Author Topic: pictures after surgery...facial paralysis.  (Read 6225 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

pictures after surgery...facial paralysis.
« on: October 19, 2008, 03:45:02 pm »
Picture of me after surgery. Facial paralysis Grade 6/6 and feeding tube.
Next picture is of me 7 months later trying to close left eye. Face more symmetrical.
Angie
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:42:29 pm by CROOKEDSMILE »

CROOKEDSMILE

Re: Pictures of cellulitis after eyelid weight removal and other pics.....
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 03:47:08 pm »

Here's the other photos. Sorry to gross you guys out with the cellulitis photo but although the surgery is safe and simple.....the ramifications of cellulitis post surgery can be frightening and can lead to blindness if untreated so I want you to see what it looks like.'Angie

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 04:14:11 pm »
Angie, is the pic of you and your husband one week pre-MVD or one week pre-eyelid surgery?

I think your smile looks very nice in the picture showing the cellulitis. Can't wait until mine looks that way.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 04:46:58 pm »
Hi Sara,
The picture of me and my hubby was 1 week prior MVD surgery. I wish my smile looked that good now. I can't show my bottom teeth very good and can only show a few teeth on my week side. I can show more teeth when my eyes are closed for some reason?!?!? When my eyes are open a smile is harder to do. Sounds crazy I know. Anyway. The cellulitis came about 3 days after the weight was removed. Post-op infection. It showed up on a Friday and I called the surgeon and told him that I had an infection of the lid and the eye. He called in drops (office was closed!) I called him at home the next day and told him that the drops were not helping the lid...duh~So he called in an abx. ointment. Well by the time he saw me in clinic on Monday the skin was starting to macerate (soften and fall off) He immediately started me on oral antibiotics in very high doses and daily visits to see him until it cleared in about 2 weeks. Gotta stay on these doctors sometimes!
Angie

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:16:04 pm »
Hi Angie,
I know some might think "Why is she posting this?" I am very happy you did, I think it is important to be aware of everything. Now I know what to look for should something go wrong. I will be right on top of it.
Thanks Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

lori67

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 08:00:26 pm »
Angie,

Thank you for posting that.  I agree, it's important for people to know what to watch out for.  That looks so painful, I can't even imagine.   However, your "in pain" smile looks 100% better than my "not in pain" smile.

The picture of you and your hubby is so sweet!   :)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 08:21:18 pm »
Hey Girl!
Great pic of you & sweet hubby! and good idea to post the other one so that people can be aware of what can happen.  I called the doc back today b/c my eyelid is "swollen" again, but he said that it was actually getting a little bigger Thursday when I was in, I just hadn't noticed it yet (neither did the nurse).  He said it was all part of the healing process.  If I didn't know better, I'd say someone came in my room in the night & stuck another weight in - it looks just like it did before he removed it!!  Crazy! 
Weren't there supposed to be a couple of other shots??

K
PS - Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 08:18:03 am »
Michelle,
Funny you say that because actually I was just seeing if I could follow Jan's instructions on posting pictures because dumb me have tried to post pictures for the last month as you know. I just copied and pasted several and whoa! they all worked. So it is a crazy collage of pictures. I'm so proud that I finally did it. I actually wanted the pic and me and hubby in my profile picture but couldn't get it to work. The cellulitis one is disgusting but I really want people to be aware of the signs of this infection after eye lid surgery because it comes on quick and can be dangerous if left untreated. The one where I am closing my eyes shows that my eye ALMOST closes by itself when I try really hard. This week it is closing a little better and at times not showing white but the blink thing is still sooooooo hard. Thanks for accepting my crazy collection of pics......
Angie

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 08:33:50 am »
Hey Angie,
Yipeee we are all getting better at this posting picture stuff. Your profile picture is the same go to Forum profile information under profile .It has a box that says I have my own picture - copy and paste the direct link from photo bucket and ta da it will appear. Try again you are almost there.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 09:05:55 pm »
Why were the before pictures removed?

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!