Author Topic: Worried - What is this? Disgusting...  (Read 4407 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Worried - What is this? Disgusting...
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:36:13 pm »
I seem to be all about me with all of you, but I need some help here.  I"m almost at 4 weeks post op and had a retrosig procedure.  I have what I think is a titanium plate in the back of my head that seems to have some hair growing back over it.  The surface is not smooth at all and in fact, the bottom feels like it is 1/4 inch out from my head.  Every time I lay down in bed, or lay back on my pillow, there is this brownish stain.  My husband says it doesn't look like the incision is bleeding, but I am really kinda scared.  Has anyone had this happen?  HELP!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

FAITH40

Re: Worried - What is this? Disgusting...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 08:09:06 pm »
KATHY,

HI, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT IS, BUT I WOKE UP ONE MORNING WITH A DRAINAGE ON MY PILLOW AND I HAD AN INFECTION THAT WAS MRSA STAFF!!  IT WAS OOZING OUT OF MY SCAR AND EVEN ON THE SIDES...IT WAS THE BEGINNING OF A NIGHTMARE.... I HAD THREE BRAIN INFECTIONS THAT PUT ME IN THE HOSPITAL FOR OVER A WEEK EACH TIME, THREE DIFFERENT TIMES IN ONE YEAR. I ENDED UP ON HOME HEALTH CARE FOR 45 DAYS AFTER MY LAST HOSPITAL STAY... WHICH FINALLY GOT RID OF IT!!! JUST BE CAREFUL AND TAKE PRECAUTIONS... CALL YOU DR. AND LET THEM KNOW WHATS GOING ON. WASH YOUR HANDS PLENTY! MRSA STAFF IS TERRIBLE AND  HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS ! I HOPE THATS NOT PART OF YOUR PROBLEM.... BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY THOUGH.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
TAMMI
2.8 CM AN NASHVILLE,TN. DR. REID THOMPSON AND DR. DAVID HAYNES REMOVED DEC. 4TH- 07 TRANSLAB - 16 1/2 HOUR SURGERY - STRETCHED FACIAL NERVE- FACIAL PARALYSIS (HEALING) 100% HEARING LOSS (AN SIDE)
4 DAY HOSPITAL STAY ! DOING GREAT!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:21:02 am »
Kathy -

I had retrosigmoid and have a titanium plate, but I don't recall anything like what you are talking about.  My plate is totally covered by my scalp.  My hair did grow back in very close to my scar, but I had no open area on my head. 

The area around my incision (now my scar) is lumpy - though less so now than it was in the first few weeks post op.

The brown stuff sounds like some kind of drainage, but is it a problem or not? I really don't know.

Bottomline here, this sounds like something you should ask a medical professional about.  So I'd call the doctor and voice your concerns.

Let us know what he says,

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 10:45:16 am »
I don't think drainage at 4 weeks post op is a good thing, sounds like a pocket of infrection, contact your Dr. and get in for a check up, certainly if you can't get in to see a Dr. quickly I would op for the ER.  Best of luck and keep us informed.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 10:50:31 am »
Hi Kathy,

My surgery was the translabyrinthine approach and my surgical area ws also somewhat uneven and lumpy, probably the result of swelling and edema, I also had drainage from my incision which was light orange to orangered and sometimes appeared brownish when it oxidized (blood and blood products will turn brownish when exposed to air).  My best guess is that what you are seeing is serous fluid which is just the bodies response to a deep wound and serves to fight infection.  It could also be that some of the fat in your head has liqufied and is leaking from your incision.  This happened to me and was very frightening until I knew what it was. My incision continued to leak for two months, but I never developed an infection, the leak was just bothersome.  Allthough I was on antibiotics for 10 days after my incision started leaking,  all I had to do after that was keep the leaky part of my incision covered with bacitratcin and a bandaid.   If you haven't already, you should call your doc and probably go see him, he will be able to tell you for certain what is going on.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 05:14:07 pm »
Hi, Kathy:

I'm sorry to learn of this latest unwelcome surprise .  I also had the retrosigmoid approach surgery and titanium plate.  After my hospital discharge I developed a very mild incision infection that responded well to frequent applications of Bactidine (on my doctor's orders).  My staples were removed right on schedule.  The area healed nicely (all the hair grew back) and, although the incision area is indented, it isn't at all noticeable and I've had no problems with it.   

I have to echo the previous posters and recommend you consult with your doctor and inquire as to what is happening (probably nothing to be alarmed about) and what - if anything - can be done about it. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 10:37:48 am »
Kathy -

just checking it to see if you've contacted your doctor yet.

Please keep us updated - and good luck.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 09:00:50 pm »
Well, what a week.  After the first couple responses to my post about the drainage, I read them to my husband who began to inspect the incision.  He said that after a gentle prod, what appeared to be infection began to come out.  So, he calmly called the hospital in Cinci and they told me to get to ER right away.  So, at 11:00 Saturday night, we were off to Cincinnati - a 2 hour 15 minute drive.  They admitted me, started me on a wide array of antibiotics,  cleaned up the incision (thank God for morphine), and took some cultures.

I ended up staying 4 days in the hospital.  Here's the scoop -
The cultures showed a staff infection.  The neurosurgeon wasn't pleased with the way the skin was healing (or not healing) either, so a plastic surgeon examined it, removed some of the dead skin, (wasn't too painful since I'm still very numb back there), and said he felt once the infection was gone, it should heal nicely.  The installed a PICC line (not sure what it stands for, but essentially, it's a permanent (or as long as ya need it) IV that can be maintained 24/7 while at home and allow for strong antibiotics over time. 

I'm on Nafcillin for maybe 4 weeks.  I am so grouchy, irritable, and worried sick.  We were assigned a home health nurse who doesn't seem to know much about the pump we have so I'm very uneasy with all of this at home.  My husband is terrific and he has changed the IV bag, but I have so many questions about this device (the pump is a CADD Prism) - they set it up with a fanny pack and the bag lasts 24 hours - every 4 hours it dispenses the appropriate dose of the antibiotic.  How do I shower?  Can we disconnect it while I take a shower and then hook it back up?  Will it know to pick up the timer where it left off?  Our home health nurse said I had to always leave it connected and that I could shower but hang it on the shower curtain rod so it doesn't get wet.  That's not possible because there isn't enough tubing.  I've been wrapping my arm around the catheter with a ziploc bag and Steve seals it with tape.  that's worked ok so far, but that's before I got this pump (that was how I was showering at the hospital when I had a regular IV bag and pole.  The nurses just disconnected it until I got back to bed.)  I'm so frustrated!  You can't tell when the pump is dispensing the regular dose of medicine so how do you know it is working properly after we put on a new bag.  The green light is blinking (which is good), but do we just hope for the best?  I want to KNOW it's working right.  When I call the home health care agency and ask questions, no one can say anything definitive ("well, it should be fine"  or I've not seen that type of pump before but most of them work this way....")  None of their wonderful help inspires confidence. 

Is it too much to ask that someone tell me with confidence that the pump is working exactly as it should?  This infection has really scared me!  Have any of you had this experience????  The Dr. said I'd be on the IV for 4 weeks, with regular blood cultures done each week to see if the infection is going away.  I see the Dr. on Wednesday. 

On a positive, less whiny note - I haven't had any headaches since I went to the ER!!!

What a ride.  As always, I'd love to hear from you!!!!!  You all have been a lifeline to me.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 09:09:00 pm »
Hi Kathy,

I'm sorry to hear that you've developed a staph infection, but glad tgo hear it's being taken care of.  I'm sure it has been a frightening experience.  It sounds like yo might have the same setup as Debbi.  She developed an infection and had a PICC line with the fannypack.  If you have what looks like a lemon fillled with antibiotics that goes inside the fannypack, it's the same thing.  I would suggest that you PM her -- I'm sure she'll be happy to help.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 09:46:09 pm »
Oy, another member of the PICC line club! As Wendy said, Debbi is acting chairwoman of the club, with Priscilla being the other currently active member. This is a club I hope never to join.  :P

Well that is just plain pesky and annoying, Kathy. I'm sorry you have to go through this. By all accounts, it does wind its way to an end, so bear with it. I think Debbi did work out a good way to shower, involving plastic bags or wrap of some sort, so hopefully she will chime in and show you the way. And I will say, without any true knowledge, that your pump is working perfectly, if that will make you feel better. :)

Take care.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 09:46:52 pm »
Kathy~
Welcome to the wonderful world of the PICC line.  Since I had my AN surgery so long ago, I can't help you with any of the direct questions about the incision, but last spring I had the T3 surgery and then developed EITHER an infection (which they treated it like it was that) OR a deep tissue fluid build-up (which is probably what it really was - eventually I had to have the incision reopened and then packed by Home Health 2/day for 2 weeks!).  I had a PICC line and IV for 4-5 weeks but I guess mine was just the old fashioned kind where we hung a bag on a pole so I wasn't connected 24/7 but I had a double port so I had all kinds of tubes hanging out my arm & couldn't get them wet so bathing was a treat!  Can you switch to another HHC agency?  You shouldn't have to put up with that if you don't have to- good care can make all the difference in the world.  I didn't have HHC for the PICC, just when I had to get it packed (NOT fun - worse than the PICC)!!  They also hit a nerve when the put it in so I couldn't move my arm for a couple of weeks.  We will all celebrate with you when you become PICC-less!  

K
PS - on the more positive side, it can be a bonding point in marriages, though!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jerseygirl

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 09:55:23 pm »
Kathy,

I know PICC line is no fun but it is actually a replacement for a hospital stay, believe it or not. 20 years ago, when I had my first surgery, there was no PICC lines and I that is how I accrued over 30 days in the hospital. I would give just about anything to get out of there! PICC line would sound wonderful! Everything is relative, I guess.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 11:21:59 pm »
Oh Boy, Kathy, Now you and Debbi must share the "Queen of the Ickyheads" title!  Hope you get that shower soon so we don't have to dub you "Queen of the Stinkypits" too!  Just have the hubby give you one of them romantic spongebaths! For Valentines Day!

Hugs and healing!

Capt Deb P)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 09:31:54 am »
Thanks, guys!  I don't know what I would do without you!!!!  And Steve, thanks for the blind assurance that my pump is working just right.  My husband (also a Steve) just told me this morning, that he was going to replace my fannypack with a lockbox for pump so that I can't look at it.  He also mumbled something about needing a beer!!!

Now I'm going to attempt a shower so I don't earn yet another title of "stinkypits"!! 

I did pm Debbi so hopefully she can give me some tips on this thing!!!

Oh - I had a meltdown at the hospital (the most recent visit) and noted that I only cry tears out of the non-AN side.  My left eye (AN side) doesn't feel like it is dry (most of the time), so I'm assuming that I just need to have some artificial tears to use if needed.  Right?

Geez, it always something new and exciting here in postieland, isn't it?  I used to love surprises, but now I'm kinda getting tired of them!!!

Kathy

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 10:03:17 am »
Hi Kathy,

I have a generic, no frills PICC line and plain IV pole, so I am only tethered when the IV treatment is going on, 2 1/2 hrs. morning and evening.  In between treatments I am "off-line", so to speak.  Bathing is a pain in the you-know-what because by then my sweet husband has gone to work and I am left to wrap Press and Seal around my arm one handed, and then seal  the ends w/tape.  I have yet to find the right balance between too loose and cut-of-all-blood to the arm, so my showers are taken at lightning speed so the dressing stays dry and I don't kill my arm!  :D
My biggest complaints are all the dangly things hanging off my arm and our attempts to get the flow rate correct.  Sometimes the treatments last over 3 hours and I go crazy waiting it out, esp. in the mornings.  They had to get a pediatric sleeve for me because of my scrawny arms, but I wear it 24/7.

If I am supposed to develop character as a result of this experience, then I am becoming quite the character!

Capt. Deb is right about the need for friendly bacteria.  I eat yogurt several times a day, and drink plenty of water. 

Next Friday I should be home free and I am eagerly awaiting that day.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.