Author Topic: Need help finding the next person for the Magic Scarf  (Read 8266 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Need help finding the next person for the Magic Scarf
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 11:30:18 am »
Cheri,

It's hard to imagine what good can come out of this now, but I know you'll be able to look back on it later and see it clearly.  I think even those of us who have some residual issues to deal with can find something good that happened during this journey.  You will too.

Trust in your doctors.  They know what they're doing and you'll be in good hands.  Worrying won't change that.

Cheri -

I couldn't have said it any better than Lori (above).  One day you will look back on your AN journey and realize how strong and brave you were to get through it. 

Faith, trust, and confidence in your doctors is also an incredible thing.  As my brother told me prior to my AN surgery "Release control" - it will make your journey that much smoother. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 09:01:39 pm »
Cheri -

can't wait to see your postie photo complete with the magic scarf.  It's become a tradition, you know  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2008, 08:06:24 am »
Cheri -

A bronze at bocci!!  That's great -a girl after my own heart (I'm Italian!).  Tell her congratulations and I hope there are many more medals in her future!

Can't wait to see the pictures of the scarf in action!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2008, 10:49:33 am »
Cheri,
Give your daughter my contragulations on her Bronze Medal too!  You most certainly not causing problems with regard to the Magic Scarf.  As Lori said, we want it to go to the person who needs it most right now and that is you!  Glad to hear you are more at peace with your decison to have surgery.  It's not unusual to start feeling very calm at this point.  You've done everything you can do - you have faith in your doctors - of course, you know we are all  pulliing  for you - everything else  is in place and all that's left is the few days you have to wait.  Keep busy and keep your mind occupied with other things.  Your day will be here before y ou know it and you'll be a postie!

Wishing you all good things,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 05:42:14 pm »
Cheri~
You got your toenails redone, didn't you??????  That's when I for sure get a pedicure - when I am going to go into the hospital to have babies or surgery!!  Good excuse as any...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 05:47:55 pm »
Cheri -

I don't think you're losing any more than the rest of us have!  You've seen all the posts about hair color, make-up, hair cuts, etc...  so, apparently, you're not alone.

And I also have been doing my pre-surgical nesting - making sure the house is clean and organized, when I know it will not be once I'm out the door.  I don't know why I think people will come over and look in my closets and my sock drawer while I'm in the hospital, but for some reason I feel the need to clean them!

Oh, and if you grew up in NJ like I did, you'd have very fond memories of the old men playing Bocci at the Italian-American club!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 08:46:29 am »
Cheri,
You are definitely not alone in wanting the house to be in perfect condition before you leave.  We dot home from vacation a little over a week before my surgery.  I scrubbed, dusted and vacuumed the house from top to bottom before my surgery, stocked the freezer and even made, froze meals for my family, and  had my hair colored and cut during that week.   I also saw both of my surgeons for last minute pre-op visits and met Debbi, Eve and Joe for lunch in NYC -- whew!  I exhausted myself when I looked back at all the running I did that week.    I think we just feel better knowing everything is clean and organized before we have our surgery -- plus it keeps us  occupied with more normal seeming things

Hang in there,
Wendy. 
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 11:21:20 am »
Oh, Donnalynn... I never thought about using an electric toothbrush right after surgery!

It must have felt like your brain was rattling around loose in your head!  Aside from toothpaste probably being thrown all over the room!

Is it bad that I'm laughing at the mental picture I have of you doing this?   :D

Lori

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 12:20:24 pm »
Wow, I never gave it much thought but now I'm glad that I couldn't find my electric toothbrush after surgery.  :D

Cheri, I occupied myself with cleaning house also. I joked that I had the straightest sofa cushions in the state.  It was the only thing I could control so there it is.  I also made sure all the bills were paid, laundry done, and made plans to have our dogs looked after so that we wouldn't have to worry about them. Oh yes, and because the hospital is about an hour';s drive, I made arrangements for my husband to stay at a friend's house so he could be closer to the hospital but I didn't want him sleeping in the hospital. No reason why both of us should have a bad night's sleep.

Take care, and keep your attitude positive; you have no idea how much that will help.  Will be thinking of you on the 2nd.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kaybo

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 12:29:18 pm »
Donnalynn~
I want to hear the booger story too!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2008, 02:48:49 pm »
Donnalynn -

I want to hear the booger story, three!!!  ;D

Jan

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2008, 03:02:36 pm »
Hey Cheri,

That's my line underneathe my picture....I have to keep smiling or I else I WILL cry ;D  It seems we think a like.  Your Italian, I'm Hungarian married 24 yrs this past Mon to an Italian.  Lots of Italians on this forum and gosh do we like to discuss food.  Lorenzo is are resident vino expert.  He can tell us which wine to serve with a particular dish.  Speaking of vino my husband is at it again.  In a few days my house will smell like a wino's delight!

Now back to the topic, I too made sure my house was in immaculate, I've chilled on that the last few years.  I don't know if its the AN thing or I've realized other things are more important.  The house is clean, the laundry is done and I make decent meals when I can. 

I wish you a very successful surgery, and a speedy recovery.  Post some pictures with the Magic Scarf.

Anne Marie   
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games