Author Topic: Complicated post-treatment problems (long)  (Read 7661 times)

sgerrard

Re: Complicated post-treatment problems (long)
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 06:20:54 pm »
Joel~
I am with Sue - it broke my heart to read of your struggles.  While I guess some would consider me one of those with a lot of "complications" after surgery (including facial paralysis), I consider myself VERY blessed to be able to live my life pain-free.  I, personally, would take a "different-looking" face ANY day over the pain and horrible sensations you have daily.  I pray that you find some sense of relief and SOMEONE to listen & understand your problems.

K

Dear K,

Thanks so much just for being able to sympathize with my plight, despite your own obviously difficult problems post treatment. Yes, I guess I might be more easily able to bear hemifacial paralysis than feeling as if an elephant is sitting on my head day and night, as a dear 12-year-old friend and I like to joke about it. But as I've said a couple of times to other forum friends just now, simply knowing that someone doesn't think my problems are either sort of imaginary or are just slight side effects that aren't worthy of  serious diagnostic interest makes me feel a lot better and more able to stay strong and try to do my best. So a profound thank you for that.

Joel

(please see this earlier post regarding why this is posted by Steve: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8368.msg90490#msg90490)
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

sgerrard

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 06:24:18 pm »
Hi, Joel:

Your situation is certainly frustrating, as many post-op/treatment issues usually are.  Sometimes, to destroy the tumor, one has to endure some terrible problems that can almost break a person's spirit and definitely alter their life.  Although I certainly sympathize with you I won't waste your time playing guessing games related to your disequilibrium.  Frankly, I have no idea of the exact cause and apparently, neither do some highly-trained physicians.  Although your blindness seems an easy culprit, I would think that after almost three years post-irradiation and with the AN being stable, you would notice at least a little relief and some minor improvement in your balance.  Of course, I could be wrong.  I'll simply hope and will pray that your equilibrium improves, soon.

Jim 

Thank you, Jim. You're right, the vision problem, while not totally blameless, is much too easy an explanation, and if you were behind my eyes and inside my body you'd immediately agree. you just say the word "blind" or the phrase "partially sighted," and people, including more than a few doctors, immediately think, Oh, of course. That's it. Without asking a single knowledgeable question about how I actually see and what I don't see clearly, or anything about the state of my retinas, which has to be very crucial in this. Plus it can't have anything to do with the head pressure thing that's so debilitating, and a bunch of other objections that come easily to me. You bet I'm frustrated. I think a truly interested scientific person would really look into it, including any contribution that impaired eyesight might of course make to some of this, and come up with ideas about what could be happening to the brain's balance center. To me, it's something that ought to be worth curiosity. I can't believe I'm not getting any of that, yet. I read all these great stories that are so popular these days about how a doctor followed up this hunch or that that was not the way some other doctor had been thinking, and figured out the cause of a very troublesome or potentially lethal problem some patient had that was not responding to treatment as expected. I mean stories in pretty sophisticated and not uncritical places like the New York times Magazine and such. Not little inspirational newsletters or anything. But where is that brilliant, interested doctor for me, instead of all these seemingly semi-autistic guys (and it's always guys, in this area, so far in my experience).

Jim, Thanks for the kind words. I am not only frustrated and weighed down by this stuff, but also I remain truly interested, if not that hopeful anymore. Not just cynical or defeated.

Best,
Joel

(please see this earlier post regarding why this is posted by Steve: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8368.msg90490#msg90490)

Keeping Up

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 07:08:03 pm »
Hi Joel

I do hope you find some new ideas to pursue.

I have to apologize for my post - a little bit of newbie exuberance that is very obviously out of place on this board - given your knowledge as well as the knowledge of the other people  on this board. I will tame my exuberance in the future and just be a question asker instead of an advice giver. 

I certainly don't mean that to sound sarcastic - my response was too basic.  I will admit sometimes going back to the basic is a good start (I do that at work a fair bit - start from step 1 again and again if things aren't working well, think out of the box etc).

Nevertheless, I hope you find the next avenue from people's suggestions.  I have learned a bit from the various responses (so much better than my own).  Your story has again put the solution to the problem being worse than the problem - at least in my case - that it reduces my fear that watching is best for me - so I guess we all learn from the various responses here.

Ann

dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

sgerrard

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 07:25:35 pm »
Joel -

I agree with David.  I also agree that you should look into vestibular therapy.

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this; hang in there.

I'll keep you in my prayers,

Jan

Hi Jan,

thanks for replying to my post. As I told David, I've already been introduced to therapy with absolutely not the tiniest feeling of effect or a sense that my problems were actually understood. As I said, it isn't that I'd refuse to try another therapist or program sometime, but I am simply not going to spend hours and hours of my life taking Paratransit  buses for the disabled back and forth to a rehab clinic while I continue to feel like a marionette whose strings someone occasionally cuts so that its legs seem to just buckle, while my head continues to throb in a way that would force any of these doctors and therapists to retire from their careers.

again, thanks.

sgerrard

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 07:30:45 pm »
Joel,
I have found that some of my dizziness is Cervigogenic Dizziness which is a symptom of degenerative neck issues. I have the pounding head at times both with the AN and the C5-C6 herniated disc and pinched nerves. I can push on places on my neck and that pounding subsides. I am headed to another Neurologist after the new year to see what can be done for the neck issues. It feels like my head will explode sometimes, but I do know that part of it is the neck. Maybe try some massage therapy on the neck to see if that takes any pressure away.

Hang in!!!!
Sher

Sher,

Wow, what you've got going there sounds like a real drag! I'm afraid none of my stuff is due to spinal or neck issues. I'm sure of that. Wish there was some connection, but there isn't. I'm glad you've at least got some factor that you can identify and get some help with. I mean, horrible as your symptoms sound (and pretty familiar, as you know), I'm a little envious. Sounds perverse, huh? Well, you know what I mean.

here's hoping the help you get has a significantly beneficial effect.

joel

sgerrard

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 08:26:45 pm »
Hi Joel
I do hope you find some new ideas to pursue.
I have to apologize for my post - a little bit of newbie exuberance that is very obviously out of place on this board - given your knowledge as well as the knowledge of the other people  on this board. I will tame my exuberance in the future and just be a question asker instead of an advice giver. 
I certainly don't mean that to sound sarcastic - my response was too basic.  I will admit sometimes going back to the basic is a good start (I do that at work a fair bit - start from step 1 again and again if things aren't working well, think out of the box etc).
Nevertheless, I hope you find the next avenue from people's suggestions.  I have learned a bit from the various responses (so much better than my own).  Your story has again put the solution to the problem being worse than the problem - at least in my case - that it reduces my fear that watching is best for me - so I guess we all learn from the various responses here.
Ann

Hi Ann,

I'm a little perplexed by what you say, because it sounds as if I may have spoken more harshly than I meant to? There's no reason for you to apologize for offering your thoughts, is there? This is a forum, and you expressed reasonable ideas that occurred to you, and I certainly don't have the answers I need about the stuff I'm experiencing medically. I just tried to respond in a methodical way, point by point, in what I hoped was specific and respectful. I didn't mean to make you feel attacked in any way! Honest.

Again, you have nothing at all to apologize for, and I'm certainly sorry if my attempt to respond to your message as carefully as I could turned out to seem insulting in some way. I didn't mean that at all.
Best,
Joel

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 05:23:17 pm »
Hi Joel,
You certainly are dealing with a boatload of problems!  :-[  My thoughts and prayers go out to you as you try to deal with all your issues.  I hope that you can get some relief for your pain, at the very least.  I don't have any experience with these symptoms, but it sounds like some of the other forumites have had some of these problems.  Maybe they can steer you in the right direction.  I will add you to my prayer list!
Priscilla

dear Priscilla,

thanks so much for your kind response. I'm surely hoping that I will be able to exchange useful information and helpful thoughts and feelings here in this fine group.

An Happy New Year to everyone, despite whatever their challenges may be. Let's all keep our heads up and try to do justice to the gift of our lives while we have them!

Joel

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 06:49:56 pm »
Hi Joel,

I too had CK 7 months ago. I am having more than normal dizziness and balance issues. I also feel fullness in my head, and 85% functional hearing loss. I have explored the TTG injection option. I decided against it for now. I don't know if you looked into it. I also went through extensive balance testing. Mine registered 100% loss in my right ear. Luckily for me my AN Doc specializes in balance and in pre and post treatment for balance. He mentioned, as thorough as the testing is, it cannot completely test for balance issues in the nerve. He feels a Labrinthectomy has a 95% chance of fixing the issues. I don't want to pursue that yet either. In addition I have eye issues nestagmus and oscillopsia, nothing like your eye issues...and don't laugh....a big toe issue. Before diagnosis I thought the surgery on my big toe, rendering it too small to be functional had caused the balance issues. It definitely didn't as I now now but it sure doesn't help either.

I guess what I am suggesting for the grain of salt it is worth is your situation and mine may have a connection in more than just symptoms. there is more than one balance issue we are dealing with. I hope you find some answers. Ongoing vestibular exercises have helped to some extent but that nerve keeps letting me know it is mischievous! I wish I had wonderful insight but I know I feel tons of compassion for you. Hang in there - we super wonky heads have to stick together!

Mary 8)

PS - Thank you Steve for helping us communicate with Joel!
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

JudyT

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 10:56:07 am »
Dear Joel....this is Judy....Fresno,Ca....4 years out from CK @ Stanford, and experience the same issues. My head is 24/7 full, pressured,sinus type fulness.lost hearing on left side. You could almost draw a line down the middle of my face with issues on the left side (affected side). headaches everyday....some worse than others. When I get up in the morning I'm truly the best I am going to be for the day. By 2:00 PM I am fatigued, regardless of hours of sleep,...the pressure builds, balance gets even more difficult...noise/conversation becomes more difficult. I have had vestibular rehab....excercises to perform....a whole variety pack. No concrete remission of issues. I am now experimenting with the Wii Fit/Sports editions. With your visual disabillities I'm not sure if you could try them. They do provide a great deal of entertainment to my grandchildren as they cheer me on.....laughingly yelling "Go Nanny" I have to laugh myself.....but I keep trying. I definetly think at least my issues are caused from damage to the nerves. As the dynamics of the "dying process" are ever changing....thus irritating brain tissue....and the radiation have brought these issues forward. At this point my best solution is competent massages regularly. They seem to release the water filled tissues in head and neck and relax the tension in my body used to keep myself upright. This feeling of fullness is relieved and then begins to reappear.....another massage is needed. She comes to my home in the evening, is reasonably priced (well worth any cost) and I feel better all over.....able to cope more effectfully....with my problems. I so sympathize with you and hope you can find at least some answers here...You at least have come to a scource of caring and sharing of information that is most helpful and reassring in times of sheer frustration. I know from personal experience this site is full of wonderful, responsive people. I hope you can find some degree of peace in just knowing you are not alone in this search for answers...keep up the good fight and together we all might bring about the changes needed in the medical community to hear us when we ask.

sgerrard

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 11:32:45 pm »
Dear Joel....this is Judy....Fresno,Ca....4 years out from CK @ Stanford, and experience the same issues. My head is 24/7 full, pressured,sinus type fulness.lost hearing on left side. You could almost draw a line down the middle of my face with issues on the left side (affected side). headaches everyday....some worse than others. When I get up in the morning I'm truly the best I am going to be for the day. By 2:00 PM I am fatigued, regardless of hours of sleep,...the pressure builds, balance gets even more difficult...noise/conversation becomes more difficult. I have had vestibular rehab....excercises to perform....a whole variety pack. No concrete remission of issues. I am now experimenting with the Wii Fit/Sports editions. With your visual disabillities I'm not sure if you could try them. They do provide a great deal of entertainment to my grandchildren as they cheer me on.....laughingly yelling "Go Nanny" I have to laugh myself.....but I keep trying. I definetly think at least my issues are caused from damage to the nerves. As the dynamics of the "dying process" are ever changing....thus irritating brain tissue....and the radiation have brought these issues forward. At this point my best solution is competent massages regularly. They seem to release the water filled tissues in head and neck and relax the tension in my body used to keep myself upright. This feeling of fullness is relieved and then begins to reappear.....another massage is needed. She comes to my home in the evening, is reasonably priced (well worth any cost) and I feel better all over.....able to cope more effectfully....with my problems. I so sympathize with you and hope you can find at least some answers here...You at least have come to a scource of caring and sharing of information that is most helpful and reassring in times of sheer frustration. I know from personal experience this site is full of wonderful, responsive people. I hope you can find some degree of peace in just knowing you are not alone in this search for answers...keep up the good fight and together we all might bring about the changes needed in the medical community to hear us when we ask.

Hi Judy,

Thanks so much for responding to my thread here. Your experience sounds similar to my own in many ways, although different in others. For instance, I do have my period of greatest ability to do things and think clearly in the morning, but it's only because I'm rested, which allows me to stand up better to my head pressure and vertigo for a couple of hours. But the moment I awaken, sit on the edge of the bed and then stand, I'm already fighting against head pressure and dizziness that's very extreme. Just lifting my head from the pillow begins these feelings, and standing up after lying prone for hours requires me to reach out with both open hands to hold myself up so I don't just topple into the bedroom wall like a felled tree. The balance becomes a little more manageable after an hour or so, but "manageable" is all I mean, and to most people that would seem a heroic effort, not a relief from the problem.

I don't know what WII is, but if it's video and exercise that involves focusing on something, I lack the central retinal vision that's needed to see a TV picture clearly or focus on a point. So solutions or therapies that require that kind of vision aren't possible for me to try.

I'm glad your regimen of massage has been helpful, and I'm sure I'd consider that a wonderful luxury, although such services are out of my very modest budget. But muscle tension and that sort of thing isn't really a conscious problem of mine in connection with my vestibular difficulties. That doesn't mean that massage as well as many relaxation techniques, from biofeedback to meditation, wouldn't be a nice relief and distraction. But that's about it for me, I'm afraid.

Strange as it may sound, I'm a little bit reassured to learn that you had your treatment done at Stanford, because the neurosurgery department there is nationally respected, as I learned from the  Acoustic Neuroma mailing list I was on a couple of years ago, for its expertise with acoustic neuromas, especially their pioneering use of the Cyber Knife protocol. So maybe going to USC wasn't really my downfall, just something more like the reasons you're guessing at, I think very intelligently, even if no solution is being found yet.

Thanks again for your comments, and just hearing how similar you feel is some encouragement not to feel as if I'm just imagining all this grinding stuff that's happened to me since I underwent radiosurgery.

All best,
Joel

JudyT

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 10:31:09 am »
Hi Joel.....happy to receive your reply....I sit on the edge of the bed for a few moments and pushing my shoulders down....allow my head to fall forward....chin to chest....then proceed with a few head rolls.....clockwise then reverse......taking deep yoga type breaths.....then very slowly rise.....stabilizing myself and focusing on my path. I rise quite early as I experience body pain....induced from lying down for extended period....in neck.....shoulder, hip, knee and ankle joints. About 6 months ago I purchased from footsmart catalogue 2 pairs of "flips....orthodically constructed that are desiigned to excercise calves,thighs and abs....also support feet/ankles so that I walk/stand correctly. You must begin wearing them at short intervals to avoid muscle soreness. I now purchased winter version....same idea but front enclosed.....will accomodate socks if necessary. I bought my 2 adult sons(Christmas gifts) the same ones as they are now made for men. They look the same but have much larger sizing......they LOVE them.....they both suffer from heel pain. They are adults 44/46 and have been wearing Birkenstock's for casual wear with not even close to same results. I too have the Birkenstock's same deal.....not nearly as effective for me and balance issues. I am able to stand for longer periods of time....walk more confidently....legs getting stronger. Head still has fullness etc. but balance improving. Last night I had them all here for a delayed Christmas dinner and one said to me " it sure is great to see you at the stove again Mom" I love to cook and have not been able to stand for extended time to cook such elaborate meals in a long time. I replied "it's the shoes" If you are interested I will forward more info to you.....they are modestly priced at $60 +SH......well worth the investment.
Hope to hear from you soon.......keep trying....sometimes we have to find our own solutions.

Judy  P.S. My late husband's name was Joel.....he passed in 1995.... we were married for 38 years. I was unable to help him survive the ravages of Diabetese. It is heartwarming to me if I can in some way be of help and comfort for you.

sgerrard

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 07:51:57 pm »
Hi Judy,

Thanks for explaining the details of your personal therapy regimen and issues related to footwear. I may in fact try to do some of the head motions you describe at the moment when I'm rising from bed, before I stand up. But I can tell from your description that I probably won't be reporting that doing this changes very much.

As you describe your condition, it sounds as if we're very different in terms of our physical experiences and conditions, even if we think we feel some of the same things, in some ways. I don't have any particular problem standing still for a while, though for general reasons I do eventually get weary in a way I wouldn't have a few years ago. But it's not as if I am fighting against falling down all the time. That's just when I rise to my feet after sitting a long while in a chair or a car, or of course after lying prone in my bed for hours during the night. And staggering a bit as I walk down the sidewalk isn't much fun, and managing this of course makes me pretty tired. but I am familiar with the footwear issue as you describe it, and I'm certain that has nothing to do with my problems. My posture isn't faulty, my footgear support isn't a problem in any way, whether I'm barefoot or wearing a variety of properly fitted and supportive shoes that I own. I'm fortunate not to have any chronic pains in any of my limbs, joints, back or neck.

As for standing in the kitchen prepping a recipe and then standing over the stove to cook it, the only thing that's dangerous is for anyone to try to chaste me out of the kitchen while I'm working, especially if I've got my triangular-bladed chef's knife in hand . I say this so you know that talking about the kitchen isn't exactly alien stuff to me.

Also, I exercise regularly in a routine that I vary from workout to workout, trying to approximate the various things I did at a gym for years until I decided to work out at home. I ride a stationary bike at an aerobic pace for a solid amount of time. I do sets of push-ups, abdominal crunches, overhead presses with a bar and free weights, bicep curls with hand weights, triceps work, squats with the bar across my shoulders, and so forth. The only impediment isn't pain or weakness, it's having to bravely hold up against the head throbbing (not exactly a headache, I have to explain) and feeling as if the world is always going back and forth unless I keep my head and my gaze perfectly immobilized, which is difficult to do because it's not at all natural. So it takes some extra spirit and determination to overcome those problems and work out anyway, but when I do I'm rewarded to know that I'm treating my poor old heart well by giving it some work to do, that I'm not letting all the muscles in my body turn to jell-O, and of course I simply feel elevated in mood and happier after I work out, for the usual nice changes in my brain chemistry having to do with endorphins.

So, as I say, I don't think the system that seems  to alleviate your physical stability and strength  problems sounds like a good fit for me. But I'm really glad to hear that you've been so enterprising and found some helpful products and techniques for yourself. That's great.

Keep up the good work. And thanks again for providing more thoughts and experiences for me to learn from.

Joel

sgerrard

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 01:37:14 pm »
Hi Joel.....happy to receive your reply....I sit on the edge of the bed for a few moments and pushing my shoulders down....allow my head to fall forward....chin to chest....then proceed with a few head rolls.....clockwise then reverse......taking deep yoga type breaths.....then very slowly rise.....stabilizing myself and focusing on my path.

P.S. To Judy T. about rising from bed:

Judy, thanks for describing the exercise you do before standing  up out of bed and beginning to walk. But I've tried doing what you say and my situation is dramatically different. Just turning my head a little one way or the re other, let alone doing  sort of "head rolls," as we say,involves such a feeling of weight and pressure moving back and forth inside my head that it's impossible to keep doing on purpose. The same with breathing carefully and deeply, moving carefully, and so forth. My problem seems to be so fundamental that no exercises or changes in the way I move can help, only sometimes minimize the problem as long as I concentrate on keeping my eyes or head in one position or throwing my arms out for balance like a tightrope walker . I'm afraid there's nothing "misaligned" in my body except for some circuits inside the balance center of my brain.

But just to let you know I gave it a shot. I'm pretty sure that what I need is either a medicinal corrective or a surgical intervention of some sort, and it's left to me to find out how to pinpoint the problem and find doctors to propose possible solutions .

thanks again,
Joel

sgerrard

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 02:07:10 am »
I feel I really ought to add something to the explanation I posted about keeping up an exercise program in the face of my heavy head pressure/vertigo. I certainly didn't mean to come off macho, for example; it took every ounce of my will power to not get off the stationary bike and just lie down on my bed and be sad because just moving my eyes or tilting my head the tiniest bit makes everything go crazy. I kept trying, and I'm proud of that.

But since the onset of heart failure  just a couple of months ago, I have been too weak to persist at this heroic effort. Now I'm being treated with medication and considering the implant of a defibrillator device, and just can't do the exercise anymore at least right now. it's too much on top of the vestibular problems!

So I'm not a superman, and my vestibular problems are very, very powerful. but only heart trouble has finally defeated my efforts to take care of myself in this way. In other words, my problems aren't exactly the same as have been described by others, only partly similar. But they aren't slight, and I'm not stronger than your average AN bear. I did not mean to imply that.

thanks,
Joel

JudyT

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 07:34:10 pm »
Hi Joel.......I think you are a super man and so eloquently express your concerns.......they are certainly justified. Keep up the good fight. We are all in the same boat here......"QUESTIONS" galore. Ask away......fatigue is my demon of the day..........

My best......Judy