Author Topic: Punctal Plug  (Read 2544 times)

Catflower

Punctal Plug
« on: November 04, 2008, 11:47:06 am »
I had a punctal plug in my affected eye (right), but it must have falled out.  I had another one put in yesterday and for the first time since my surgery a year and a half ago I actually had tears roll down my cheek.  I'll take that anytime.  I highly recommend the "plugs" even if you have to keep having them replaced as they do have a tendency to come out. 

Linda

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Punctal Plug
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:46:05 pm »
Linda-

Great topic.  I haven't gotten one yet, but have been reading and researching, and talking to my opthalmologist.  There are several different kinds of punctal plugs, both "permanent" and "removable" and made with different materials for those who have sensitiviies.  If I don't get some tearing back soon, I'm going to get one.  I'd love to hear from anyone else as to experiences with punctal plug.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jan D

Re: Punctal Plug
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 11:02:12 am »
I've had a punctal plug for over 2 years.  It hasn't fallen out yet!  I have had very good luck with it, in that my eye keeps the artificial tears in longer and the ones that I produce via "crocodile tears" stay in longer too.

My eye has been better because of it.

Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.