Author Topic: HELP FOR UNDERSTANDING CONSEQUENCES OF WATCH AND WAIT  (Read 4405 times)

TOM101

HELP FOR UNDERSTANDING CONSEQUENCES OF WATCH AND WAIT
« on: October 12, 2008, 02:54:04 pm »
I have been watch and wait since 4/06, starting at 1.3cm x .6 x.6 and just received 10/06/2008 MRI at 1.5 x .9 x .9 with minimal growth from 10/07. However, I am constantly concerned that I have been given a warning and if I don't take it I could get facial paralysis and/or balance problems.
I'm sure many of you are in the same scenario.
I found an article that I am attaching, that gave me some more insight into  the chance of getting paralysis and vertigo. It is a very detailed analysis and  as one example it states that in  many cases if the growth of the AN is slow the nerves are able to obsorbe the movement and no damage is done. At least, I now feel that I better understand my chances of not having or not the problems.
Hope this helps.

History of the Procedure
Over the last 80-90 years, the operative mortality rate has dropped dramatically from 40% at the beginning of the century to less than 1-2% in the last decade. Postoperative facial paralysis, once the rule, is now an uncommon permanent sequela of acoustic tumor surgery. Attempts at hearing conservation, unimaginable at the beginning of the century, are increasingly successful.

These very dramatic improvements are the result of the convergence of several factors. Vastly improved imaging techniques permitting early diagnosis, adaptation of the microscope to the operating theatre, development of facial and auditory nerve monitoring techniques, improved anesthesia, and improved perioperative management have all contributed to enhanced outcomes. Most important has been the relentless striving of hundreds of neurosurgeons and otologists.

Frequency
Clinically diagnosed acoustic neuromas occur in 0.7-1.0 people per 100,000 population. The incidence may be rising, a reflection of the increasing frequency with which small tumors are being diagnosed. Careful autopsy studies can detect small vestibular schwannomas in a higher percentage of elderly patients, which suggests that many acoustic neuromas never become clinically apparent.

Pathophysiology
The vast majority of acoustic neuromas develop from the Schwann cell investment of the vestibular portion of the vestibulocochlear nerve. Less than 5% arise from the cochlear nerve. The superior and inferior vestibular nerves appear to be the nerves of origin with about equal frequency. Overall, 3 separate growth patterns can be distinguished within acoustic tumors, as follows: (1) no growth or very slow growth, (2) slow growth (ie, 0.2 cm/y on imaging studies), and (3) fast growth (ie, >1.0 cm/y on imaging studies). While most acoustic neuromas grow slowly, some grow quite quickly and can double in volume within 6 months to a year.

While some tumors adhere to one or another of these growth patterns, others appear to alternate between periods of no or slow growth and rapid growth. Tumors that have undergone cystic degeneration (presumably because they have outrun their blood supply) are sometimes capable of relatively rapid expansion because of enlargement of their cystic component.

Because acoustic tumors arise from the investing Schwann cell, tumor growth generally compresses vestibular fibers to the surface. Destruction of vestibular fibers is slow; consequently, many patients experience little or no dysequilibrium or imbalance. Once the tumor has grown sufficiently large to fill the internal auditory canal, it may continue growth either by eroding bone or by spilling out into the cerebellopontine angle. Growth within the cerebellopontine angle is generally spherical.

Acoustic tumors, like other space-occupying lesions, produce symptoms by any of 4 recognizable mechanisms: (1) compression or distortion of the spinal fluid spaces, (2) displacement of the brain stem, (3) compression of vessels producing venous or arterial infarction, or (4) compression and/or attenuation of nerves.

Because the cerebellopontine angle is relatively empty, tumors can continue to grow until they reach 3-4 cm in size before they come in contact with important structures. Growth is often sufficiently slow that the facial nerve can accommodate to the stretching imposed by tumor growth without clinically apparent deterioration of function. Tumors that arise within the internal auditory canal may produce relatively early symptomatology in the form of hearing loss or vestibular disturbance by compressing the cochlear nerve, vestibular nerve, or labyrinthine artery against the bony walls of the internal auditory canal.

As the tumor approaches 2.0 cm in diameter, it generally comes to abut against the lateral surface of the brain stem. Further growth can occur only by compressing or displacing the brain stem toward the contralateral side. A 4.0-cm tumor often extends sufficiently far anteriorly to compress the trigeminal nerve and produce facial hypesthesia. Growth over 4.0 cm generally results in progressive effacement of the vestibular aqueduct and fourth ventricle with eventual development of hydrocephalus.

Clinical
Unilateral hearing loss is overwhelmingly the most common symptom present at the time of diagnosis and is generally the symptom that leads to diagnosis. Consider any unilateral sensorineural hearing loss an acoustic neuroma until proven otherwise. The tumor can produce hearing loss through at least 2 mechanisms, direct injury to the cochlear nerve or interruption of cochlear blood supply. Progressive injury to cochlear fibers probably accounts for slow progressive neurosensory hearing loss observed in a significant number of patients with acoustic neuromas. Sudden and fluctuating hearing losses are more easily explained on the basis of disruption of cochlear blood supply.

Consistent with direct injury to cranial nerve VIII, a significant number of individuals with acoustic neuroma have speech discrimination scores reduced out of proportion to the reduction in the pure-tone average—a feature deemed typical for retrocochlear lesions. Such marked reductions in speech discrimination scores (often into the teens or twenties) are not invariable, however. A normal speech discrimination score does not rule out an acoustic tumor. A significant number of patients with acoustic tumors have normal or near-normal hearing or speech discrimination scores.

Hearing loss associated with acoustic neuroma can be sudden or fluctuating in 5-15% of patients. Such hearing loss may improve spontaneously or in response to steroid therapy. Consequently, acoustic tumor should be considered in anybody with a sudden or fluctuating loss even if hearing returns to normal.

Patients with acoustic neuroma have normal hearing at the time of diagnosis in 3-5% of cases. Surprisingly, patients with medium and large tumors are nearly as likely to have normal hearing as patients with very small tumors. Not surprisingly, the discovery of acoustic neuromas in persons with normal hearing has been increasing as gadolinium-enhanced MRI is becoming more common. The presence of unilateral tinnitus alone is a sufficient reason to evaluate an individual for acoustic tumor. Although tinnitus is most commonly a manifestation of hearing loss, a few individuals with acoustic tumors (around 10%) seek treatment for unilateral tinnitus without associated subjective hearing loss.

Vertigo and dysequilibrium are uncommon presenting symptoms among patients with acoustic tumors. Rotational vertigo (the illusion of movement or falling) is much more common when tumors are small. In Samii's series of 16 patients with intracanalicular tumors, 75% of patients presented with vertigo. This is an atypically high percentage even for small tumors. Dysequilibrium (a sense of unsteadiness or imbalance), on the other hand, appears to be more common in larger tumors. Overall, if carefully questioned, approximately 40-50% of patients with acoustic tumors report some balance disturbance. However, balance disturbance is the presenting symptom in less than 10% of patients. The destruction of vestibular fibers apparently is sufficiently slow as to permit seamless compensation.

Headaches are present in 50-60% of patients at the time of diagnosis, but fewer than 10% of patients have headache as their presenting symptom. Headache appears to become more common as tumor size increases and is a prominent feature in patients who develop obstructive hydrocephalus associated with a very large tumor.

Facial numbness occurs in about 25% of patients and is more common at the time of presentation than facial weakness (about 10% of patients). The motor fibers in the facial nerve can accommodate very substantial stretching as long as it occurs slowly, and they seem much more resistant to injury than sensory fibers. Objective hypoesthesia involving the teeth, buccal mucosa, or skin of the face is associated with larger tumors, but a subjective reduction in sensation that cannot be documented on objective examination occurs commonly with medium-sized and small tumors. Decrease in the corneal reflex generally occurs earlier and more commonly than objective facial hypoesthesia. Even though approximately 50-70% of individuals with large tumors have objectively demonstrable facial hypoesthesia, they are often unaware of it, and it is uncommonly the presenting symptom.

Facial weakness is sufficiently uncommon (5-10% of patients) that facial weakness associated with a small or medium-size tumor should raise suspicion that it is not an acoustic neuroma. Entertain other diagnoses, such as facial neuroma, meningioma, granuloma, arteriovenous malformation (AVM), or lipoma. Large tumors (>4.0 cm) can obstruct the flow of spinal fluid through the ventricular system by distorting and obstructing the fourth ventricle. In the early decades of this century, 75% of patients presented with hydrocephalus.

Sheryl

Re: HELP FOR UNDERSTANDING CONSEQUENCES OF WATCH AND WAIT
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 05:15:40 pm »
Tom - great article - I'm a 7 year "wait and watcher" on another cranial nerve (#9) close to the acoustic nerve.  Do you mind posting from what source you got this information?
Thanks,
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 08:40:22 pm »
Tom,

I'm with Sheryl, where did you get the article from? - some of the stats provided are different to what i have seen before. I must say though that I don't remember reading any posters discuss facial paralysis prior to surgery. referring to the posts on this site, by memory, and i can be corrected, facial paralysis is more common following translab surgery than other methods or from doing nothing.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 09:03:22 pm »
I have been watch and wait since 4/06, starting at 1.3cm x .6 x.6 and just received 10/06/2008 MRI at 1.5 x .9 x .9 with minimal growth from 10/07. However, I am constantly concerned that I have been given a warning and if I don't take it I could get facial paralysis and/or balance problems.
I'm sure many of you are in the same scenario.
I found an article that I am attaching,

Nice summary...Yep it is still 1 in 100,000.  We are a unique lot:-)
Tom, at first I thought i would wait and watch...then I realized that there were less side effects with tumors under 2 cm. I came to the realization that finding it at 1.8 (that is what it was first measured...then I was told it was 1.5) that the benefit to finding it early was the ability to treat it when it was still small.

All the best,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 09:06:15 pm »
Tom,

....by memory, and i can be corrected, facial paralysis is more common following translab surgery than other methods or from doing nothing.

laz

Hi Laz,
My understanding is that it is more related to the size of the tumor. With Translab the doctors have the best view of the tumor. I will check out the HEI site and get back on this.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 06:02:46 am »
Laz,
While tumor size is certainly the most determining factor for facial paralysis, translab is the least likely approach to cause facial paralysis but hearing loss is definite.  Retrosigmoid is generally thought to be second in line for facial nerve preservation and offers hope for hearing preservation as well.  Middle fossa is thought to be best for hearing preservation but also has the most facial nerve risk -- just thoutght I'd clear that up.

Tom,
What symptoms do you now have?   Your tumor, while still small,  has shown enough growth that it is probably time to start thinking about taking action, especially if you still have good hearing.  I have given a brief but accurate description of the three surgical approaches, but you also have the option of sterostactic radiosurgery.  My advice is that you start getting opinions from both radiation oncologists and surgeons to see exactly what your options are in their opinion.  From my own experience I learned that ANs do not have to grow significantly to knock out hearing.  I went from 80% hearing discrimination to 24% in a matter of weeks -- my AN only grew .7cm.  This is unusual, but obviously can happen.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

mk

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 10:20:45 am »
Thank you for posting this excellent article. It helped me understand many things regarding how nerve function is affected etc.

I tend to agree with Wendy on the issue of starting consultations.

It is common for tumors that grow on the CP angle to go undetected, because they do not compress any structures. At least this is what happened in my case, where obviously the bogger had been growing for years, without me having any symptoms. However, once it reaches the area adjacent to the brain stem, then the onset of symptoms can be abrupt. From what I understand now, once the AN reached my trigeminal nerve as it originates from the brain stem, I started having the feelings of reduced sensation (hypesthesia, as I learned from the article). Although not a serious problem, this is probably irreversible now.
What I want to say is that although things are probably OK while the AN is still in the empty space, it is not a good idea to let it reach the brain structures, because it can cause irreversible problems. This is something that can be seen on the MRI, ie. proximity to nerves etc. Also, especially when considering radiation, it would be good to have some room for potential swelling.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 12:37:51 am »
Also, especially when considering radiation, it would be good to have some room for potential swelling.

That is so important when considering radiation, and so much more important that all the scary things that sometimes get tossed around by doctors, which don't amount to much risk at all. Thanks for bringing it up.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.