Author Topic: The Importance of Pre-Treatment Research  (Read 1078 times)

fbarbera

The Importance of Pre-Treatment Research
« on: December 23, 2008, 09:43:28 am »
Today, the NY Times published the attached article about doctors who are failing to inform breast cancer patients of the most recent advances in the field of reconstructive surgery -- often because they are not trained in the newer techniques or because the newer techniques are less profitable.   My guess is something similar is going on in the world of Acoustic Neuromas, where too often doctors are failing to advise patients accurately about all of the alternatives available to us.  Certainly, that was my experience. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/23/health/23beauty.html?_r=1&hp

I think this important article demonstrates why it is critical that we, as patients, take it in our own hands to research our treatment alternatives proactively by consulting with multiple doctors with different areas of specialization and multiple patients on this forum and elsewhere -- before deciding on the right treatment approach.  The best way to get complete and accurate information about Acoustic Neuroma treatment alternatives is to consult with a variety of people and resources.     

Warmest wishes to all for a happy holiday season.

Sincerely,

Francesco
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:52:35 am by fbarbera »

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
Re: The Importance of Pre-Treatment Research
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 01:19:27 pm »
well my surgeon, neuro, asked me point blank how much info off the internet i had about my AN . I said i hadn't  too much just enough to know what it was, and what my ear surgeon had given me.......

HE said GOOD!!!!!! please stay away for internet sites for one reason. Most forums , In his opinion , only concentrated on all the things surgeons or hospitals did wrong.........

very few folks post what went well for them. Well this forum certainly hasn't been that way that i can tell in last year i been here.

More informed , yes, discussing the exact how's and whys of what my surgeon is going to do if and when he opens me up? maybe yes too.

BUt if i dont have TRUST in this person. all the evidence and info i have will be of no help to me....
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here