Author Topic: does heat make your vertigo worse?  (Read 21633 times)

BlueEyedCat

does heat make your vertigo worse?
« on: November 09, 2008, 08:14:33 pm »
I am not diagnosed with AN. I have just had some issues with mild vertigo beginning in September. I had my ears washed out....hard wax build up removed. My family doctor hoped that would correct the vertigo and told me that if it wasn't gone a week after the ear cleaning that he was going to refer me to an ENT as a possible AN. Yikes! Well, unfortunately, the symptoms have persisted however they are considerably better. I am just not thinking it is an AN but I guess I just won't know until after my visit with the ENT and an MRI. I have noticed that if I drink hot tea or if I just feel hot, my vertigo gets worse. Has anyone else noticed that? I will probably also be checked for MS (multiple sclerosis) as I am at a higher risk of getting that because I was diagnosed with having Transverse Myelitis 9 to 10 years ago. The symptoms increasing with heat exposure make me concerned that could be it. But I also have a very slight stuffy feeling in my ear so that sounds more AN. Sorry to bug you all here but I am an information nut and I find some of the best info comes from patients (and their anecdotal experiences) and not always the medical professionals. The limbo stage where you know something isn't quite right but you don't know what it is yet, is sometimes the most frustrating. I remember feeling like that before I got my Transverse Myelitis diagnosis. All kinds of weird symptoms and no answers can drive you crazy! LOL.
Thanks so much for any answers. I do appreciate it! :)
Laura

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: does heat make your vertigo worse?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 08:35:24 pm »
Laura -

vertigo can be a symptom of many things.  My dad's had it for years and he does not have an AN.

Ear fullness is an AN symptom, but it also can be a symptom of other issues.

The best way to find out if you have an AN is to have an MRI with contrast, so I'd ask your ENT to be proactive and order one sooner rather than later.

Please let us know what your results show.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

marguerite

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 04:26:03 pm »
as crazy as this sounds... my vertigo is more intense after i laugh. i have noticed i get VERY dizzy in crowds, especially the mall, which i do not like anyway. And elevators and escalators are not fun either - but i will keep laughing, i will.

BlueEyedCat

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 05:30:33 pm »
thanks so much Jan and Marguerite. I appreciate the time you took to reply. Vertigo is a weird thing. Thankfully mine isn't too bad most of the time and actually a lot of time it doesn't even affect me. But when it does, it is un-nerving.
Thanks!

mema

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 07:07:15 am »
I suffer vertigo .  Sometimes its so bad I can't get out of bed for days.  Just a slight turn of my head can cause it.  I live in Florida, where summer months are hot, hot, hot.  I nuke my food and coffee or tea in the micro.  I like hot.  But I've done this for 25 years now and only suffer vertigo for 6 years.  So for me I don't think there is a connection.  Like someone said above "vertigo is caused by many, many things.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.