Author Topic: My eye looks soooooooo different from my GOOD side. Why?  (Read 6702 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

My eye looks soooooooo different from my GOOD side. Why?
« on: September 25, 2008, 05:57:42 pm »
My paralyzed side has toned up some and I have had a tuck in the my bad eye to lift the skin but my bad eye looks sooooooo different from my good eye. I've seen lots of people with paralysis and a gold weight and you can't even tell which eye has the weight. I had a very heavy platinum weight in my eye that was taken out 3 months later due to it being the wrong weight. I am wondering if the heavy weight changed the shape of my eyelid for good. The eyelid droops still even with the weight out?!?!?
I'm wondering if I should have another lift (canthoplasty) or have a couple of stitches to make the eye look more like my good eye. My bad eye looks bigger but with a droopy lid if that makes sense. What plastic surgery can help and does this get better when the facial nerve heals over time? Is it just due to weakness?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:00:57 pm by CROOKEDSMILE »

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: My eye looks soooooooo different from my GOOD side. Why?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 10:02:15 pm »
Hi there CS,  the best advise I can give you is to do what I'm doing:  getting @ least 2 opinions from oculoplastic surgeons re: the best procedures for the eye to enhance symmetry, capture tears, blink easier ... 

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 07:21:47 am »
Hi does your top eyelid still look heavy with the weight out?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 11:56:36 am »
yes it looks heavy with the weight out!
ANgie

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 01:11:14 pm »
i was hoping if i ever have the weight out it would take the heavy look away, may it take time , let me know what the  eye doc says

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 08:02:34 pm »
What do you mean by "heavy"???   ???

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 08:11:30 am »
Hi Kay , by heavy i mean the gold weight makes my eye lid look heavier than the other eye, as if its half shut

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 08:45:56 am »
OK...I had to go look in the mirror for this one since I just had my weight out last week!  My eye does NOT look "heavy" now that the weight is removed nor did it really look that way with it in!  When I first had one put in, I realized (& talked w/ the Dr.) that it was too heavy and making my eye droop, epecially when I was tired.  I found it the most annoying when I was trying to read at night and really couldn't even keep my eye open.  We went in & put in a lighter weight - but it was too light.  The third time is a charm and we got it right (kind of sounds like the 3 Bears here)!  I had that weight until March when I had the T3 & other work and he put in the platinum one.  I just had that one removed b/c it "slipped" and will let my lid completely heal and then go for another one.  So, I have had a weight in SOLID for over 5 years, but now that I do NOT have anything in, I don't think it looks "heavy."  Weird thing is...my eye is blinking!  I don't think it is closing COMPLETELY which is why I would have trouble, but I thought that interesting!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Karen

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 09:45:40 am »
I have had my eye weight out since March and the lid still looks a little swollen and heavy, Jackie Diels said it takes about a year for the eye to look        "normal" agin.  The weight really changes the shape of the lid.  I guess it kind of stretches it.  Kaybo, does your eye blink all the wayor just half way?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 10:25:09 am »
Hi Kay thats great your eye blinks with the weight out, my eye looks heavy and swollen but the ent doctor said its not coming out and leave it well alone, he also says there is a slight gap when i close the eye at rest, but i am worried it will stay this way if i ever get the weight out, but having read the thread above it can take a year to get back to normal. Karen how long did you have the weight in for??
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 10:26:43 am by jazzfunkanne »

Karen

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 05:36:37 pm »
I had my eye weight in for about 4 years.  I am hoping  to get through the winter Dr. Custer, my eye doc. said that will be the test with the dry air and heat.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Kaybo

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 05:43:07 pm »
Karen~
Don't you still have a LOT of trouble with your eye - having to put stuff in your eye all the time??  I LOVE having a weight b/c I don't have to worry about it.  I just put in Refresh PM before bed and sometimes one drop of Systane in after my shower.  I live in an extremely windy city too.  Just wondering...I thought that I remembered a post this summer about you going to Chicago and worrying about your eye...
I don't know exactly how far it blinks but know it doesn't close all the way except for when I sleep.

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 06:45:45 pm »
K,
Your eye is blinking!  Was that expected? 
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 07:42:07 pm »
Marci~
I am not really sure and I'm not really sure if it did that before the weight (I went w/o a weight the 1st 7 years) but my friends were impressed!   ;D  I go back to the Dr. tomorrow so I'll be able to tell you what he says then!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 02:14:55 am »
Hi kay, even with my eye weight i have to use dry eye gels and protective creams because there is a slight gap.