Author Topic: Need help finding the next person for the Magic Scarf  (Read 8237 times)

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
Need help finding the next person for the Magic Scarf
« on: September 14, 2008, 07:49:08 pm »
I was looking on the calendar tonight trying to find the next person who has a treatment for their AN. I saw a Tamarah, but can't find out who she is. I'd like to pass it on to the next person!!

Can anyone help me find the next person who I could contact?

Thanks,
Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

sgerrard

Re: Need help finding the next person for the Magic Scarf
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 11:30:49 pm »
It is supposed to be Tamara, who is having a BAHA implant on the 25th. That's just an office visit, though. I would pick Lori (Lori67), who is having a 7-12 nerve jump surgery on the 26th, which is a bigger deal (sorry Tammy). Or straight to Cheri (CWood), as Donnalynn suggested.

Steve

PS: I moved the topic to AN Community, since I don't think the magic scarf qualifies as medical treatment.  ;)
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 11:35:48 am »
I'm not anticipating a great deal of hair loss on this surgery, so I think Cheri should be the next recipient of the magic scarf.  But I certainly won't mind a little magic sent this way! 

Donnalynn, the "magic scarf" was... let's see - it started out as Debbi's - didn't it?  And it seems that everyone who has been honored enough to be the user of the magic scarf has done quite well in their recovery - so we figured it was a good idea to keep that run of good luck going!  And I just can't wait to see one of the men wearing it!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:37:15 pm »
Lori,

You know we will be sending "magic" your way, whether it be thru the scarf or otherwise!  And, I too can't wait to see a man w/ the magic scarf

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:20:30 pm »
To those who are wondering what is a "Magic Scarf", I was one that had this scarf, picture on the left is with the scarf and I forwarded it to Cathy for her surgery and included a journal so we can see how far this scarf will go.  So far, everyone that has had it did fairly well with their surgery.  That's the story behind the "Magic Scarf".......Good Luck to the next AN'er........
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 05:06:57 pm »
What a great idea!!  Kind of like the "Magic Pants Club".  The scarp will certainly tell a good story. 

Best of luck to who ever is receiving it next.

Anne Marie

Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 09:28:23 pm »
Cheri,
Debbi actually started the Magic Scarf going around and gave it to me jurst before my surgery.  She asked me to pass it on and I sent it  to Sue who had the idea of adding the journal and passed it along to Cathy.   As for who should get it next, in my opinion, it should be Lori (Lori67) who is having 7-12 jump surgery next Friday. 

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 09:45:13 pm »
Well, as long as we're voting, I vote for Cheri.

Let's not forget that even though Tamara is having surgery, she'll most likely get a special BAHA "hat" compliments of her surgeon.

And BTW, how does one have a BAHA implanted at an "office visit"?  My BAHA surgery was outpatient, but it wasn't an office visit.  I should have ask for that though; it might have saved my insurance company some money.

Sorry, I digress  :P

As Lori pointed out, her surgery doesn't require a great deal of hair loss.  Plus, I also get the feeling that Lori just isn't a scarf person - no offense, Lori, I'm not either  :)  I do wish you "magic" though  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 08:19:13 am »
Cheri,
Initially,  I was supposed to have middle fossa.  I asked my doc how much hair would have to be shaved.  He advised me that an area of approximately 7cm X 7cm (I think that's about 3 1/2 inches X 3 1/2 inches) would be shaved above my ear.  I was told since I have long layers in my hair that it would not be noticable after surgery.  Check with your doc, but my guess is this will be close to what he tells you too.  The Magic AN scarf should help with disguising the site to, along with giving you some added magic for your recovery!

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 08:50:12 am »
Cheri -

don't freak about the "hair loss".  Most docs only shave what they need to and it grows in very fast - mine was coming in a few days post op.

I wear my hair short, but if you wear yours long, they generally keep the hair above the incision area long and it will hang down and cover the incision area.

Another nice thing is that once the hair grows back, it generally grows in around the scar and makes it virtually invisible. 

My scar faded very nicely, too.  By the time I had my BAHA surgery nine months post-op my scar was extremely hard to see.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 09:53:28 am »
Cheri,

The hair loss part wasn't too bad.  I asked my surgeon to pretend he was a hairdresser when he was doing the hair removal. He told me he was much better at cutting heads than cutting hair, but he'd do his best.  My hair was about chin length at the time, with long layers.  The only hair that was shaved was about 3 fingers width above and behind my ear (yours will be a little different), but the longer layers on the top covered right over the incision, so you hardly noticed anything.  If you really looked closely, you could see that it was a little unever along the bottom, but you would have had to really be looking.  And like Jan said, it grew in fast and I'm able to pull my hair back into a ponytail now without the scar even showing.

I told my doctor that if this brain surgery thing doesn't work out for him, he's got a real future at Great Clips!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 11:41:00 am »
Well, the Magic Scarf has succeeded in it's Magic once again!

I had my 4 week post op MRI and dr. appt. this morning. Also had a hearing test. Everything is going great, balance is getting there (hope to be driving by the weekend), and MRI looked great. The hearing test came out good, too. I have an 88% word recognition right now, and they said that when the fluid is all gone, that my hearing should be back to what it was before my surgery, which was in the high 90's!!!

My doc had such a big grin on his face when he told me that. I did, too.  ;D

I am going to take at least another 2 weeks off of work to give the balance time to improve and deal with the fatigue. But, I am one happy lady today.

Now...this lady is going to take one long nap this afternoon. I think I maybe got 1 1/2 hrs of sleep last night. Nerves, I think.  :-\

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

lori67

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 11:43:08 am »
Great news Cathy!

Sweet dreams and I hope you have a long, restful nap!!

Lori

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 12:17:59 pm »
Cathy~~
Glad you got such good news - I'd have a big smile on my face too!!  (Well, if I could smile, I would!)

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 01:18:41 pm »
Wahoo, Cathy!!!! Great news!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland