Author Topic: BAHA progression....  (Read 2617 times)

RichardMS

BAHA progression....
« on: September 16, 2008, 01:48:13 pm »
I've been following these board for a couple of months now, and finally decided to post.  I had my "golf ball sized" AN removed on 26 Feb (by Dr. Smith and Dr. Moloney at Oschner Clinic in New Orleans).  But alas, I was back in the hospital in 30 days for a CSF leak (if you have a runny noes talk to someone!).  I began my BAHA process in August and now I'm looking forward to getting the sound processor in Nov.  It hasn't been easy but....Do any other BAHA folks out there get headaches frequently? If so do they go away?  I used to never get headaches, but after my surgery I tend to get them almost daily......

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: BAHA progression....
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 04:01:23 pm »
after the AN surgery yes... its a common issue .. but after BAHA surgery alone.. I dont think so .. have you looked at: http://www.baha-users-support.com/cgi-bin/2bb/2bb.cgi users group?
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

lori67

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 04:05:29 pm »
Hi Richard.

I never had headaches after my BAHA surgery.  Your surgical site looks like it's healed really well.  Did the headaches start after the AN surgery or the BAHA surgery?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 08:31:03 pm »
Hi, Richard and welcome to the forum  ;D

I had my BAHA surgery in March 2008 and got my processor in June 2008 and I can tell you it's fantastic!  I hope you love it as much as I love mine.

Your BAHA site looks very good; it's healing quite nicely.

As far as headaches, I have none.  I didn't have any before or after my AN surgery either.  Headaches are common, but even so, you might want to mention them to your doctor.

Your scars are very interesting.  Do you mind if I ask why you have two?

I'm guessing the long one is from your AN surgery, although it looks different from mine (I had retrosigmoid).  I'm very curious about the one directly behind your ear.

I hope you don't mind my asking; I don't mean to be rude. 

Jan 

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 09:25:48 pm »
Hi, Richard,

Your BAHA site looks like it's just about ready for the processor -- best wishes!

I will join the other posters in saying that I've had no headaches following my BAHA surgery (which was done at the same time as my AN surgery this past January, so I realize it's not identical to your situation). I've just experienced the numbness on that side of my head, and it's decreasing so steadily that I don't really pay it much attention anymore.

I am from New Orleans, so I know that Oschner Clinic is a wonderful medical center! It was one of the few hospitals in the Greater New Orleans area that survived Hurricane Katrina relatively unscathed, and it's continued to do a remarkable job as the region recovers. You are in good hands there!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)

Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

RichardMS

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 07:22:39 am »
Thanks for all the help everyone!  I think I may start keeping a "log" of my headaches to see if I can determine anything (times of day, triggers, or hopefully a decrease in the number of). 

As far as my site/scars: Bacitracin,and more Bacitracin. I guess I've been lucky.  After my second surgery (mastoid obliteration) my ear poked out, and I was scared that it would stay like that, but it went down (the nice interns did offer to "fix" my non-AN ear so that it matched, but I politely declined). Overall it all takes time.

Leapyrtwins:  No worries about being rude, I think I was unclear/failed to mention: After my initial surgery (the longer scar pic) I had a runny nose for a month. I have allergies, so I thought. I had a doctors appt. scheduled for Thurs, well Monday I got this killer headache, went to the hospital in a ball, and got diagnosed with a CSF and meningitis...so to fix the CSF lead they did a mastoid obliteration and sealed that area with a little cellulose...the meningitis took a months worth of IV antibiotics. CSF leaks are serious..watch out.

JerseyGirl2:   I'm glad that I'm close enough to use Oschner as well.  My doc has been doing BAHA's for 14 years! He said he was one of the first people to go to Sweden? to get the training, so that inspires confidence.  Great place...

Thanks again for all the help everyone! 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 08:43:13 am »
Wow, Richard!  You have been through a lot - as if AN surgery wasn't enough  :P

Didn't have a CSF leak or meningitis myself, but I feel for you.  Glad you got through all that.

Some here have found that headaches are triggered by different foods - like caffeine - so your idea of keeping a log is a good one.  You'll also find lots of posts about headaches on the forum - just search under "headaches". 

Thanks for saying I wasn't rude  ;D  I truly feel that part of this forum is to educate others in "our boat" so I find it very helpful to myself and others when forumites are upfront and honest about their AN journey.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways