Author Topic: Your Input.  (Read 4953 times)

FlyersFan68

Your Input.
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:52:17 am »
I haven't played hockey seriously since age 31. I just turned 40. I was diagnosed with AN at 34 and had it removed at 35. I feel good for 40 despite a few extra pounds. There's a local group of guys (over 30) that play hockey and invited me to play as goalie. It seems that most of the guys are early 30's. I play sports once in a while with my son and his friends on weekends (football, baseball, street hockey). My son is encouraging me to join and deep down I would really welcome the fun and excercise. He plays too in a youth hockey league. Has anyone else resumed playing hockey or any other major sport since surgery. One half says "don't bother" while the other half says "don't deny yourself the fun". I have to ask the best people in the world for advice..Should I play or should I step back? Thanks...

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Your Input.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:10:12 am »
I think you should go for it. There's no way to find out if it is too much unless you try. If it is too much, you can decide later whether or not to drop out. If not, you'll be helping yourself stay fit while having a great time.

I have resumed weight training since my surgery, and although I'm not back to the point I was beforehand, I'm doing a lot more than I was six months ago.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:40:47 am »
One half says "don't bother" while the other half says "don't deny yourself the fun".

I vote the latter option.  If you're not up to it, your body will let you know.  At least you can give it a try.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:49:05 am »
Count me as 3..  I say do it and let your body tell you to stop.  Have fun!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 12:01:16 pm »
GO FOR IT!!!  Your body will tell you if you shouldn't be doing it...or a trip to the ER - just kidding!!  ;D  You'll have a helmet on so that is a check (they told me to be careful with the head and balance - especially on hard surfaces = ice).  How is your tracking/eyesight?  That would be the only thing I would worry about being goalie b/c I have trouble with depth perseption.  You won't know until you give it a whirl!! 
Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 12:06:43 pm »
I agree!  You'll never know until you try it!  And if it doesn't seem to work out for you, at least you'll know you gave it a shot!

Lori (DevilsFan)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 12:24:32 pm »
No question, go for it!  Enjoy and let us know how it goes, ok!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

texsooner

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 02:09:11 pm »
I say go for it. You never know until you try. In my book, it's almost always better to do "something" instead of "nothing.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 02:40:09 pm »
FlyersFan68,
 Go for it, definitely.  I still play some pickup basketball after AN treatment, and I'm older than you are.  The first few times you play you may pay for it with muscle soreness the next few days, while the 30 somethings are ready to go again.  :)  But this will also get you in better shape while having fun.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 04:40:59 pm »
Flyersfan,
If you don't go for it I will personally come find you and kick your butt!

A Flyersfan Fan,

Capt Deb P-)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Keeping Up

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 08:52:39 pm »
I am not a member of the illustrious postie crowd so my opinion mightn't count.

However, I got on skates for the first time in almost 15 years this past weekend with my little ones.  I was never a very good skater so wasn't sure what would happen when I hit the ice.  Thankfully, I didn't fall or crush a kid on the ice.  I have even done a bit of research into joining a woman's shinny league (for beginners) on an outdoor rink.  I skate OK - with a bit of padding, and a fair bit more practice, I think I would have an awesome time as long as it is beginners.

The mom in my has to say - please wear a helmet.  The shinny games don't seem to mandate helmets - I think the real hockey leagues have their heads screwed on a bit tighter and hopefully will mandate wearing helmets.  REgardless, be a geek wear a helmet and go play hockey.

dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 08:05:42 am »
I personally have never played hockey - hell, I can't even skate  :P - but I say go for it!

At least give it a try.  IMO you are never too old to do something you enjoy.

So lace up your skates!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

FlyersFan68

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 01:44:10 pm »
I was reluctant to post this at first but glad I did and cannot believe the great advice and encouragement you all gave. Thanks a million.

Dawn

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 03:02:08 pm »
I haven't had surgery yet but do have some balance issues and my son is also a Hockey player and I play in the driveway with him and its great exercises so I'd say go for it....but really the Flyers??????   lol

Good luck to you from a Loyal Blue Shirt Faithful....Rangers Fan!!!!
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 11:28:12 am »
I was reluctant to post this at first but glad I did and cannot believe the great advice and encouragement you all gave.

So does this mean we can expect some pictures - or video - of a game sometime in the near future?  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways