Author Topic: Is it possible that the hearing can come back?  (Read 12910 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Is it possible that the hearing can come back?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 08:00:20 am »
Syl -

guess since I've known you for a while now, I overlooked your new signature information.  I tend to read it when someone is a newbie and tune out from that point on.  Probably not a good idea - as a lot of our situations change over time.

Time seems to heal a lot of AN side-effects.  I'm hopeful your headaches go away and that your dizziness gets better very soon.

In my experience, the exhaustion you are feeling since your return to work will go away in time also.  It takes a while - I can't remember how long in my case - but you'll be back to being "yourself" eventually.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 11:11:41 am »
Hi Gloria,
I have the same good hearing that I did before surgery, though immediately after it was sketchy.  I think Hruss on this forum regained hearing after two retrosigmoids, you should look for her.  I think it came back quite a while after surgery which might be more relevant to your case. Good luck.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 11:20:49 am »
Marci, thank you for your reply.  I am still waiting for the opinion of the doctor who made the surgery but Already i asked to another Audiologist. Tomorrow when I have the complete information I will post in this topic.

I will look for Hruss.
Take care,
Gloria

Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 09:55:48 am »
I just posted on your other thread - can't wait to hear how you like the new TransEar!  I am still trying to find someone in my insurance plan to fit me - ugh.  Who knew it would be so difficult?

Debbi, exercising patience - sort of
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Arasha

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 04:19:57 pm »
Hi Debbi and everybody who were sharing with me my post.

I let you know that, I got my TransEar at Oct. 8th but IT DIDN'T WORK!!!, as soon as the doctor put in my ear, I did not notice any difference with or without it, I told the doctor I think I can hear better without it, he insisted that I will notice the difference once the brain is adapted and it could happen within the 8 days!!; the first day I used it 4-5 hours, no improvementes in my hearing at all!!! I just got a big migraine that didnt let me sleep all night long. 
The day after I called to the TransEar Co and asked them if there is a history that the hearing aid can not work in someone, the lady asked me some information and she told me that she will call me back in few minutes, what she did is to call to the doctor and asked him to make another mold, she assumes that the mold was not done in a correct way.

The same day I went to return my TransEar and let them to make another mold....1 month more!!! is what I need to wait until they make another TransEar, I hope this can work on me.  DOES SOMEONE KNOW IF THE TRANSEAR CAN NOT WORK FOR SOME REASON???? .  I feel so dissapointed and sad!!!

Regarding to the question of the topic, the doctor told me: EVEYTHING IS POSSIBLE, CROSS YOUR FINGERS!!!, so I will keep waiting for my hearing someday will come back!!!

Gloria
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 09:26:39 pm »
Gloria -

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your TransEar  :(

I'm a BAHA user, so I don't really know how to help you - other than to suggest you PM either Boppie or Kbonner.  They both have a TransEar and might be able to offer your some assistance.

Good luck,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 10:41:23 pm »
Hi Gloria,

Sorry to hear about the TransEar not working. Maybe Rick the TransEar guy will come along and have a better answer for you. It does make sense that how well the mold fits would matter, since it has to make contact in order to send the sound through your skull bone to the other side. If it didn't contact correctly, it would not send any sound over.

Hopefully they will get it right the second time, and you will hear a difference.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 08:54:53 am »
Good point, Steve.

From what I've heard (no pun intended) fit is key with the TransEar.

Jan

Arasha

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 01:18:51 pm »
Thank you Jan, I agree with that,  for that reason it is very important to know if the center when we are going to get the hearing aid had experiences with the TransEar, unfortunatelly i could not get a reply in my topic where i asked if someone got there.

Take care,
Gloria

Arasha

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 01:29:39 pm »
Hola Steve,

Good idea,  I just posted to Rick, I will wait his comments.

A hug,
Gloria

pwatts

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 02:26:24 pm »
 I had my surgery 8yrs ago, mine hasnt come back , ive considered getting it cut completely to eliminate this ringing jet engine I have in my head , id like to know what the transear does for you

Arasha

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 03:40:03 pm »
pwatts,  When I get the TransEar I will post my experience, I hope this time will work. The cascade noise in my ear bothers me also...but, what can we do, just keep the faith.
Hug,
Gloria

Arasha

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 10:24:57 pm »
Hi Steve, Rick answered me immediately as a  personal message, he is very helpfull, he says: " There are a number of things that could have happened, one of which is that something broke". Let's see if the next TransEar could work.

Take care,
Gloria

sgerrard

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2008, 12:06:29 am »
Excellent, I'm glad Rick got a message to you. Second time will be the charm.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mema

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 12:11:45 pm »
Gloria,

Wow I thought I was the only one.  I had 28 fsr treatments.  Before and after I had very little hearing in my AN side ear, but  I could still hear the dial tone on the telephone very faintly.  Six months after fsr, It was completely silent.  Couldn't hear faintly at all.  Then about 1 year later I can now hear the dialtone very faintly again.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.