Author Topic: What are the "usual" post surgery meds?  (Read 4386 times)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
What are the "usual" post surgery meds?
« on: January 13, 2006, 02:25:59 pm »
  I'm scheduled for retrosogmoid removal of an AN next month.  And I'm still in info gathering mode.  What are the normal post op med regimens?  Are they short term or long term?
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

cookiesecond

Re: What are the "usual" post surgery meds?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 10:46:16 pm »
Hi Rob,
I was given short term meds.I was given a steroid pack to help reduce swelling,percocet for pain,zantac to help prevent an ulcer, phenergan for nausea, and I rotated otc ibuprofen and tylenol.
Hope this helps,
Lynn

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 11:07:55 pm »
All of my meds were short term.  I had decadron for swelling, percocet for pain as needed, and sleeping pills as needed.  When I came over I used a few of the percocets, finished weaning myself off of the decadron, and used Tylenol for pain if needed. 
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

DeniseSmith

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 07:45:48 am »
Initially, I was given morphine, until I started to hallucinate. Then percocet, which made me really loopy. So I asked them if I could just take tylenol and thats all i took my second week in hospital.

becknell

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 01:26:46 pm »
Husband had short term meds. Beginning IV Decadron (a steroid to prevent swelling) at midnight the day before surgery, combined with Zantac to protect his stomach. After surgery , for pain, given IV morphine, which made him nauseaous, and was switched to IV Fentynl for pain. Was given some phenegren for nausea, which didn't help a whole lot. Still nauseous, so was given Oxycontin pills for pain (headache pain) took for a few days until the headache could be managed with ibuprophen. Gradually tapered off the Decadron. Took ibuprophen for a couple weeks as needed until he didn't need it any more.