Author Topic: ANer now a cover model sorta...  (Read 7649 times)

waypoint

ANer now a cover model sorta...
« on: February 10, 2009, 10:49:18 pm »
Who would have believe it. Last week, I was asked by my company to be photographed for the cover of annual report for Spectra Energy. I was told that the Corporate message this year to the street was "Company of Choice".  They were looking for leaders in the company that exemplify integrity and such. My name along with two others were picked.  I was actually excited that they wanted my picture, considering I'm no George Clooney when I smile.

In fact, when I got home I told my wife the news and then smiled as big as I could with my half crooked smile  :-\ and asked her, "So which is my better side?" to which she responded, "funny". So, for the past week, I've been straining and practicing to get the best halfway normal looking smile. In fact, people in the elevator, in the hallway, etc... have been looking at me awkwardly.

Tomorrow, we have to meet up with the professional photograher for a photo shoot. I hope he takes alot of picture, cause the odds aren't very good I'll have a nice smile. Wish me luck.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: ANer now a cover model sorta...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 10:55:59 pm »
Hi there Waypoint,  Just to be in the mix is saying something ! !  Putting good vibes out there for you ! ! !
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 01:22:55 am »
I personally think this is the coolest thing!  Very, very, cool.  Congrats and have fun with it.  You will have a beautiful smile!

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:43:43 am »
We're going to have another celebs in our midsts! Congrats Waypoint and once published, please let us know so we can see! I bet you are going to look great.

(moved to AN Community where its better suited... thanks for understanding.)
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 07:30:07 am »
Hey Waypoint,

We are so very proud of both your accomplishments in business and for your opportunities to put a real "face" on AN to the public!  Your smile will be terrific and you need to make sure we see some kind of picture.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 07:38:13 am »
Waypoint~
Way to go!!  That is SOO exciting!  Good luck on the shoot - I bet they will get some good ones!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 10:03:46 am »
Plus there is that wonderful closed mouth smile that many of us have perfected!        It is better than looking grumpy anyway!
                                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 02:22:03 pm »
Waypoint, aka the George Clooney of the forum  ;)

Congratulations on this very high honor.

Once again, you've made us proud!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 02:29:17 pm »
Waypoint:

Congratulations!! I too wanna see a copy when it publishes.

For those people giving you funny looks in the hallway and elevator, may i recommend a breast pump as a form of distraction? It worked for someone else on the forum I just can't remember who.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

lori67

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 08:18:01 pm »
Waypoint -

It's time for your close up!  Whoo-hoo!!!  Will we get to see a copy of the photo, or will we have to request an autographed one from your fan club?  Hey, I'm sure George Clooney has one - why can't you?!

I know you'll look great!  Look out GQ!

And Syl, I have a feeling that would be a distraction!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

waypoint

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 09:55:24 pm »
Thanks for all the well wishes everyone.  This has been a long day.  I had to fly to Baltimore today for a meeting tomorrow, so I had to pack for my trip and leave straight from the photo shoot.  My morning started very early with me, not by choice, reverting to what seemed like elementary school. I started to get dressed and my wife comes in and says, "You're gonna wear that?!?!". Ok, whats wrong with this, I've worn it to work many times before? "But I like this shirt". She proceeds to lay out my entire outfit and tells me this will look good.  And all this time, I thought is was me and not the clothes that made me look decent. oh well, reality hurts...

I met up with the three other people in our lobby that were schedule to be photograghed waiting for the vans to take us to the photographer. Understand our dress code is business casual. While we were waiting, there were about 12 other people dressed up in suits. I thought, uh-oh, maybe I over looked an email that said wear a suit.  Turns out they were employees from our HR and pubic affairs group that were asked to participate in the photo as extras.

We ended up at this warehouse in downtown Houston, where the photographer has each one of the four of us stand in the middle looking up with a company hard hat on with the extras all around us but facing the opposite direction. When we weren't the one in the middle, we also turned around and participated as extras. The person in the middle was focused and bright, everyone else was darker and not as focused. The photographer was up about 25-30ft and shooting down on the scene.  He took about 50 shots each with each one of us in the middle. All morning, I was practicing my smile to try to get the most normal smile possible.  It was my turn now. I never made mention of my condition and the photogragher had no idea. But he kept saying, "Ok smile", "Bigger", "Say YES!!!", "look happy", "SMILE!!!"... It took all I had to refrain from saying, I am smiling.  :-\ That's all you're gonna get unless you want a severely crooked smile.  After it was all said and done, my company will look at all the photos and select the best one for the cover. Kinda like the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, but no where near as glamorous.

I thought about it and realized that the chances of me being the one on the cover as the person in the middle is pretty slim.  One guy out of the four of us was just much more photogenic and just fit the mold. I think he is a natural and will be most likely be selected as the cover shot. He's a very good friend of mine and use to work for me. He deserves it. I would be proud to see him on the cover because he exemplifies all the good things that makes our company "the company of choice"....it's people.

It was an interesting experience and am thankful for even being asked, even if they don't pick my photo. Who knows, regardless of which photo they pick, I am positive your gonna see my back and the back of my head as one of the people turned away. Heck you may even see my retrosig scar if you look hard enough.

I had alittle time afterwards before my flight to Baltimore, so I stopped by the house to say bye to my wife. She askes me, "How was the photo shoot?" and then it happens. I reverted back to what can only be described as a 2nd grader coming home after school photo day. My wife hugs me and says "even if they don't pick your photo as the cover, you're still beautiful to me honey..."

yep, that's why I love her... that's why I married her... she loves me for who I am.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 10:57:51 pm »
Hi there Waypoint:  like I said, you're 'in the mix' ! !

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 12:49:03 pm »
Waypoint,

You are a super model as far as I'm concerned!  You and your wife signifies what a TRUE marriage is all about.

Anne Marie

PS Hope you are home in time for Valentine's Day   ;)
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 01:47:00 pm »
If the picture goes online, post the link, it would be great to see...

says, "You're gonna wear that?!?!". Ok, whats wrong with this, I've

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that from my wife ... I could get a new boat !  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 07:08:09 am »
Cool story...congrats...sounds like you had fun with it.

BTW...what company do you work for? Sounds like a great place to work from the sound of it....do they need anyone in the Boston area... ;D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org