Author Topic: Walking assistance  (Read 8466 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Walking assistance
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 04:28:28 pm »
Boomer:

As you know, every AN experience is similar but unique to the individual involved.  I had borrowed a cane before my surgery, expecting that I would require it.  I used it once post-op and realized that it wasn't necessary.  My physical therapist agreed but said to use it if I ever felt unsteady.  Fortunately, I never did.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 06:13:41 pm »

I needed a walker for 2 weeks after surgery ... now 3+ years later... I'm still a little unsteady in the dark, or when I tired. I can't do a toe to tow DWI walk dead sober.... lets hope I never get pulled over and tested   :-X but I'm out in the kayak ... take the train .. it just takes a little longer to re-learn balance again  ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »
Syl -

if you have no takers for your walker, you might want to consider selling it on craigslist if there is one in your area.  I've sold tons of stuff on craigs - and someone is certain to be looking for a walker.  If you're opposed to selling it, craigs also has a "freebie" area.

Sorry for the small hijack of this thread  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 08:26:17 pm »
a helpful highjacking...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 12:22:40 am »
to cwood - WHOOP WHOOP!!!!!!!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 10:23:04 pm »
Hi Boomer,

I was thinking about getting a couple of walking poles (like Leki Nordic walking poles) in preparation for the post surgical period. Sounds like a few of you has used something similar.  No negative comments, so may be a useful item to pick up.  At least they have life after recovery.

Joef, how long was it before you felt comfortable getting into a kayak again?  I love being on the water and was wondering if the balance & strength required came back to you fairly soon after surgery.  I'd hate so see my Prijon in storage for too long.

Cheers!

Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 04:10:34 pm »
Ya'll are scaring the doo doo out of me.   :P

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 10:50:32 am »
Cheri -

congratulations on reaching the driving milestone  ;D

As I recall, it's a great feeling to be mobile again and not have to rely on others for a ride.

You are doing really well; keep up the good work,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 12:11:50 pm »
Ya'll are scaring the doo doo out of me.   :P

And you are cracking me up.  :D

You might be joining their club for a while, but just as likely not. Don't let them spook you.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 07:12:32 pm »
i had baalance issues from my lack of hearing and AN  b4 surgery. as the night came on it was much worse i leaned to left , my good ear side, and couldnt stop from hitting walls.

after now 11 months, i still have moments where i know im off kilter. and i lean on wife or use a cane. but not many. the Ear surgeon tested my balance 3 days ago and said it was much better then b4 or even 6 months after surgery

so its improved according to every one.........
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here