Author Topic: How long after surgery/SSD until the ear FEELS normal? Does it ever?  (Read 3022 times)

ColoradoGal

• Can I make you a margarita?
I think I could live with SSD if my ear didn't feel like it is packed with cotton.  Does that ever go away? I had no hearing loss before my surgery 8 weeks ago.
2.5cm x 2.8cm debulked Aug 2008 at Barrows
retrosig, Spetzler & Weisskopf
post-op SSD, but all the facial stuff is working!

Kaybo

Re: How long after surgery/SSD until the ear FEELS normal? Does it ever?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 11:35:30 am »
I don't know whether to tell you it does or if you just get used to it, but I don't even think about it!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 11:41:05 am »
I had perfect hearing prior to my surgery and am now SSD. I understand what you mean by "packed with cotton". Yes it did get better for me - over time, be patient. The whole left side of my head felt tight and numb and that has gotten tons better. Massage/heat and nice warm baths certainly help. My tinnitus is horrible and it it worse when I am tired or dehydrated. Hope that helps...patience.. you will soon hate that word.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 12:32:16 pm »
I also had perfect hearing until my surgery three years ago.  My ear still has that "full" sensation, the ENT doesn't understand why.  I also have no feeling in the exterior part of that ear or for that matter that side of my face!  Everyone is different though, and you may loss the sensation.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 09:18:21 pm »
Fullness in my AN ear was one of the two symptoms I had prior to my surgery - the other was diminished hearing.

I'm about 16 months post op and some days I still have the ear fullness.  Other days, I either don't have it - or as K said, I just don't notice it because I'm so used to it that it doesn't annoy me anymore.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cynaburst

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 10:51:07 pm »
I am 7 years past AN surgery and I still have that full feeling.  It is not constant, but it is pretty much every day.

Catflower

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 11:49:35 am »
Not only does my AN ear feel full so does my "normal" ear and I've had this feeling since my surgery a year and a half ago.  My "good" ear has been checked and rechecked several times with no explanation of why I have this feeling.  Some days it's worse than others.  I'm praying that some day it will go away.

Linda

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 05:27:49 pm »
You know, on occasion, my "good" ear feels full also  :P

Maybe it's all just in my head (no pun intended).

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

calimama

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 03:22:16 pm »
I had reduced hearing prior to surgery (-30%) and now am SSD. I did not have the "full" feeling before or immediately after surgery, but did i think a few months after. It only lasted for a few weeks (it was unpleasant for sure). Now no fullness, but of course, no hearing either. I dont find the SSD is too big of a deal when in quieter places (home, work, outside), but the whole thing is pretty crappy in restaurants and other places with lots of background noise. I think that part will always be an issue... I can't imagine going to a night club and listening to jazz without my head exploding. But having a little one kind of kills the night life anyway. And "been there done that".

One day at a time...
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.