Author Topic: The results are in of my third MRI in Boston  (Read 7148 times)

LisaP

The results are in of my third MRI in Boston
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:12:05 pm »
Hi Everyone,

The News is Great!!! I have no growth!!!  My husband and I are so relieved!!!  I do not have to go back for a year now unless my symptoms get worse.

Dr. McKenna was great, he said the nausea, (I think I spelled it wrong)* dizziness and balance issues is a normal part of the AN.  If the symptoms get worse then he would do surgery.  But I'm not ready for that and will just have to figure a way out to deal with my new "normal everyday" symptoms.

I did have a hard time with the MRI test, keeping my head still like that caused me to have a headache and made my stomach sick, but I was able to hold my brother's picture in my arms and with him watching over me, I was able to get through it.

Also I want to thank everyone for the well wishes especially you my dear fellow Red Sox Fan (Pearl), and thank God for this forum and the friends I have made on it!!!

LisaP ;D

* I fixed it. :)  Jim
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 02:34:15 pm by Jim Scott »
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Jackie

Re: The results are in of my third MRI in Boston
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:40:01 pm »
Hello LisaP,
"
I am so happy that you got good news about the "no growth" of your AN. That's what we all in this "Watch and Wait" mode strive for and pray for. Good for you! May those always be the words you hear!!! Now relax for a year! May your blessings continue,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:51:39 am »
Congratulations, Lisa. Watch and wait some more. I hope you are able to manage your everyday symptoms.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:57:00 am »
Lisa,

I knew someone very special was there with you and watching over you during the MRI.. and see... you came through will ultimate flying BoSox colors! I'm thrilled to hear this news.... and btw, truck rolls out tomorrow am and I may just be passing it as I go en route to one of my brain booger docs at the Brigham. :) will think of you if I get the honor of seeing it!

congrats on the news! Hang tough!  See you at the brunch in April and thrilled you are ok! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:10:52 pm »
Congratulations, Lisa.

No growth is great news  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 01:06:44 pm »
I`m a firm believer that if something has run its course then let it be!  Of course thats with minimal symptoms and no apparent danger( Small AN ) especially in older patients.  Controled MRI`s are what you need to confirm this and for the most part AN`s are slow enough growing to give you the luxury to do this.  It is a legitimate treatment.  When necessary to act then it`s time to seek a new treatment. Just my opinion, we all are different and whatever your choice may God bless! Mickey

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 02:36:25 pm »
Lisa:

Please accept my congratulations on your good MRI results!  May your symptoms decrease and surgery never become necessary.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keeping Up

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 07:45:11 pm »
Congrats Lisa

It is so encouraging to see the non-growers around here.  My first follow-up is in May - and messages like this one make me feel more and more that I too just might stay in the same category for a wee bit longer.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Sheryl

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 09:11:12 pm »
WONDERFUL WONDERFUL!!  As another "Bostonian" (sort of) and "Wait and Watcher" I am thrilled with your news as the saying goes, "I've been there, done that" and completely understand.

By the way Phyl and all you other BoSox fans, I'm only 15 minutes from their spring training camp during the winter and look forward to the truck arriving soon - hopefully it will warm up down here soon, but I doubt anyone has any sympathy for me in a sweatshirt, jacket, and heat running in the house!!
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 09:36:32 am »
Hi, Lisa P and Sheryl.
NO sympathy, Sheryl, from up here in arctic NH!  I, too, was watch and wait with Dr. McKenna for seven years, but it doubled in size last year, so I'm off to Boston for lipo and a face lift on the 27th.
Cheers!
NancyMc
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

elliemae

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 10:11:42 am »
Lisa, congrats on your MRI results!  More to celebrate in April!

And Nancy, as another one of Dr. McKenna's group, I wish you good luck on your upcoming surgery.  Love your description of it!  If I had thought of it that way, I may have done the trans lab instead of radiation!!   ;D

Elaine
(Also frozen in Massachusetts!  and jealous of you, Cheryl! :) )

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 10:44:56 am »
That is FABULOUS news!!!!!!!
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

NancyMc

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 12:16:10 pm »
Elaine,
Thank you for your encouragement.  I had hoped to do radiosurgery, but with the substantial growth and cystic component, I decided against it.  Did you have Loeffler at MGH or some other facility? 
Surgical patients,
Can they take a little more than they need when they do the lipo . . . or perhaps a lot more than they need?  It seems a fair trade-off.
Out to shovel more snow,
NancyMc

elliemae

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 01:30:10 pm »
Hi, Nancy
Yes, I had the radiation with Dr L at MGH.  Both he and Dr. M told me I could W&W longer, but I decided my time for treatment had come! How large is your AN?
Have you been to the Worcester brunch yet?  If you can't join us this April (kind of soon after surgery?). maybe you can come down for the next one (Nov, ususally).
So, wishing you the best ...
Elaine

NancyMc

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 02:54:05 pm »
Oh, I'll be there.  I plan on a speedy recovery.  In October, the tumor was 1.9 cm x 1.9 cm.  It's probably larger now.  I wished I had gone ahead with the radiation, but having a choice no longer, I'll just have to be satisfied with whatever outcome surgery provides.  Can't do much better than McKenna and Barker.
Thanks!
Nancy