Author Topic: It is about time! (interal weight)  (Read 6192 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
It is about time! (interal weight)
« on: October 15, 2008, 03:13:42 pm »
I went to see a facial plastic surgeon and I am having a thin platinium internal weight put in and a tightening of the lower lid that is sagging a bit (it is tired of hanging around without support). All that under a local and in one hour, I waited WHY? Honestly I was holding out for recovery of my eye, I am too tired of the dumb eye. Oh and he said he was not sure if my eye is dry because it is exposed all of the time or the tear gland has shut down. Either way this will really help less drops and lube and great protection for the cornea.
I want to get it all organized because I was offered a full time job in kindergarten to start in January. Did I tell you the greater universe is taking care of me.
Oh and Trish please PM me if you are interested in any contact numbers in regards to facial retraining or the facial plastic surgeon (in TO) - I will help in any way I can.
Michelle :)
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

texsooner

Re: It is about time! (interal weight)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »
Michelle, I'm pretty new here, but guess I can relate some to the dry eye. I'm convinced that mine is not because of too much exposure. Even though my eyelid is weak, I can still close it and blink. I'm just not producing any tears(as I noted in my post on the post treatment board). I'm 2 months into this now and I'm getting really tired of the non-stop routine of putting in eye drops. I too have been holding out thinking this will improve, but I'm beginning to doubt it. Congrats on your new teaching job.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 05:48:30 pm »
Thanks Patrick,
I use Refresh Celluvisc individual vials (you can pop the lid off and pop it back on again) during the day, if my eye is really a pain I use lacilube (no preservatives are crucial).  I also use lube from one corner of my eye to the other  corner then I use paper tape and an eye bandage over for the night. My cornea is great.
See my post on eye wear for a cool idea. Ask tons of questions it really helps.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

calimama

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 07:37:27 pm »
Hey Michelle,

Look forward to hearing how this goes for you (the weight i mean).

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO happy to say that my double vision has improved dramatically in the past few weeks and i woud say i am about 90%+ fixed. What a huge relief! I am now starting to take the patch off indoors, although my vision is still a little messy due to the lube that keeps my eye feeling better (than drops). I think i might start wearing glasses in doors for protection of things that might hit my eye (including Cali's flying fingers!   :o

I am a bit curious too about the blink that you mentioned. I am finding that when i blink my left (AN side) eye twitches (not a full blink, but like it's trying a little). I THINK this is kind of new, but anyway the eye still won't close.

I will also enquire about the facial nerve testing when i have my 6 mo follow up. That sounds weird...about one side of the face taking over for the other. Did you find anything about this on the internet? I have not heard of this.

Hey, congrats on the full time position. That's wonderful.

Thanks Michelle,

Trish

Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 09:03:58 pm »
Michelle~
I am SOOO glad that you are getting a weight.  It will be so much better for you and remember that it is COMPLETELY reversible.

Trish~
WHOO-HOO - I was so happy to read about the vision and the movement of the eye!  Continued progress is in your future - I can feel it!!  ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 06:54:09 am »
YEAH Trish - I am so happy that your DV is better. One less thing to worry about . Check out my post on Eye Wear and see what I made for my sunglasses and they are great. There are pictures too and a link. I like them when I watch TV, on the computer etc... I would wear them all the time inside but it is getting darker now that it is fall.
When I started to notice a tiny tiny blink it was when I was looking out of my eye and could see a bit of my lashes. When I looked in the mirror the blink is so tiny and quick I could not see it at all.  I used my camera and video taped it and there it was just a wee flicker but something. Anyway maybe that is happening for you too - I hope so. Come on nerve do your stuff!!!
Just waiting on my appointment for my weight, the doctor is great and has lots of experience with this so be sure to get his number from me when/if you decide to do it.
I am cheering you on Trish.
Michelle  ;D

bltfollis

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:22:55 pm »
hello my name is bill, and it appears that my symptoms are quite similar to yours with your eye and face my surgery was almost 3 months to the day and my eye is slowly making tears only later in the day though if any one can shed some insight greatly appreciated

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 05:28:26 pm »
Michelle,
Just something to think about (as if we don't already have enough to think about!) I had the tuck to lift the lower lid and my plastic surgeon did a very minimal tuck because he said with healing the tone would improve and he didn't want to forever change the shape of my eye. So be careful especially since you have regeneration to your eye. Now that my eye is starting to get somewhat better I can tell that the shape is different. It gives it a more rounded appearance so be careful. I wish that I had never touched my eye and been patient. The heavy weight stretched my lid and the tuck changed the shape. I DO NOT mean to change your mind because the surgeon that I had put in waaaaaayyy too heavy of a weight 1.8 platinum and put it in the inner part of my eye giving me a cat eye appearance and it stretchedt the skin and my doctor here immediately removed it when he saw it. Just be sure that you are your own patient advocate and ask ALOT of questions! I did like the immediate result of the tuck. My eye looked alive again rather than just hanging down like a dead persons but don't let him go overboard. Like my surgeon told me......Angie as you heal and your eye gets its tone back then you'll be running back in here asking me to fix your eye because now that it has recovered it looks different and then there won't be anything that I can do because the tuck has been done. I think if it is done RIGHT and not OVERDONE then you should be fine and should not notice a big difference even after your nerve has recovered. I just want you to know EVERYTHING before you go in even for a simple procedure. The weight surgery is a piece of cake...the tuck hurt worse because they cut the muscle and tendon away from the eye bone and reattach it but it heals nicely. Be careful to use all things sterile (or as close as possible) on your eye. My plastics guy gave me a huge bottle of sterile saline to put in the fridge and 4 x 4 gauze and this is what I used for cold compresses. It worked like a charm. I did get cellulitis after my weight removal which was severe and required tons of antibiotic drops, cream and oral meds and daily visits to the doc. So be good to your eye after any surgery. I do think that you are making a great decision regarding the weight and lift just do it in moderation. My doctor went overboard with the weight and the tuck did change the shape to some degree so ASK questions!
Angie

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 07:01:04 pm »
You are just what I need - THANK YOU! I  totally appreciate your honesty and frankness. I am going to bring this up when I go in - I am so glad you said what you did. I am going to do it for sure but certainly am going to say don't go too tight. If I didn't say if loud enough thank you. This is how we stick together and get through this....
Hugs Michelle  ;D

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 07:04:39 pm »
Hi Bill,
Hmmmm maybe your nerve is regenerating? I found when I increase my heart rate that my tears would flow but other than that not a thing.
Welcome Bill, did you wake up with facial paralysis right after surgery? How is your balance? Did you loose your hearing? You will find this site to be a great resource and the folks here are so wonderful, I might stay forever.  Ask tons of questions.
Michelle  ;D

calimama

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 01:36:37 pm »
thanks guys (girls!) for comments on (the end of) my double vision... gosh i was really worried it would not fix.

interesting what crooked smile had to say about eye weight..esp. since most on here have been so positive.

Michelle i did check out your custom glasses... glad you have something that works well and is keep your cornea nice and babied. i am still relying on my patch for outdoors...people do stare at me (the little kids love it!), but i am kind of used to this so it does not bother me so much. I think i told you that my opthamologist #2 poo-poo'd the eye weight... but that was only one opinion. I can't get an appt wiht opthamologist #2 until dec, so i am just kind of sitting here trying to work out next steps.

Yes, i have a similar blink/twitchy thing going on. I may be noticing it more now that i have that eye uncovered sometimes. I hope the blink comes back!? I know that the eye can take a long time though (and i still can't close mine completely).

anyway, thanks all, and a good weekend all round.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

bltfollis

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 01:52:43 pm »
woke up with facial paralysis whole rt. side, dizziness still a real problem cant seem to shake it talked to doctors they just say takes time they wont scribe any more meds and it sucks riding the tea cups 24/7rehab helping a little but it moving too slow for me any suggestions

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 03:14:10 pm »
Welcome,
When did you have your surgery? Did you lose your hearing? I suffered with balance issues and am about 80% better hoping to get even better over time. Dr says that might be it but I choose to ignore and hope for more.
Michelle  ;D

bltfollis

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 03:52:11 pm »
my surgery was 3 months ago lost,some hearing and left with buzzing in rt ear, that gets worse with backround noise, your so chipper with your responses i really appreciate that, i see the eye doc next week to schedule for wt and tuck hope its  as wonderful as every one says in the forum

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 03:53:57 pm »
The tuck and weight isn't a negative experience just get the right weight put in and the tuck in moderation........
Like I said in my last email ..I liked the results from the tuck. Just do it in moderation so that the shape of your eye isn't forever changed. This came right out of the plastic surgeons mouth and I am so glad that I listened to him because I thought that he wasn't tucking it enough~and it still changed the shape just a little bit. And the weight will be GREAT as long as they don't overdo it like they did mine. When he was trying on weights preop to see what I needed he even said that the weight might make the eye droop but from what I've learned from this group is that it shouldn't make the eye droop as long as the correct weight is put in. So again...just ask questions and if something doesn't seem just right to you then talk to your doctor! That's all. I may have another tuck done because my eye is still droopy but just a small tuck like I had done before. Nothing too major.
Angie

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 04:00:27 pm by CROOKEDSMILE »