Author Topic: Complicated post-treatment problems (long)  (Read 7660 times)

Yardbird

Complicated post-treatment problems (long)
« on: December 29, 2008, 03:17:20 pm »
Dear ANA discussion forum friends,

Thanks again to everyone who responded helpfully to my initial post seeking advice about giving up MRIs for CT Scans if I should receive a pacemaker/defibrillator implant., I feel reassured now that a properly-calibrated CT Scan at high resolution and possibly using some injected dye would be considered sufficient.

The reason I'm not posting back and forth here as readily and congenially as everyone else is because I'm legally blind and using a screen reader (text to speech) program. While such a program is very powerful, and I'm generally a skillful computer user and Web surfer, and subscribed to a number of mailing list groups on which I'm very active, this site and its message functions are extremely difficult for me to navigate and use. This is because of issues of page design and page element coding. Add to that the exhausting symptoms I'm about to describe, the difficulty is just a bit too much to handle except for figuring out how to post an occasional message and find responses to it. I don't have the energy and powers of concentration required to plough through these problems very often. Thanks for your understanding. Please be aware that directions won't help unless they're from another blind computer person.

Now, here's the main medical issue that brings me here looking for some perspective. I'll run through the history as concisely as possible:

Left side acoustic neuroma diagnosed at House Ear clinic here in Los Angeles, 2005. After months of online research and informative participation in a very active acoustic neuroma mailing list, I decided on radiosurgery instead of microsurgery, in hopes of having a better chance to retain useful hearing in that ear compared to the chances even with the best microsurgical approach I was told could be done with the tumor given its size and position. "Translab" was first advised, which of course would have immediately caused total deafness in that ear. Middle fossa approach was not available given the tumor's position. And even though one neurosurgeon offered to do sub-occipital, which offers at least a statistical chance of saving some hearing, that chance was a pretty small percentage compared to those suggested by studies both of standard single-session Gamma Knife and even more outshone by multiple-session FSR (fractionated stereotactic Radiation) modalities like Cyber Knife.

I wound up getting cyber Knife at USC Hospitals here, February 2006. I'd found that they had Cyber Knife equipment there, which would have been a lot less of a project than somehow getting up to Palo AltoStanfard and staying there for a week or so. My travel options and finances not being easily amenable.

But the neurosurgeon, hearing that I might need to be fully sedated for the several Cyber Knife sessions in order to stay still, convinced me that Gamma Knife would be fine in my case, and they could fit an anesthesiologist and his equipment into the room where that was, whereas they couldn't in the Cyber Knife room.

So I accepted the doctor's reassurance that Cyber Knife would be good enough, in terms of the concern I explained to him about my hearing.

Now for the post-treatment story.

As early as my first post-treatment call-back with the neurosurgeon, I felt that something must be the matter. My balance was still worsening steadily instead of leveling off or showing even slight signs of improvement. My hearing was quickly declining; within a few months, hearing in the AN ear would be all but useless. And worst of all, I'd begun to feel as if there were a heavy weight inside my head that shifted back and forth with every movement I made. I told all this to the doctor on that first visit. Self-confidently, he told me that my balance would eventually return to normal so long as I remained physically active so that my brain had the chance to adjust. I understood the principle of this. But I could see it wasn't going to happen that way for me. The hearing, he said nothing about. He didn't know it would completely die in a few months, anyway, just as I had no idea .

But most troubling of all was this. I tried to tell him something unexpected and very bad was happening, aside from any other concern I'd been prepared to deal with. I told him I felt as if my head were a fishbowl, nearly full of water, and that the water was shifting back and forth with every movement of my head.

Oh, don't worry, he said. There's no water inside your head. I tried to explain that's not what I'd meant, but he simply didn't understand. He'd never heard of such a thing. He also, apparently, was only able to imagine that I might have heard something about CSF leaks post treatment and that's what I'd meant. There was no getting past this. "Surgeons tend not to be very good with metaphors," said my ex-wife when I described the incident and my frustration about it to her. I resolved to try not to use figurative language anymore when asking a doctor about this sensation, and discovered the phrase "intracranial pressure," which sounded sort of related but very dry, for one thing, and also it kind of presumed that I knew, or imagined I knew, the physiological cause. Which I didn't. I have no idea what's causing this. But I added "intracranial pressure" to my lexicon when talking to doctors, anyway. Just so they'd know I didn't imagine that my head was full of escaped cerebro spinal fluid, or something. Like actual water, for instance.
That was nearly three years ago. As I said, the next few months would see the near-disappearance of all hearing from my left ear. But that is something many AN people have suffered, either early on even without treatment or as a consequence of treatment. I wish this hadn't happened, but if that were all, even though it puts me on the road to Helen Keller city, I might not be complaining.

But the rest is the problem. My vertigo-like balance problem just got worse and worse instead of recovering, and the bothersome feeling of weight shifting inside my head became a feeling as if my head has a 16-lb. bowling ball rolling inside it, my forehead and cheeks are throbbing as if I'm being slugged in the face by a skilful middleweight who's holding back just enough to not knock me down, and as if my head's being squeezed in an industrial vice. Every waking moment. Worse some times of day than at others, but never ceasing. I stagger when I move about, no matter how hard I try not to. The head pressure and vertigo are so fatiguing that it's very difficult just to remain functional in daily life and not collapse.
One after another, I consulted other neurosurgeons, neurologists with experience in vestibular issues, even with one highly-regarded researcher at a nationally prominent local teaching hospital who I've seen quoted in New York Times Science Times articles. Not a single one had any idea what could be the matter with me, as they listened to my presentation and looked at my most recent MRI of the tumor, which from what I've been told, I think has not grown since the treatment. I was referred to only one of these doctors by my primary care physician. The rarest I had to find by Googling and looking at their profiles on the Web sites of local hospitals and med school faculty pages. None of them even referred me to anyone else except for one, also at that teaching hospital, who referred me upward to his superior, the head of neurosurgery. Who also had no idea at all what could be the matter with me, and said he'd resection the radiated tumor and simply cut the vestibular nerve if I wished, but he couldn't even suggest, let alone promise, that this would have any beneficial effect.

Many of them, upon learning that I was legally blind and seeing my long white cane, came a little too easily to the idea that my impaired vision was more than likely the cause of everything. I know quite well that the vision is the most important backup system to the vestibular system, but first of all I'm not consciously confused about what position my body's in, ever, and also I came informed about my retinal degeneration and the pattern of my visual fields, and eagerly asked if lack of sight or acuity in this area of my fields or that one could be contributory factors. But none showed any interest in this, which led me to distrust a lot else about their responses.

So that's where it stands, three years after treatment. Head throbbing in a way that would make a person scream if it happened to them suddenly, staggering about, feeling very dizzy with every turn of my head or even just my eyes, even sitting down. It's exhausting and very, very discouraging. Debilitating.

Assuming there aren't likely any doctors on this forum who are ENTs or neurologists< I'm not asking for diagnostic hypotheses if no one has any. But has anyone experienced anything like what I've described? I know it all may sound trivial compared to some of the horror stories I keep learning about post-microsurgery patients who've lost control not only of their balance but of their faces, eyes, and much else, although I guess in all the mailing lists and patient archives I've been around I never did hear of this pressure thing.

Please, if anyone has or knows of anyone with a similar experience, tell me about the situation and whom you've consulted with or been treated by.

Thank you very much for your time and attention to this admittedly long post. I hope it hasn't been too daunting to plow through.

Sincerely,
Joel

interrest Any Ay hceck naigatehavigate.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 12:27:34 am by sgerrard »

Keeping Up

Re: Complicated post-treatment problems (long)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 03:42:29 pm »
**** I am a newbie but am in a typing mood today - so take what I have to say with a grain of salt! ***

I think your story does sound a bit horror like - it seems so many here return to a somewhat normal (or new normal) life, it doesn't sound like you have been able to.  I am just about certain that doesn't help!

1.  I would think a lot of your balance issues are related to your legally blind status - I just read someone else's link re the balance system (three systems - ears, eyes, and knees/legs - in very basic, high summary).  With 2 out of three comprimised, I think it would be relatively normal, unfortunately, to have significant balance issues.  It is discouraging that ENTs and neurosurgeons seem to disregard that.  I do think that regardless that whether the sight issues and the hearing issues being compromised don't leave you confused about your body position, it is likely sending conflicting message because your eyes/hearing seems to at least be partially working (that almost seems like the worse case scenario - walking out on limb here, but I would love to hear other people's comments).

2. I think the the face and bowling ball issues are possibly nerve (everyone uses a nerve term here - trigenminial nerve - highly mis-spelled I am sure) - which sometimes arises as a result of radiosurgery and likely surgery.  I have no clue what people do to ease the pain related to chronic nerve issues.  My mother has chronic nerve pain and it overwhelms her life at times.  While I agree that you definitely don't have water in your head, you would think an ounce of common sense would provide some insight into such a clear description - I think I know what you are talking about.  (Good message for all of us - don't use analogies with the doctors - silly people, must have been removed at med school.)

3. What are your follow MRIs saying?  If I remember correctly, post-radiosurgery types need annual MRI in the first period to monitor growth, necrossis, swelling etc.  What has your original AN done?

4. And, last, I have a gander that I read this - and is one of my questions with radiosurgery, is that the balance nerve remains encapsulated and thus can continue to disintegrate over time and is irrelevant whether the tumor has any growth.  Is the dying 'anti-AN' now causing more issues with your balance nerve than pre-surgery?

Good luck - I am sure the more experienced crowd can offer much more insight than my comments.  I do hope you find a next step from the awesome people here.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

LADavid

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 03:52:50 pm »
Hi Joel

The fishbowl, water balloon, bowling ball head is quite normal.  The reason why I found that surgeons normally don't hear those terms is because they don't normally deal with patients for an extended period of time post-surgery.  My Physical Therapist does.  She said those descriptions were very normal coming from her patients.  It takes training to get rid of it.

Unfortunately, I think you're going to have a harder time dealing with it due to your blindness.  As you mentioned, the eyes are a critical element in the retaining of the vestibular system.  I'm not sure what to suggest.  I didn't notice if you mentioned it, but have you considered Vestibular Physical Therapy?

By the way, I too am dealing with the water ballon head -- and at times -- a bowling ball when it takes all the neck strength I have to hold my head up.

Also, since you're here in LA, there is a group of us who get together for lunch and coffee or to meet new patients at St Vincent.  Each of us has had differnet procedures and are dealing with different issues.  You're welcome to join us.  Also, I don't know where you live in the area but I do have a recommendation of a Physical Therapist in Garden Grove.

Best wishes and please stay in touch.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 04:29:06 pm »
Hello Joel,

All I can say is that it breaks my heart when I read stories about people who have a medical problem, and then the cure seems to leave people worse off than before.  I'm so very sorry and hope that you can find some relief soon.  I've had a lot of minor odd ball things that seem to go on in my head but nothing compared to yours.   :'( :(

I know it is of no help to you, but you do have my profound sympathies and I will say a prayer for you.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

cin605

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 06:07:39 pm »
Hi,
you are not alone in the bowling ball,fishbowl,heavy bobblehead throbbing whacked in the head w/ a baseball bat pff balance
feelings!
i am six months post op & have this feeling every single day &its driving me crazy.
I am so tired.i can rarely drive.Can definatly not work my love life is at about zilch.
i try to keep my chin up but its very very frustrating.
I really feel for you not being able to see on top of all this crap!
I have spoke w/ doc after doc also they say its post op side effects.
i am in vestubular rehab.
Hope you find answers,when & if you do please share w/ us.
Thanks Cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 06:11:58 pm »
Joel~
I am with Sue - it broke my heart to read of your struggles.  While I guess some would consider me one of those with a lot of "complications" after surgery (including facial paralysis), I consider myself VERY blessed to be able to live my life pain-free.  I, personally, would take a "different-looking" face ANY day over the pain and horrible sensations you have daily.  I pray that you find some sense of relief and SOMEONE to listen & understand your problems.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 12:38:27 pm »
Hi, Joel:

Your situation is certainly frustrating, as many post-op/treatment issues usually are.  Sometimes, to destroy the tumor, one has to endure some terrible problems that can almost break a person's spirit and definitely alter their life.  Although I certainly sympathize with you I won't waste your time playing guessing games related to your disequilibrium.  Frankly, I have no idea of the exact cause and apparently, neither do some highly-trained physicians.  Although your blindness seems an easy culprit, I would think that after almost three years post-irradiation and with the AN being stable, you would notice at least a little relief and some minor improvement in your balance.  Of course, I could be wrong.  I'll simply hope and will pray that your equilibrium improves, soon.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 12:44:19 pm »
Hi Joel

The fishbowl, water balloon, bowling ball head is quite normal.  The reason why I found that surgeons normally don't hear those terms is because they don't normally deal with patients for an extended period of time post-surgery.  

Joel -

I agree with David.  I also agree that you should look into vestibular therapy.

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this; hang in there.

I'll keep you in my prayers,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sher

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 10:52:22 pm »
Joel,
I have found that some of my dizziness is Cervigogenic Dizziness which is a symptom of degenerative neck issues. I have the pounding head at times both with the AN and the C5-C6 herniated disc and pinched nerves. I can push on places on my neck and that pounding subsides. I am headed to another Neurologist after the new year to see what can be done for the neck issues. It feels like my head will explode sometimes, but I do know that part of it is the neck. Maybe try some massage therapy on the neck to see if that takes any pressure away.

Hang in!!!!
Sher
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 11:21:21 am »
Hi Joel,
You certainly are dealing with a boatload of problems!  :-[  My thoughts and prayers go out to you as you try to deal with all your issues.  I hope that you can get some relief for your pain, at the very least.  I don't have any experience with these symptoms, but it sounds like some of the other forumites have had some of these problems.  Maybe they can steer you in the right direction.  I will add you to my prayer list!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 05:49:23 pm »
Hi All,

Since Joel has so much trouble working with our forum software, I have made an arrangement with him through email. I am copying each reply you make as an email to him, and he is emailing his replies back to me. I will be posting each one separately. Even though my name is on them, they are really from Joel. As I told him, it is really not much trouble, and I am quite happy to play postman.

I know that he really appreciates all of your responses, and I hope those of you with knowledge on the subject will try to help him out as best you can.

Steve

So here goes with the first batch...
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 06:02:20 pm »
Hi Ann,

First of all, thanks for responding. But please know that I've studied up on how our balance systems work, and am aware of the importance of the
vestibular system, the vision, the joints (propioception) and the fact that low vision, let alone total blindness, is no help with a vestibular problem. But I would bet money that low vision isn't the *cause* of my problem.

I'm not at all denying that vision loss contributes to balance difficulties. But believe me, I know what I see and what I don't see, and I know the scope of my visual fields in each eye. Low vision is not at all the total reason for this problem, which is evident even if I'm simply lying flat on my back and just turn my head a degree or two one way or the other. I am not what you think of as "dizzy" in the normal sense. This is a neurological problem that is simply not just about my low vision. I may never find an adequate diagnosis, let alone an effective  treatment, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to all be about just compensating for my somewhat blurry and patchy vision. Again, you'd have to be inside my head to say "oh! I see!"

1.  I would think a lot of your balance issues are related to your legally blind status - I just read someone else's link re the balance
system (three systems - ears, eyes, and knees/legs - in very basic, high summary).  With 2 out of three compromised, I think it would be
relatively normal, unfortunately, to have significant balance issues. It is discouraging that ENTs and neurosurgeons seem to disregard that.
I do think that regardless that whether the sight issues and the hearing issues being compromised don't leave you confused about your body
position, it is likely sending conflicting message because your eyes/hearing seems to at least be partially working (that almost seems
like the worse case scenario - walking out on limb here, but I would love to hear other people's comments).

I understand why you're imagining that the pressure in my head and face may be caused by damage to the trigeminal nerve. But half a dozen neurologists and neurosurgeons have had no comment like that at all, and I'm not saying that makes you wrong. I'm just saying that, even though I have done my homework, as we say, so that I'm prepared for a good discussion with these docs, they never have said "Wow. That sounds like trigeminal nerve damage." So it goes.saying no

(everyone uses a nerve term here - trigenminial nerve - highly mis-spelled I am sure) - which sometimes arises as a result of radiosurgery and likely surgery.  I have no clue what people do to ease the pain related to chronic nerve issues.  My mother has chronic nerve pain and it overwhelms her life at times.  While I agree that you definitely don't have water in your head, you would think an ounce of
common sense would provide some insight into such a clear description - I think I know what you are talking about.  (Good message for all of
us - don't use analogies with the doctors - silly people, must have been removed at med school.)

my follow up MRIs over the past three years have shown only that tumor growth has stopped, and that there is some visual hint of necrosis, meaning
cell death from the tumor's DNA being disrupted by the radiation treatment. The oncologist and neurologists, looking at the latest MRI, have never said that the tumor is touching anything that would cause such trouble. That doesn't mean I wonder if they're wrong, it just means yes, I've gotten
regular MRIs, and no, the tumor itself doesn't look to the doctors as if it would be causing problems. Personally, I wonder if that matters, and if the problem isn't damage done or still being done to the vestibular nerve, as someone else whose message I'll reply to eventually has suggested.

3. What are your follow MRIs saying?  If I remember correctly, post-radiosurgery types need annual MRI in the first period to monitor
growth, necrosis, swelling etc.  What has your original AN done?

Oh. I see now that it's you who made this suggestion. Sorry. I read by touching each line with a cursor that makes the computer read it to me. I
can't easily keep in mind what you'd just see a few lines above or below what you were treading or typing. yes, I think that's an interesting idea.
But don't forget, some folks undergo types of microsurgery that simply sever that vestibular  nerve, and eventually most people regain a good bit of their balance as their brains reorganize themselves. In my case, whatever has happened to the nerve, I've had my balance tested much more thoroughly than even the normal tests, and it's clear I simply have no balance signals coming to my brain from the left side at all. That should not be any worse than having had surgery where that nerve was cut.

Again, thank you very much for  your response,
Joel

(please see this earlier post regarding why this is posted by Steve: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8368.msg90490#msg90490)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 06:12:32 pm by sgerrard »

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 06:09:49 pm »
Dear David,

thanks very much for responding to my post.

The reason why I found that surgeons normally don't hear those terms is because they don't normally deal with patients for an extended period of
time post-surgery.

David, I've consulted a couple of neurosurgeons, and the rest were neurologists who do have extended contact with patient. That includes a noted researcher who specializes in balance and vestibular  issues and has plenty of time and background to contemplate these things. Common as you say my sensations are of my head exploding and weighing a ton, the non-surgeons were complete blanks upon hearing about this, too.While you say it's common. Maybe some highly skilled ENTs might find such things more familiar, do you think?

My Physical Therapist does.  She said those descriptions were very normal coming from her patients.  It takes training to get rid of it.

I went to about five sessions with a pro therapist at the Rehab Center at UCLA neurology. She did not find my symptoms familiar-sounding at all, despite her considerable experience. She tried to teach me techniques to disrupt my brain's balance center and retrain it, but over those five sessions, and practicing everything she taught me between sessions, I never felt even the slightest hint of either discomfort that might be creative (you know, a new balance confusion that might eventually settle into new balance) nor did I feel any slight physical change in anything, standing or walking or whatever. If the process is so subtle that it would take years to accomplish, suffering all the while, I feel skeptical.

Unfortunately, I think you're going to have a harder time dealing with it due to your blindness.

As I've said earlier, I'm not entirely blind, and though poor vision is most likely a contributory factor in some circumstances, it can't possibly be the cause of what I feel lying down or sitting still if I simply move my head a fraction of an inch, for example, nor of the pressure in my head and face. The therapist's only interest in was possibly helping me to overcome staggering when i walk, which is especially bad when I stand up after sitting or lying down for more than a couple of minutes. I had no no confidence that she understood how any of this worked with me. I talked to others on the same staff, but they too seemed to think I must just be dense or too impatient or something, while failing to sound as if they understood my physical experience. This was discouraging.

As you mentioned, the eyes are a critical element in the retaining of the vestibular system.

Maintaining balance, you mean? I know. But as I said above, I'm not unable to see anything of my surroundings. I know my fields of vision and I understand the neurology of this, and no doctor or therapist was willing or able to discuss this in terms of just what about my faulty vision would cause the most difficulty. Believe me, I gave them a good opportunity to be specific. Central vision, mid and far peripheral vision, motion awareness, visual acuity, points of focus. I was ready to learn just what would most confuse the brain in the absence of function from one side of the vestibular system. I got no useful response at all. Didn't' go anywhere. And I had to remind them that I'm low vision, not blind, and there's a meaningful difference. It took me a couple of doctors to learn that, because at first, they just made assumptions without asking me for any particulars about how my vision works.

I'm not sure what to suggest.  I didn't notice if you mentioned it, but have you considered Vestibular Physical Therapy?

yes, as i said. I think I read below that you see the woman who's connected with House (Garden Grove, right?), last name England, I think? But I live alone and don't drive, so Orange County isn't somewhere I'd go for this. Also, UCLA is not exactly a village clinic in rural Mexico. Not meaning to be sarcastic, but I feel as if I did get a good taste of professional therapy. Not that I'm unwilling to try someone else if that seems my only option to help with any of my problems, but that's another question.

Also, since you're here in LA, there is a group of us who get together for lunch and coffee or to meet new patients at St Vincent.  Each of us has had different procedures and are dealing with different issues. You're welcome to join us.  Also, I don't know where you live in the area but I do have a recommendation of a Physical Therapist in Garden Grove.

I skipped ahead a little by mentioning physical therapy and ms. England. I live in the Beverly Fairfax. I know that St. Vincent's is the hospital close by the house Ear Institute, where their surgeons have privileges and perform most of their operations. It might be nice to meet people in a support group, so if you'll tell me more about where and when you meet, i'll be able to make travel arrangements by paratransit services. I do take the bus here and there, but I wouldn't take the bus down to Third and Alvarado and home again. which wouldn't stop me from dropping in at least once to get acquainted.

Thanks a lot for responding. It's comforting to know I'm not alone in my difficult experience,although of course my desire is to find credible
diagnosis for what's going on, and if possible some treatment directed at the cause. If possible. I'm not ready to give up on trying to find medical intelligence that can br brought to bear on this. Not yet, anyway.

Best,
Joel

(please see this earlier post regarding why this is posted by Steve: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8368.msg90490#msg90490)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 06:12:54 pm by sgerrard »

sgerrard

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 06:16:43 pm »
Hello Joel,

All I can say is that it breaks my heart when I read stories about people who have a medical problem, and then the cure seems to leave people worse off than before.  I'm so very sorry and hope that you can find some relief soon.  I've had a lot of minor odd ball things that seem to go on in my head but nothing compared to yours.   :'( :(

I know it is of no help to you, but you do have my profound sympathies and I will say a prayer for you.

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue, thank you so much for your sympathy about my difficulties. it's true they're pretty dramatic, to put it nicely, and that I feel as badly as you'd expect to have incurred such disastrous results from what I'd hoped was a prudent treatment for a medical problem. To this day, I don't really know if the treatment itself contributed to these problems, or if all of this might have happened anyway whatever treatment I'd chosen. And although I am complaining shamelessly about what's happening to me, I'm sadly aware that people who've had other treatments, particularly microsurgical "resection," as the doctors call it, often suffer what I'm afraid I have to admit seem like worse horrors than I'm dealing with. Faces all out of control on one side like something out of a horror movie, eyelids that won't close, ringing in the ears (tinnitus) that's so loud it would drive most people mad, and much else. I'm really perturbed that this whole acoustic neuroma  thing can turn out to be something that can be so crippling to a person's life, even if they do the responsible thing once it's diagnosed.

Sorry to go on like that. But just getting a little basic sympathy kind of makes me want to express my sorrow and anger,. it's all natural enough. I'm still keeping my head up, as they say. Fighting to be functional and non-depressed as best as I can. Keeping the faith, so to speak.

thanks again,
Joel

By the way, where or what is Vancouver, USA? I live in Los Angeles, California USA, for instance. What is Vancouver besides a city in Canada?
thanks.

sgerrard

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 06:18:37 pm »
Hi,
you are not alone in the bowling ball,fishbowl,heavy bobblehead throbbing whacked in the head w/ a baseball bat pff balance
feelings!
i am six months post op & have this feeling every single day &its driving me crazy.
I am so tired.i can rarely drive.Can definatly not work my love life is at about zilch.
i try to keep my chin up but its very very frustrating.
I really feel for you not being able to see on top of all this crap!
I have spoke w/ doc after doc also they say its post op side effects.
i am in vestubular rehab.
Hope you find answers,when & if you do please share w/ us.
Thanks Cindy

cindy,

Thanks for writing, even though you're obviously as frustrated as I am. It's good to know I'm not from outer space on this problem, but that others can't get anyone to really figure out and/or treat these problems, so that rehab is like the only resort, as if you've had your legs blown off in Iraq and you just have to learn to use a wheelchair. But, instead of my just being cynical, let me ask you to please say more about your rehab and what your experience is so far with that. Good, bad, whatever. I'd just like to hear more about it. Thanks so much, and do keep your chin up (i've taken to saying "head," which I must've picked up from young acquaintances into hip hop expressions, sort of. Do try to stay strong, despite all. if it helps to think about it, please remember to feel glad you're not going blind, on top of everything! Seriously. I'm laughing, but really. Okay?

Joel