Author Topic: My BAHA surgery has been scheduled!!  (Read 3223 times)

wendysig

My BAHA surgery has been scheduled!!
« on: November 06, 2008, 03:07:19 pm »
Hi everyone!

I just got a call from my doc's office -- my BAHA surgery is scheduled for January 5!!! ;D  I guess you can tell I'm excited!!!  I know my insurance company will cover the cost of the surgery -- it remains to be seen if they will pay for the processor, but I'll deal with it as it comes.  Right now I am so happy I feel like I'm jumping out of my skin!  I just thought I'd share this great news with you since I know all of you will understand why I am so thrilled about having a date set for this surgery!  When my doc's office manager called me to offer me a couple of dates,  she laughed when I told her this was surgery I am happy about having but she too knew what I meant!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

Re: My BAHA surgery has been scheduled!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 03:41:55 pm »
Great news Wendy!!!! 

Maybe the hustle and bustle of the holidays will make the time seem to fly by for you.  I know how much you're looking forward to your new fashion accessory. 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 04:17:09 pm »
Hi Lori,
I  and thanks -- know you are right the holidays will help the time fly by and since it is practically right after the New Year it really is like the belated Christmas present I was hoping for!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 04:29:26 pm »
Wendy:

Congratulations!  Time flies, especially during the upcoming hectic holiday season.  January 5th will be here before you can say 'Happy BAHA New Year!"  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 06:22:52 pm »
Wendy~
How exciting for you!!  What a great Christmas present!!  Yay for you!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Tamara

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 07:28:01 pm »
That's great Wendy - I'm glad you worked out the insurance problems.  I'm hoping to get my processor shortly before Christmas, so I'll let you know how that goes.  I LOVE technology!

Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 09:03:59 pm »
Congratulations, Wendy  ;D

I can totally relate to your excitement!  The day I heard my insurance company would pay for my BAHA I felt like I'd won the lottery.  I immediately sent an email to my neurotologist to ask him how soon I could schedule the surgery.

I'm so very thrilled for you  ;D

I hope you'll be as delighted with your BAHA as I am with mine.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 08:27:58 am »
Hi Jim, K, Tam and Jan!
Thanks for your good wishes!  Even though no one looks forward to surgery per se, I am very excited about this one and what it represents.  I have found being SSD a real problem in a house full of mumblers (this has been confirmed by people who can hear well).  The cat is the only one who makes consessions for me.  He seems to realize I can't hear him on my right side and now sits on my left side when he's not in my lap.  He also likes to lay accross my shoulders sometimes and now puts his head on my left shoulder.  Sometimes animals are smarter than people. ;D

Jim - I know you're right -- since the holidays are practically upon us the time between now and January 5 will probably fly by and now I have something even more wonderful to look forward to!  What a great way to start the New Year. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

K -  You are right too -- this is the best Christmas present I could have hoped for! ;D ;D ;D

Tammy - I am so excited for you that you and hope you get your processor before Christmas -- what a wonderful gift that would be!   I'm really looking forward to seeing how you like it -- I'm sure you'll be thrilled!;D ;D ;D

Jan -- You have truly been an inspiration to me and I know I will love my BAHA as much as you love yours! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wendy

2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!