Author Topic: Athletics and Post AN Life  (Read 51544 times)

Seal

Re: Athletics and Post AN Life
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2009, 05:55:23 pm »
Fishing is definitely winning out!     I think Bob is on the right path for regaining balance because I have seen huge improvement in my balance as I have continued to spend large hours on the open ocean.     We have been doing many inshore fishing trips, and I recently did a 24 hour offshore trip in pretty significant seas ahead of a developing nor-east storm.     The rocking motion of the deck seems to be the best vestibular training that I can imagine.    The pitching deck is not hard at all, but I did notice a significant loss of balance in the dark at night.    So I had to take extra caution moving around the boat at night.   Otherwise, I think boating, paddle board, or whatever is a great way to bring back the balance loss from the AN ear.      I've also been scooting around town on the moped, and I'm ready to get back to biking.    Training starts this week in  earnest.    I just want to let others know that with time, life does get to be fun again.   Yes, there is a new "normal", and the SSD gets interesting.   However, I've learned to take advantage of the SSD too.    When life gives you lemons,.......make lemonade!!         Plus the offshore trip last Wednesday night was successful with several yellowfin tuna and 12 very large mahi mahi for the grill.     Summertime is a wonderful time!!! ;D ;D ;D
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

Keri

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2009, 09:05:24 pm »
Great - good for you! But I get seasick reading your post!
Glad all is going well and that you're having a great summer.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Seal

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2009, 08:41:01 am »
I would like to add something about what not to do just after AN surgery.    The kids were jumping off the back of the boat where we like to anchor and spend the nice suumer afternoons.   They talked me into doing a big cannonball off the back of the boat.   I recommend that us posties do not do cannonballs for a least a few more months.   The headache lasted for about a half hour after my excellent cannonball.     The kids loved it, but I paid the price.    ;D ;D     

Joe B

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2009, 09:44:18 am »
Steve

I'm glad to hear that the off shore fishing helped your balance issues.  My boat has been sitting in the driveway all summer because of my AN surgery (6/04/09). I'm probably going to start off with a kayak fishing trip (soon) and work my way up to taking the boat back offshore.

Also, on the athletics issue, I have been running since 6 weeks postop and have had no problems with it. The AN side of my head usually throbs (not real bad) for a little while after the run, but when it goes away I feel great. I also tried bowling a couple of days ago. The first game I was scared to death that after I released the ball that I would fall flat on my face in front of about 100 other bowlers. I had a terrible score after the first game, but I bowled three games and by the end of the third game I was almost as comfortable bowling as pre surgery.

P.S. I have been afraid to ask my Dr. about scuba diving(not sure I want to hear the answer). Has anyone read anything or know anything about scuba diving after translab surgery???

Thanks   

Joe B.
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

irenuk

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2009, 10:28:02 am »
Hi
I recently attended a talk by a neuro surgeon on "insertion of shunts following AN for hydrocephalus or CSF leak", he said anyone with a shunt inserted should not go scuba diving but he has heard of people doing so and not telling the instructors !!!!.

regards irenuk

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2009, 05:00:09 pm »
How about altitude problems anyone?

I'm not scheduled for surgery yet (still deciding), but if I do, it'd be May or June I guess. Our family wants to do a horse pack trip in the Sierra's in early August. Will I be able to go? I see from the posts I should be able to ride (even if they strap me on :)) I think the altitude would be up to 5,000 or 6,000 ft.

Carolyn

SEAL (aka Steve)

I am totally impressed reading this. What a great can do (and inspiring) attitude you have. You have started a great thread!

Carolyn asked a question about altitude. I was just at Crater Lake at 6,000 feet and I was surprised that I had issues as I thought I was in the clear - being 2 years post op. I had total “wonky head” ... we came off the mountain the same day. (I had no desire to stay up there and explore on this 2nd visit to the crater.) The next morning, at much lower elevation not far from sea level… I had a wicked headache- (which I almost never get.) I wonder if was the vestibular issue or Dura fluid pressure. I was freaking out on the road up to the crater-, which I never used to do (I actually did much rock climbing, in my youth, so heights were never a previous issue and even this month I was up a ladder painting the house- wearing a snowboard helmet in JULY). Just looking down was so hard (and freaky) for me. I took an over-the-counter diuretic in the morning, just in case it was fluid issues as I had swollen hands and feet… the headache dissipated.

If you are going on a trip to high elevations you may want to discuss this with your doctor and the possibility of taking prescition diamox with you- just in case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetazolamide
This is used in severe cases of altitude sickness.

Steve every case is different. I can power walk, ride a bike with no hands, and ride a bike and sight see at the same time (and yes chew gun too)
Here is an old post with photo
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5584.msg56072#msg56072

But I cannot "RUN" as the up and down bouncing does it to me. Funny I can bounce on the trampoline but not run. I can easily do sideways turns, now I can put my head up and bat the volleyball but I cannot get down on my knees and then get up again without getting dizzy. Looking down at my feet or getting down low on my knees does me in- each attempt. I am trying to get vestibular therapy so I can plant flowers again and yes maybe even "run"… (That too has a saga I hope sorts out soon) It is just so wild how different all of us are with this. LADavid can run but walking challenges him- I am the opposite.

I am just going to keep trying until I get it…

If you do not succeed at the bike right away- just keep at it. I am convinced that the brain is very plastic and you can train it to compensate… if motivated enough.

Thanks for starting this post- it is a good (and inspiring) read.

DHM :) (aka the old "4")

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 05:04:10 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2009, 05:29:34 pm »
I am happy to report - at 2 1/2 months post op, I have been driving our boat, pulling my husband wakeboarding, and driving the jet ski  - on smooth water - for 3 weeks now!!  I do not plan to revive my wakeboarding due to the hard falls, but I am thrilled to be the boat driver again!!

I also played sand volleyball last weekend.  You definitely would not want me on your team...Everytime I was in the front row and  looked up at the ball - I fell over!  It was mighty funny to all who watched.  I played again yesterday and did not fall once!  I missed the ball quite a few times, but I did not fall!  At least now, I have an excuse for being a bad player!!!   ;D
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

Keri

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2009, 10:44:45 pm »
good for you, alicia!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2009, 12:00:39 pm »
I'm so pleased to learn how many post-surgery/radiation AN patients are resuming physical activities they enjoy.  I truly believe, barring serious post-op complications, that the motivation to do the things you love doing (running, boating, swimming, etc) is a major factor in helping post-op AN patients resume their normal lives.  Congratulations to all who have been able to return to the activities they love and bravo! to those still trying and making progress.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2009, 11:33:29 am »
Plus the offshore trip last Wednesday night was successful with several yellowfin tuna and 12 very large mahi mahi for the grill. 

Seal, now I'm jelous! ... I done several Cod trips in the last few years.. no major issues (there was one balance lost, I set the hook the same time the boat pitched on a big wave and on my butt :o )
   I Sea Kayak all the time now since my AN .. never did before hand... so can't compare... but I do fine... (not at first  ;D )
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Seal

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2009, 07:22:33 am »
Jim,

I think you hit the nail on the head.    Motivation plays a big role in getting back to what we enjoy.    I bike and work out to stay in shape, but I love to fish and be on the water, especially this time of year.    So whether it is running a marathon, going for walks with the children, or simply working out at the gym, we probably will all succeed and excell at those things that we love to do the most.    The rest is icing on the cake.      I know that I can lament about being SSD or the loss of some balance, but we just have to move on and enjoy our favorite activities with a little different perspective.      For example, I noticed that I can sleep soundly on board while fishing over night by just putting the good ear down while in the bunk catching a nap.   So that is one big positive that helps!   

Good to hear that you are making progress Joe B. on the recuperation road.    Keep in mind that I am at least 2 months ahead of you on the recovery, and that is a pretty big difference.    I was also lucky to have a couple of friends who really pitched in to help prepare the boat for the season and make life easier for me while on these fishing trips.     They also serve to push me and help me along to get back to full activity levels by not leaving me alone.    They are always there bugging me, supporting me, and helping to push the envelope along as things improve.   For instance, my offshore fishing partner is great about letting me get that extra half hour to hour nap in the middle of the night, know that i need it.     Its all those little things that help too.   I'm sure you'll be back on the water soon. ;D.

Seal

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2009, 12:50:31 pm »
Hi Everyone,
Last week was my five month post operative anniversary, and I just wanted to update the athletic endeavors to give a more complete and realistic time frame to a pretty good recovery so far.   I think we all go through re-evaluation of our family, life, and priorities when we go through this necessary process, and this summer was probably a good example.  Instead of forcing myself back into serious biking and daily workouts, I choose to spend more free time with the family, kids activities, and of course fishing which is my passion.   At five months, I believe there is more recovery to come, but maybe others can jump in on this part.    My balance is still not where I feel top notch, and that has led me not to try and force myself back into serious bike riding.     However, the balance doesn't matter on the boat since in open waters, the boat is pitching enough already, and my balance issues seem minor compared to the rocking deck.   I had also seen an uptick in headaches recently.    Maybe I've enjoyed by white wine a little too much or maybe its again part of the healing process.   Each one of us is so different in this regard.   However, I am pretty much doing anything that I really want to do, and for those other things, well I'll just get to them when I feel up to it.     

Last weekend, we fished the top of the Gulf Stream, well south of Nantucket for mahi and yellowfin tuna.   Then on the way home, we also dropped down some jigs on our favorite cod spots for nice market sized codfish.     I believe fresh codfish is extremely good for the recovery of an AN postie!!!   We will get in one more overnight trip to the North Atlantic canyons before the cold weather comes in!      Biking can wait!

Steve

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2009, 12:58:31 pm »
Hey Steve! Welcome back! good to see you!

Well, you were a couple of hours, by boat, south of me. Shame you didn't sail into Boston... the Tuna and Bluefish (sport) fishing is great up this side of the State. :)  Glad to hear you are doing well and thanks for the update! hang in there and plu-eze, don't be such a stranger.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2009, 02:48:07 pm »
4 months post op...This past weekend, I flew to the Husker/VT game.  I consider this quite athletic as I was tailgating at 8am for the 2:30 game and did not leave the parking lot til 9pm!  Sitting through the whole game -  if you call it that - was quite stressful - not due to my AN, due to the playing.  The day before the game, we went ziplining through the Appalachian mountains - it was awesome!  I highly recommend it!
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

Keri

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2009, 06:20:27 am »
Seal - I like your perspective on things... I'm glad you're enjoying fishing and family time. Regarding the headaches, I read somewhere that Ernie (tampa ernie) who initially had a super quick recovery was also getting some headaces as well (later). I hope this is just a passing stage for both of you.

Alicia - tailgating for hours followed by jumping up and down at a football game sounds like plenty of exercise! hope your team won! I'd also like to hear about the ziplining... although i have a mental picture of hanging on to a zipline as you go across some deep gorge.... that sounds pretty scary! but very scenic.

keri
My head feels weird!!