Author Topic: SBI Surgery behind me.  (Read 11015 times)

boomer

SBI Surgery behind me.
« on: February 14, 2009, 09:06:11 pm »
Hi everybody.  I’m back from Skull Base Institute where I had endoscopic AN removal plus endoscopic decompression of trigeminal nerve.  So far I have no complaints.  My AN at removal was 15.5 mm which is considered a small one.  With this approach instead of the one of the conventual approaches  the scalp incision was only 2.5 cm and the AN was also dissected off the facial nerve with no complications at all.  After this was done Dr. Shahinian attention was shifted to the trigeminal nerve and noted a loop of the superior cerebella artery was  compressing it.    Again using micro dissection technique a piece of Teflon was placed between the artery and the nerve which was causing some of my teeth pain on the right side as well.
This surgery was on Feb 4, 2009 and was in operation for 5 hours and released from the hospital within 48 hours.  That was great!  I stayed in LA for 7 days just because I wanted to be sure everything was OK before flying back to Kansas.   My walking wasn’t the best and I tired rather easily but nothing to complain about.  The flight didn’t bother me but I did use a wheel chair in the airport just to be on the safe side. 
   I have been home for 3 days now and  have had a few vision problems after working on the computer or reading for awhile. Things get blurry and the walls move for about a minute before focusing in.
I will be calling Monday to check this out if it continues.  With this endoscopic surgery Dr. Shahinian says I will be back to normal in 3 weeks.  My only really hard part is sleeping at a 45 degree angle so the brain doesn’t swell and then I would bet sever headaches.  I have never ever been able to sleep in a recliner, but I’m learning.  <g>
   For those researching  options  this procedure is worth checking into.  Less invasive, less hospital time and less recovery time.  I would be willing to visit with anyone who might like more information.

Boomer

sgerrard

Re: SBI Surgery behind me.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:07:21 pm »
Good work, Boomer! Congratulations on what sounds like an excellent outcome. This endoscopic surgery is starting to sound good, and I'm a radiation guy.

Enjoy your Lazy Boy recliner, and watch out, you may grow to like to it.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 11:18:15 pm »
Welcome home Boomer!

It sounds like everything really went great!  It sounds like endoscopic surgery may be the wave of the future for those who choose surgery over radiiosurgery.  I'm truly glad to hear you sounding so well.  Fatigue is to be expected with any surgery but I would guess AN/brain surgery would make it  even more of a certainty. Although I did't have a lot of trouble sleeping in my bed after I got home,  I  found sleeping on the recliner section of the sofa much more comfortable for naps during the day.  Kkeep us posted on your progress.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 04:14:34 pm »
Hey, Boomer ~

Congratulations on your endoscopic surgery success!  I'm pleased to learn that you're recovering, nicely.  Had endoscopic AN removal surgery been readily available in 2006, I would have opted for it.  It seems to be the new wave in AN surgery.  I hope and will pray that your recovery continues uncomplicated and you can regain normalcy, soon.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 07:51:14 pm »
Great to hear you're home and doing well.  Sleep was really rough for me as well.  I bought a pregnancy pillow which prevented me from turning onto the wrong side.  It helped, but nothing helped more than time.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Seal

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 07:58:20 pm »
Boomer,

Congratulations on a successful AN removal.    To be out of the  hospitol in onl 48 hours as well as home in less than a week must feel GREAT!     Best wishes for a speedy recovery. 

Jim,   do you have any particular reasons why you would have opted for this new procedure over the translab approach?     I assume it has to do with recovery time maybe?

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

highlife

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 10:30:57 am »
Boomer:
Thanks for the note!  We were all wondering about you.  Your news really gives me more confidence about my surgery at SBI on March 4.  I am so happy you came out well on the other side of this.  Keep in touch about the eye issues and your recovery.
Steph
Rt ear AN - 10x6x4mm
dx 9/08
wait

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 11:19:59 am »
Boomer -

glad to hear things went well for you.

Best wishes for the remainder of your recovery!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Helga

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 07:37:47 pm »
First of all, I am very happy for you! Second, just a question about SBI. It sounded very worth investigating to me and I asked in Dr. McKenna's office about the endoscopic surgery option and SBI. Unless I got the answer completely wrong, it sounded quite negative. Of course, as a surgeon he may be reluctant to sing the praises of another facility/surgeon. Any comments?
Thanks, Helga

kenneth_k

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 04:34:21 am »
Hi Boomer.

Welcome home and congratulations on your succesfull surgery.
I wish you a speedy recovery. Just remember not to pace it to much.

Kenneth

highlife

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 08:22:08 am »
Helga:
I think it's pretty common to hear those negative things from other docs.  For one thing, Shahinian doesn't use the standard protocol of a neurosurgeon and an ENT doing the surgery.  The doc I consulted with at Mayo called it a "gimmick".  I don't think a dime sized hole in my head, no retraction of the brain, and a 48 hour hospital stay are gimmicks. I resent the doc giving me that kind of info, when I can only attribute it to medical politics.
I think Dr. Shahinian (SBI) developed the technique and uses endoscopic for all skull base tumors.  Look through their website.  Look carefully at his training and experience, research.
I'm scheduled March 4.
Steph
Rt ear AN - 10x6x4mm
dx 9/08
wait

dasanti

• Dasanti's story - only in Romanian for the moment
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 08:46:03 am »
Wow! This is really great in comparaison with my 10 days ICU stay a 48 hours discharge sounds like Heaven. Was it a total resection?

I am so glab for you!

Dan
AN 4.5cm @ diag time of MRI (6/Dec/07)
AN + 5cm @ time of surgery (26/Feb/08)
Retrosigmoid in Hanover = Germany, by Prof. Dr.h.c. mult. Madjid Samii/Prof. Dr. Rudolf Fahlbusch
SSD post op - right side.
temp. facial paresis post op - facial nerve & function preserved
7mth MRI Sep/08-no tumor :-

rkks

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 11:49:03 am »
Hey Boomer,

Welcome back home and it's great to hear that your surgery went well!  It sounds as though your experience was exactly like that of our son's surgery.  48 hours after surgery he was released from the hospital and 48 hours after that he was completely released by Dr. Shahinian.  We were back home in western Kansas on a Saturday, only 5 days after surgery!

Jared's surgery was on Dec. 29, 2008 and he was back in college for the start of the second semester on Jan. 15, 2009.  Jared is now driving his car, playing intramural basketball, weight lifting/work outs, volunteer work for a hospital, attending classes, etc...  Basically he is back to his normal self, sans the hearing in his right ear.

Like others, we too were told by competing surgeons that the endoscopic approach was too dangerous and should be avoided at all costs.  Medical politics, indeed!!!!

Take care.

Ron & Karen

Parents of Jared (age 19)
Right side AN (10x9x7 mm)
Diagnosed 9-17-08
Endoscopic surgery on 12-29-08
Skull Base Institute, Los Angeles
Dr. Hrayr Shahinian

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 02:43:00 pm »

Jim,   do you have any particular reasons why you would have opted for this new procedure over the translab approach?     I assume it has to do with recovery time maybe?

Steve ~

I underwent the retrosigmoid approach microsurgery and it was quite successful, but I would have preferred having no surgery at all.  That wasn't possible in my case.  My tumor was too big for irradiation, alone, so I underwent debulking surgery, then, radiation.  As it all went well with almost no problems, I certainly can't complain.  However, endoscopic surgery would have, very likely, been easier.  In 2006, it was very 'new' (for ANs) and my neurosurgeon was certainly not an endoscopic surgery practitioner.  As you guessed, I expect that my recovery, which was rapid, would have been even faster with endoscopic surgery.  I'm pleased to see that the use of endoscopic surgery on acoustic neuromas is progressing and that AN patients are benefiting from this type of surgical procedure.  Still, I don't regret going the route I took as it worked out just fine.  However, I support endoscopic surgery where available and feasible for the patient.  I'm waiting to see the long-term results, of course, but I trust they'll be positive.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Seal

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 07:53:57 pm »
Hi Jim,

I had an interesting consultation with SBI today.    The  most interesting part of the consult was about what is resected and what is not.     The doctor only takes the superior vestibular nerve and nothing else.    This is assuming that only that nerve is involved.     As I understand, translab surgery takes eveything in sight from the vestibular, to the cochlear, to an other nerves with the exception of the facial nerve so that motor ops in the face are preserved.       In the endoscopic approach, they only take what they need to take to remove the tumor.   Of course there is the obvious advantage that this procedure only leaves a dime size hole in the skull as compared to a large chunk of skull with translab.    This definitely helps in the faster recovery time.     However, the fact that they leave the other nerves seems to say that there "potentially" is the opportunity of these other stretched nerves to regenerate over time and restore themselves.      In my case, the hearing is gone and I will be SSD.   However, there is the possibility that the trigeminal nerve will restor itself and I will have restoration of feeling in my face.       I know that nerves, given time, will regenerate.     I was in a bad biking accident a few years back and lost nerve feeling in my left hip.      It took between 2-6 months, but I eventually regained feeling in the area of my left hip.    So I know that its' possible.   

I think this is an important difference to note between translab and endoscopic in my opinion.   

Steve   
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.