Author Topic: My Mother has AN ....Update  (Read 2905 times)

Mary

My Mother has AN ....Update
« on: January 16, 2006, 06:04:11 am »
Hello all,

It's been a while so I'll recap.... 81 year old mother had a 4.5cm AN removed 11/3/05 at the House Ear Clinic in LA.   Eye spring was placed in the right eye 11/11/05.

Mom is doing wonderfully.   Balance is back to almost normal.   She still uses the walker because her right eye is stil swollen and closed.   Every week I see changes.   She can now shower be herself, get her breakfast and snacks, go up and down from the curb, eat chocolate and drink coffee.    The taste buds are returning,  the balance problem is gone and her ability to process things in her mind is better every day.   Her short term memory has greatly improved but she does not remember most of last year.

I take her to PT 3 times a week and ST once a week.   She has gained 6 lbs. so now she weighs 106 lbs.   Some of that is muscle.   She can push 70 lbs 40 times on the leg press.   Pretty good for an 81 year old woman.   We have an EMS machine for her facial muscles and it works !   This means she has a connection in her grafted facial nerve.

Seems everything is positive yardage.

Mary

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: My Mother has AN ....Update
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 06:12:56 am »
Mary,

I am so happy to hear about your Mom's progress.  I know what a heavy decision that you had in the beginning of all of this.  You will be a great source for people that are researching for a loved one that just can't do it themselves.  Again great news about your Mom.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

russ

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:38:19 pm »
Hi Mary!

This is SO GOOD to read! Thanks for updating us. Your Mom and you are thought of often.

Russ  ( from ANAWAY )

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 09:33:21 pm »
Mary,

it's great to hear positive news. It always gives us a buzz.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Mary

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 07:14:35 am »
Mom had her first tingle in her face last night.

Positive yardage!!!!!

Thanks for your thoughts and caring.

Mary

cookiesecond

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 09:13:18 am »
Mary,
Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful news.God is so good! Your mom is really blessed to have you in her corner.
Take care and keep us posted,
Lynn