Author Topic: 23 days post CK  (Read 2803 times)

sher

23 days post CK
« on: October 25, 2008, 06:42:50 pm »
I am 23 days post CK and all of a sudden today, I lost some hearing and have extreme tinnitus.. I have had tinnitus all along but this is crazy... Anyone experience this?
Sherry
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

sgerrard

Re: 23 days post CK
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 09:41:10 pm »
Tinnitus is just plain annoying, I can't say much about that. But if you are experiencing hearing loss, I think you should contact your doctor. If it is a significant drop, a short course of steroids might fend off a permanent loss, which is worth it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 09:43:32 pm »
Hi, Sherry:

I didn't have CK so can't give you a personal response to your specific situation but I know (from posts by CK patients) that post-radiation swelling can generate the kinds of problems you're experiencing.  If the hearing loss and tinnitus persist, I would contact your doctor and seek his advice.  I hope and will pray that this condition is temporary.  Please keep us updated, if you can.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 06:35:36 pm »
Sherry,

you should contact your ENT or your CK team as soon as possible. Sudden hearing loss happens because of swelling, which cuts off the blood supply to the nerve. In such cases, steroids can help if taken promptly. This has happened to me twice, once before treatment and once post-GK. I had severe hearing loss, with loss of word recognition and terrible tinnitus. In both cases I took prednisone within 24 hours and my hearing recovered in a few days.

Let us know how it goes.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:42:55 am »
Sher,

As part of the radio process (regardless of type of radio treatment), we are always mentally prepared that edema/swelling may occur. While the swelling may occur, it may cause pressure on the hearing nerve. Some experience temp decrease in hearing, some don't. Some may lose hearing (perm) post radio, some don't.  I've heard from many in the same shoes.... myself included.

Approx 4 mos post CK, I had temp decrease in hearing. My hearing test at that time confirmed it... a 15db decrease.  After that, it stabilized, the pressure stopped and my hearing resumed back to what it was at the time of treatment. I have been lucky on that account. 

Hang in there... see if the doc recommends a short term course  of anti-inflammatories (ie: Ibuprofen, steroids, etc).  Please remember that you just had your CK less than a month ago and the post treat journey has started.   There may be bumps along the way and you know what to  look out for (not to actually look for them but you are aware of what may/could occur, although much does not occur for many).  You know the average timeframes for things to possibly crop up. Don't keep "looking" for them but try to keep them in the back of your mind, but also knowing that you have educated yourself for these things that could/could not happen.

Hang tough!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sher

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 11:53:31 am »
Thanks for all your comments... you are great!!!!
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling