Author Topic: Athletics and Post AN Life  (Read 51462 times)

JerseyGirl2

Re: Athletics and Post AN Life
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 08:09:13 am »

You all may find the following interesting.    I just got off the phone with Dr. Wilkinson of the House Institute.     I was very impressed with his no-nonsense approach, but more importantly, he helped to narrow down the field of options for me to a likely probability of translab.      Since my hearing is gone,  the translab gives better approach and accessibility, especially concerning the facial nerve.     The "good news" was that my hearing loss over the last 3-4 years was probably in tandem with my balance loss.   The interesting thing was that my good ear has already probably compensated for my lack of hearing and balance in the other ear.      So there is the possbility that my progression post operative may be quicker since my good ear has already be compensating for a long time.             

Hi, Steve,

I totally agree with your line of reasoning. I certainly believe that my hearing loss and balance loss were in tandem for many years and that my good ear was working above and beyond the call of duty. The transfer of balance was so gradual that I honestly cannot recall any time during the years prior to my diagnosis that I ever remotely experienced any episode of dizziness or vertigo. My only symptom was gradual hearing loss, and I was expecting to be told I just needed a hearing aid -- got my AN diagnosis instead! I experienced no post-surgery dizziness or other balance issues and just spent about 10 minutes with the physical therapist "walking the halls" a day or so after surgery. He said I didn't need any further help and to just keep walking and do the exercises on the sheet he gave me (which I had no problems with whatsoever). I do hope your situation will be comparable -- it truly makes recovery a lot easier.

By the way, Dr. Wilkinson is one of the newer staff members at House. He completed the Fellows program there and assisted with my translab surgery in January 2008. He also treated Donnalynn of this forum when she suffered some complications from her AN surgery that same week. He's great! Best wishes as you continue your AN journey.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:43:15 am by sgerrard »
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 08:13:06 am »
The first part of my previous post is a quote from Steve's ("seal") earlier post. I obviously haven't gotten the knack of displaying quotations correctly, so I'm sorry this looks odd.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)

Fixed by Steve. :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:44:29 am by sgerrard »
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

TP

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 11:18:14 am »
I had my AN removed in June 06 and had two subsequent surgeries for a CSF leak (later in June and again in July) as well as menigitis. By August 2006 I was back in Karate (and work) and excercising daily. Obviously I was not back to my normal self but very much active and by October 2006 I tested for my 4th degree black belt and I passed (form, sparing and board breaks). I was in my late 40's so I believe if you are active before your surgery you should be able to get back in the swing of things afterwards. I have SSD and at the time I had double vision, however, it has been 2.5 years since my surgery and I can do almost everything as I did before my surgery. I no longer spare in karate as I don't want my head to get hit but I don't let that keep me from doing what I enjoy doing! I don't have any balance issues and the face issues I have I just deal with it. 

Everyone is different and I have learned to be sensitive to folks who may have a harder time with recovery. A lot of "stuff" impacts folks in recovery so my advise is to hang in there, try to be positive and not get frustrated if things are not the same, it will get better with time.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

fbarbera

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 06:40:00 pm »
Hey There,

I had CK in August 2007 for a 2.5 cm AN.  I was able to resume a full workout routine (including running, biking, and yoga) after about 13 months.  Granted, I think I could have started sooner but the balance issues really cleared up for me at around that time.  More details about my post-treatment progression in the "post-treatment" section of my website below (in my sig line).

Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Regards,

Francesco

rsteph

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 07:01:40 pm »
Your symptoms were just like mine.  I had a mild imbalance also before I had surgery.  My vestibular nerve was not crushed as the doctors had thought so I had to learn to walk again for about two weeks.  I admit it was no fun plus I had a spinal fluid leak and bacterial meningitus that followed.  I was in the hospital for 17 days and went back to work two weeks after that.  I admit I should have stayed out longer but that is not me.  Anyway,  I can bike, run, and just got back from snow skiing.  My friends said the tumor certainly has not affected my ability to ski.  I am a good skiier and glad I am able to still do that.  I was not prepared for the facial paralysis that I have though. 
3.7 cm AN Translab Aug 08' 100 percent removal UT Southwestern - CSF leak, Bacterial Meningitus. Rt side Facial Paralysis.  Partial facial movement returned 11 months post op.  Still healing

LADavid

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 08:51:11 pm »
Hey Steve
As Jan said, I do run and have been since about three months after surgery.  But according to my physical therapist, running is actually easier than walking because you are basically just putting your feet down under you.  But I rarely going out and run on my own and when I do I never turn my head while I'm running.  I wouldn't even consider riding a bike.  A couple of months ago, I was throwing a football with my daughter and I had to reach/jump for a pass.  I totally lost my balance and fell over -- fortunately on sand.  I think it's different for everyone.  For me it is difficult since up until surgery I had at 60, the balance and agility that I had in my 20s.  I still sprinted.  I played flag football.  Then after the surgery, I feel accomplished when I walk a straight line.  I don't want to scare you.  But I do want you to know the facts that no one shared with me.
Best wishes.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 12:03:54 pm »
according to my physical therapist, running is actually easier than walking because you are basically just putting your feet down under you.

Wow, who knew  ???

Thanks, David.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Seal

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 09:08:01 am »
Hi David,

I'm sorry to hear that you did not get all the way back to your pre-op level.   As I read things on this forum, the only consolation is that the experience is different for everyone.   It would be nice to know exactly what the outcome will be with my surgury planned for early March, but I guess that the unknown is part of the "fun" of this journey.   My current condition sounds alot like your condition.   I could get away with riding my bike right now, but turning my head would definetly be a no-no.    I'm even feeling unbalanced on the stationary trainer set up in the cellar.      Since the holidays, my ability to walk a straight line has gone progressively down hill.   When I walk through the house,  I look like my 2 year old when he has a full diaper with a nice healthy "wide" stance.     My neurosurgeon is remaining very positive on a full recovery, but I'll stay prepared for whatever the outcome is.     Hearing loss and tinnitus is part of the deal, but I'll consider myself VERY lucky if I get my balance back and the facial numbness subsides.    Thanks for the feedback. 

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

bpham

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 03:35:51 pm »
I went on a trip to Asia 2 months after the surgery and went to the gym, jog, play tennis after 6 months.  Now after 16 months I'm doing everything including lifting weights.  So life should be almost back to normal after 6 months.
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 03:50:31 pm »
I love kayaking.. and go out every chance I get .. strangely enough, I did not start until post op... so I'm not really sure what I lost... I even have the "yak" out after dark .. sure it was tippy at first.. but today I kayak at night better than I walk ! ... you just might need to put more practice in it....

I look at it this way ... I had 40 years to practice walking ... it took me a few years to get it down right at first  :o.... now I'm starting over... I'll be good in another 40 years... LOL ....  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 03:52:13 pm »
Before my AN surgery three years ago, I was a couch potato, except for seasonal swimming.  Just over two years ago, I joined a health club and now do things I had never dreamed of (or wanted!) to do.  Everything from cardio machines to various weight machines.  As I had scoliosis surgery when young, & have two rods in my back, I was actually afraid to do much in the realm of athletics.  After AN surgery, I figured what the heck?!  Go for it!   :D
Kathy

Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

heyct

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 08:27:14 am »
How about altitude problems anyone?

I'm not scheduled for surgery yet (still deciding), but if I do, it'd be May or June I guess. Our family wants to do a horse pack trip in the Sierra's in early August. Will I be able to go? I see from the posts I should be able to ride (even if they strap me on :)) I think the altitude would be up to 5,000 or 6,000 ft.

Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 01:03:44 pm »
Hi Carolyn,
If your surgery is in June, an early August long horseback trip sounds quick, but if you are an experienced rider and ride often, this might be o.k. for you.  I think you should not make the decision before your surgery, but wait until after to see how you feel, etc.  And, certainly, do include your physicians in such a decision.
Admiring your style,
Kathy  ;)
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

Esperanza

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 09:05:10 am »
I would like to think I would be able to be just as active post - surgery...  when ever that is!!   I do push myself a bit though I must admit!

Steve - have you managed to sort out your insurance and book another date with SBI?

Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Seal

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 03:35:42 pm »
Hi,

Everything worked out for the best.   I have AN surgery scheduled for a week from today with McKenna and Barker at Mass General in Boston.   McKenna has one over 1000 ANs, and he was House trained.   So alls well that ends well......... things happen for good reasons!! 

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.