Author Topic: I have to ask a silly question  (Read 4299 times)

wcrimi

I have to ask a silly question
« on: September 19, 2008, 09:26:45 am »
What is BAHA surgery?

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

RichardMS

Re: I have to ask a silly question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:40:55 am »
CWood:
     Not a silly question, BAHA is just the abbreviation for "Bone Anchored Hearing Aid". It's basically a microphone that is attached to a permanently implanted post in the skull.  The microphone transfers the sound through the bone of your skull to whichever ear is undamaged.  Here are some good links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_Anchored_Hearing_Aid

http://www.cochlearamericas.com/Products/2013.asp

Hope this will help.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 10:00:09 am »
Not a silly question at all!  Before long, you will realize we speak a language all our own around here!!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wcrimi

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 10:15:38 am »
THanks.

Something like that is way off for me. I'm still going for consultations.
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 04:06:34 pm »
Not a silly question, at all.  Thanks for asking  ;D

The links Richard referred you to are good ones, but we have our own "set of links" here on the forum - I'm the proud author of many of them, as are Lori, Sam Rush, Bucko, Ellis, joef, Catflower, etc., etc., etc.

The "microphone" that Richard talks about is basically a tiny hearing aid that attaches to a titanium post implanted in the skull.  Here's a link to photos of my processor & BAHA site   http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6634.msg65388#msg65388

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 11:39:27 am »
Did any of you BAHA users get yours "installed" at the same time you had your AN removed?  I'm still trying to decide about that...Know you don't get the processor at the same time, but could go ahead and get the screw/plug/hole (sorry, don't remember the proper term) while already under anesthesia, right?

thx,

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 12:49:10 pm »
Cindy,
Yes, I had my BAHA implant (the titanium screw) done at the same time as my AN surgery. It added about 30-45 minutes to the operation, and having it all done at once seemed like a good idea to me! I believe that in some instances this makes the insurance hurdle a bit easier to cross since they don't have to figure in another separate procedure. My main motivation was that I live all the way across the country from my surgeons, wanted them to be the ones to do everything involved with my AN, and didn't want to make another trip out West "just" for the BAHA! You'll see that many other forum posters have the implant done later, under local anesthesia, and report that it's an easy procedure (i.e., no particular pain and a very quick recovery). Whatever you decide, I certainly endorse getting a BAHA -- it's a big help. Best wishes as you make your decision.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 03:00:23 pm »
Cindy -

combining the AN surgery and the BAHA surgery generally depends on your doctor.  Some like to combine the procedures; some don't.

Mine doesn't, but it wasn't a big deal for me.  The BAHA surgery is nothing like the AN surgery - it's outpatient and generally lasts under 90 minutes from start to finish. 

You usually have the choice of general or local anesthesia with the BAHA surgery.  I chose local - as do 90% of my docs' BAHA patients.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 06:03:06 pm »
Thanks Catherine and Jan - I'm going to have to think about this...I can see the benefit of doing it at the same time as the AN removal, but I'm also thinking I should at least see how well I cope, or don't, w/ being SSD...hmmm

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 08:12:29 pm »
Cindy,

For additional input as you consider your BAHA options, you might check with your assigned surgical consultant at House (I noticed in your signature that that's where you're having your translab procedure). He/she could perhaps provide some useful information or at least put you in touch with one of their audiologists. You can arrange for an audiology appointment to be included in your day of pre-operative meetings with the doctors, and you will be able to have the BAHA demonstration then.

I realize this isn't addressing your issue of how you'll cope with SSD! And, like just about everything else related to ANs, there are no set rules. How is your hearing now? If you're still experiencing very good hearing, you'll have sudden onset SSD following your surgery. If your hearing had been gradually diminishing over time prior to your AN diagnosis, or has totally gone, your brain will have had time to adjust to this "new way" of hearing. Many AN patients who've grown quite accustomed to their SSD for a good while prior to surgery are sometimes less inclined to get a BAHA or Trans-ear device because they feel as though they can continue to cope comfortably with the situation. As is the case with treatment decisions, you'll know when you've reached the BAHA decision that's right for you. Best wishes as you continue to think about it.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 08:18:18 pm »
Hi, Cheri

I believe you mentioned in a previous post that you're having the middle fossa surgical approach. The translab approach (what Cindy's having), as opposed to middle fossa, results by definition in SSD. Hopefully your hearing will be preserved and you won't need a BAHA!!!!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
Monmouth County, NJ