Author Topic: Squeaky sounds?  (Read 2287 times)

wcrimi

Squeaky sounds?
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:46:56 pm »
Every once in awhile, but especially when I'm in a crowded noisey room, I start hearing what can best be described as squeaky sounds in addition to all the voices and background noises in the room. It's like my ear can't process all the inputs and freaks outs.

Has anyone else ever experienced that?   

It goes away pretty quickly, but since I started getting out a little  because of the holidays I've been noticing it at restaurants and parties.
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Squeaky sounds?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:51:15 pm »
Hi Wayne,
I heard a lot of crickets but no squeaks.  It took quite a while for my hearing to settle down and for the tinnitus to fade into the background, but it's never really gone, I guess I've just gotten used to it.  Maybe there are other "squeakers" out there!
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wcrimi

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 02:19:12 pm »
Maybe I have squeaky crickets?  ;D
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 07:01:39 pm »
Wayne:

At the initial onset of my hearing loss before my surgery, many sounds were distorted. Ex1: sound of my coffee cup tapping on the counter or tabletop turned into a distorted extended sound. Ex2: One of my co-workers enjoys listening to the radio. I could hear it across the room though he had it low. What I heard was always what sounded like the theme song of The Price Is Right. I now realize that it was my AN ear distorting sounds.

What has always been annoying and still is very annoying is the sound of newsprint being handled. That is always very loud and distorted. It's hard to get away from that since I work at a newspaper. It's one of those thing that I just have to learn to deal with.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

wcrimi

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 09:05:12 am »
Thanks Syl.   I'm just hoping it's not a negative sign for my long term hearing.  Right now my hearing is better than it was right after surgery, but I still have periodic hissing, clogged feelings, squeaking, and high pitched tinnitus that varies in intensity and duration from day to day along with the level and quality of my hearing. The hearing has improved as those symptoms have diminished.  The high pitch was the only thing I had pre-op.  I am happy the long term trend with that has been favorable, but I still worry all the noises etc... won't get any better because they can make it rough to get to sleep sometimes. I keep a fan on at night to create some white noise.