Author Topic: wondering about the night after surgery....  (Read 3313 times)

Carson

wondering about the night after surgery....
« on: October 18, 2008, 07:13:51 am »
My mother has asked me to ask.....Will she be able to stay at the hospital even though my father will be in ICU??  This of course will be a question at our consult...but just wondering how it went for you all?
Loving daughter to my
Father recovering from AN surgery
9/4/08 at The Ohio State University Medical Center
Dr. Welling and Dr. McGregor
GO BUCKS!!!

texsooner

Re: wondering about the night after surgery....
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 07:50:59 am »
Carson..I had my surgery just a couple of months ago. My surgery was 12 hours...didn't get to ICU until about 10 p.m. that night; but my wife and kids were allowed to visit me for a few minutes in ICU. I actually pre-arranged a hotel room just a block away from the hospital for my family to stay for the first couple of nights...my wife also wanted to stay at the hospital, but I really didn't want her doing that. I can understand your mother wanting to be there, but she also needs to take care of herself. Since your dad will be in ICU that first night, if your mother wanted to stay, she might have to hang out in a waiting room, but all hospitals are different. The surgery day will be a very long day for you and your family, so I'd recommend getting as comfortable as possible. Once your dad is moved to a regular room(probably 1 or 2 days after surgery), y'all will be able to spend plenty of time with your dad.

Hope this helps...you are doing great for your family...keep firing questions if you have them.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 08:08:31 am »
Hi Carson,
I think if my husband had wanted to stay they would have let him (make sure you ask the hospital) but since I was so well looked after in the ICU, I sent him home (to a friend's actually) to get a good night's sleep.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 02:06:45 pm »
Carson -

it probably depends on the hospital and their policies, so I'd ask them or your dad's doc(s).

I never was in ICU per say.  After I woke up in recovery I was put into a regular hospital room that was coded "ICU" and then the next day I was downgraded.  The chair in my room conveniently turned into a bed so someone could have stayed with me.  My surgery was in a fairly small hospital though.

Since I'm single, my parents didn't stay at the hospital, they went back to my house to be there for my kids.

Like Marci said though, your dad will be in very good hands at the hospital - so if your mom can't or doesn't want to stay, she shouldn't feel guilty.  Being a family member of someone going through AN surgery can be very stressful and taxing.  Your mom may decide she wants to get a good night's sleep some place other than the hospital and return the next morning.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NW

• 9mmx8mmx10mm Surgery Oct.17,2007
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 04:19:01 pm »
Carson,

I don't think at OSU they allow anyone to stay in the ICU that night, I know while I was in there, they were very strict about visiting hrs while in the Intensive Care unit. You are watched very closely, I had a nurse sitting at the foot of my bed logging everything on a computer the entire time I was in the unit. I do recall them telling my husband & sister it was time for them to leave, then my daughter had arrived from college & they let her come in just to see me but then she had to leave. They are always doing something to you whether it was vital signs or neuro checks. Once he's to a regular floor, more than likely the next day, if your mom wants to stay I'm sure they wouldn't object. OSU was phenominal, care was outstanding. He will be well taken care of.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 06:18:56 pm »
Carson~
My surgery was 14 hours so afterwards, they took me straight to ICU.  This was in days before you just spent ONE night in ICU and I was there for several days.  They were VERY, VERY strict about visiting hours which was VERY hard on me since I had never even been in the hospital.  That 1st night, they did let my family in to see me and that I was "OK" and settled but then they were asked to leave.  My sweet hubby stayed at the hospital that night - he just couldn't bear to leave me - but he just wondered!  I actually got to leave ICU before they usually let people go b/c Dave & my mom promised the Dr. that they would stay w/ me 24/7!!  Ask the hospital their policies, but I agree that you mom needs to take care of herself so she will be able to care for your dad in the days to come.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Carson

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 12:53:36 am »
Thanks!!   ;D  Definatly a question we will ask on Friday....
Loving daughter to my
Father recovering from AN surgery
9/4/08 at The Ohio State University Medical Center
Dr. Welling and Dr. McGregor
GO BUCKS!!!

klangel

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 03:41:05 pm »
i found that i was in pretty good hands the first day after surgery. i t was after that that next 8 days that were rough and i wished that someone was there with me.