Author Topic: I too leaving Wait & watch  (Read 7186 times)

boomer

I too leaving Wait & watch
« on: January 30, 2009, 01:52:27 pm »
I have scheduled endoscope surgery on Feb 4 with Dr. Shahinian at Skull Base Institute in LA. I had originally had a date set for Translab set at HEI but with further research I have desided to do the endoscope procedure instead.  I feel comfortable with my new decision.  I was on the wait & watch for 6 month and with the follow up MRI found out it is growing so decided to do something about it and get on with life. 

Thank you everyone on this board who have helped me to make my decision.

Boomer

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
Re: I too leaving Wait & watch
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 05:44:22 pm »
Good luck! Please keep us informed of your outcome.  :)

Cathy

PS. Isn't it a good feeling to have made the decision that is best for you?
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Dawn

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:51:51 pm »
Hi Boomer,

What exactly is the Endoscope procedure?  How big is your tumor?  I am in the wait and watch and going for next MRI March 3rd, will decide after that but I too want it out so I can move on and not think about it every day and one day I'd like to wake up without a Headache or feeling nauseas.

Please keep us updated on how well you do after surgery.

Thanks
Dawn
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:01:01 pm »
Boomer:

Congratulations on your decision.  I pray your endoscopic procedure is successful.  Please stop back afterward to update us on this new approach to acoustic neuroma removal.  Thanks.

Jim
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:08:13 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keeping Up

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:43:29 pm »
Good luck Boomer

Two months as a truly new 'newbie', I was confident I could handle this waiting - but not sure I can do it.  I am already counting down the days until the next MRI - how odd is that.

I am quickly learning that what is right for me, isn't right for the next - and choices are all right for the right individual.

I look forward to reading you post-surgery recovery - may it be quick easy.
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 09:20:51 pm »
Good luck, Boomer.

It seems we have quite a few forumites choosing endocscopic surgery these days.

I hope everything works out well for you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 08:04:35 am »
Boomer,
Glad you've reached a decision, it feels good to have a plan, doesn't it?  I wish you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Dawn

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 08:40:49 pm »
Hey Keeping up - I don't think its wierd that you are counting days till next MRI...I am doing the same

Diagnosed 11/24/08, next MRI 3/3/09 and I can't stop thinking of all the decisions and how waiting is very hard...I just want it out and done with and on my way to recovery and moving on with my life.  I am in the same situation and my AN is about the same size as yours..

So don't feel alone, I feel the exact same way you do. PM me anytime if you want to chat...

Boomer I wish you luck and look forward to hearing about your procedure and especially your recovery and how you are doing

Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

highlife

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 09:34:49 pm »
Boomer:
Wow.  That date is coming right up.  Please keep us posted!
You'll be in our hearts.
Steph
Rt ear AN - 10x6x4mm
dx 9/08
wait

boomer

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 09:40:31 am »
Thank you everyone for your support.  I'm getting a little shaky the closer it gets.  But we know God is with us and I'm in his hands.  To "Dawn, Keeping up and Highlife"  I will keep you posted as how things are doing.   Talk to you later.

Boomer

Esperanza

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 10:42:35 am »
Good luck for Wednesday, hope it all goes very well.  Although I can imagine you are nervous, you will be in very experienced
hands and what a relief to have the 'intruder' evicted!
x
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 12:03:19 pm »
Good luck to you.  I just had my surgery last Tuesday and I am so glad it is over. The waiting was driving me crazy. The first two days were tough but then I got better fast. I went home on Friday. It feels great to be home now and adjusting to the post-op me.

Good luck,

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Dawn

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 10:40:24 am »
Hey Boomer,

Just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow, I'm sure everything will go great and you will finally be on the road to recovery!!!!

Look forward to hearing from you post op

Best wishes
Dawn

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 11:11:40 am »
Hi Boomer,

I don't know how I missed the date of your surgery, sorry about that.  I hope you have a wonderful outcome -- you will be in my thoughts and prayers today.  I hope someone will be posting for  you, we're like mother hens and we like to know how our chicks are doing. 

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

highlife

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 01:22:33 pm »
I imagine Boomer will be out of surgery in about the next hour.  Bless her heart.
Steph
Rt ear AN - 10x6x4mm
dx 9/08
wait