, and countless others out there going through this or have gone through this ordeal. You all have helped make my decision regarding my AN much easier.  I'm here in Bloomington Indiana and if any of you Indiana AN'ers need advice or support, I'm here.

Regards,
Brent Townsend
9mm AN diagnosed November, 2007
CK in January, 2008
1 year MRI shows no growth, 5mm shrinkage

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Re: 1 year Cyberknife success
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 06:11:02 pm »
Congrats Brent on your AN shrinking.  This is wonderful, and I hope you celebrated.  I had a MRI recently (3 mo. post GK) and my AN is already starting to shrink.  I think I made a good decision when I chose radiation.  Looks like you did, too.  So far, I have maintained my pre-GK hearing.  Modern technology is amazing.  Hope your AN continues to shrink.  Nancy ;D ;D ;D 
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 08:20:56 pm »
Hi Brent,

That's great news, congratulations. I am curious where you had your CK; if it is somewhere other than Stanford, it would good to get the location and doctor known. It sounds like it worked out very well for you.

Thanks for posting the good news.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 09:30:08 pm »
Congrats, Brent!

Best,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

btown

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 07:16:27 am »
I guess I should've mentioned it, but I had CK in Indianapolis through St. Vincents Hospital. The staff at Cyberknife of Indianapolis have been and continue to be wonderful. Dr. Michael Hardacre was the radiation doc that did the treatment plan but he has since left and I now see Dr. Lord for follow-up. Pretty cool, huh, Doctor named Lord... I guess I'm in good hands!

btown
9mm AN diagnosed November, 2007
CK in January, 2008
1 year MRI shows no growth, 5mm shrinkage

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:43:33 pm »
Brent ~

Thanks for updating us with the very good news (tumor shrinkage) following your CyberKnife treatment last year.  These kinds of posts brighten up my entire day.  :)

You offer some very cogent advice to those considering CK and we thank you for that.

As an AN patient that underwent both surgery and then, FSR and has seen tumor necrosis and shrinkage, I identify with your elation and appreciate your advice to the newly diagnosed.

May all your MRI scans be a good as this one!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

carter

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 07:31:04 pm »
i like to hear success stories ... i am still 5 weeks post zapping

good luck and thanks
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

cbp

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 12:05:51 pm »
That is great that you have had success with your ck procedure. Being that I am only 1 week post ck, stories like this give me hope that there is light at the end of this somewhat long tunnel. I'll be hoping that a year from now, I'll be able to say the same thing!
Camille
Diagnosed Nov. 1, 08
1.6x1.5cm Right AN, secondary Right AN 4mm
Cyberknife at Barrows Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
Feb. 24,25,26
Now playing the waiting game.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 01:43:35 pm »
Brent,

I have NO clue how the heck I missed this!  :o  :o  :o... but, I send a hearty congrats to you! Great news and sending those infamous healing huggles and wishes for continued wellness!

Great news! Congrats!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"