Author Topic: Surgery Feb 1st  (Read 11216 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Surgery Feb 1st
« on: January 10, 2006, 02:23:24 pm »
Well, only a few more weeks until my stage 2 surgery. The fear just started kicking in. I don't know if it helps or not that I already went through this once. In one respect, I know what to expect and that's good, but in the other respect I know what to expect and that's not so good. Here's to hoping this is the last time anyone is ever in my brain!

becknell

Re: Surgery Feb 1st
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 03:14:05 pm »
Scott - Having read your story of what you went through, I can certainly sympathize, but one thing I know for certain is that you're a fighter. Anybody who went through what you did and bounced back as you did would be. BTW, I was really touched by your story and have been following your posts. You inspired me to write our story (though I'm not done with it yet — even though I'm a professional writer!! lol) Others who had 2 surgeries have said the second one was much less traumatic and recovery was faster, and I certainly hope and pray that's the case for you. Did you work out things with your employer? I hope they're not going to make things more difficult for you. Please keep us posted. Jennifer

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 03:54:44 pm »
Thanks for the post Jennifer, I appreciate your kind words. I think I worked something out with my employer to return post-op in another position. Pays a little less, but will also be much less stressful and allow me to do most of my work via computer and phone instead of so many face to face meetings and presentations. Thanks again for the very kind words, it's really nice to hear that the story helped/motivated someone else.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 07:07:02 pm »
Scott: I found the second time around much easier, both with immediate and long term (it's been 4 months) recovery. Best of health. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

cookiesecond

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 08:04:22 pm »
Scott.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Take care and keep us posted.
Lynn

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 02:38:12 pm »
Thanks Kathleen,

I'm now about a week away and a little fear has turned into flat out freaking out. Can someone explain the gold weight in the eye thing to me. Do they put that in while you're sedated? Is it a whole different surgery? a big deal? I don't like people near my eyes, so that coupled with someone picking around in my brain really isn't doing it for me  =)

Pembo

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 03:13:08 pm »
Hey! I hope everything goes better than you expect! I think the second time around would be worse~you know too much. Get some massages, go out alot and have a whole lot of fun!

Can't help with the gold weight thingy... Did you schedule a tummy tuck or chin implant? I wanted my total body makeover! That's supposed to make you smile. :)

Seriously, best of luck to you and we are all here pulling for you.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Kathyaquino

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 05:25:59 pm »
Scott-

I'm hoping you have really great results with this next surgery & that you'll let us know as soon as you're well enough how everything went.  I'll be having my 2nd. surgery soon & I think that it's worse the 2nd time around when you start remembering what you went through the first time.  I'm hoping for a miracle that I'll end up better after the 2nd surgery & I'm hoping that for you as well. It's always best to hope for something better because each surgery is different & we really never know what the outcome will be.  I'll be thinking of you on the 1st.

Kathy

kcooper715

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 01:48:42 pm »
Hi Scottie,

I am new to this website but not new to AN.

To make a long story short, I was diagnosed in 1990 at the age of 18.  I went thru 18 hours of surgery, with facial paralysis and no hearing in the right side.  I had the surgery again in 1994 because of the tumor re occuring.  I had eye surgery in 1996 with a gold weight put in my right eye.  Just to calm some nerves, you are sedated and really have no idea what they are doing with the eye stuff.  It should be an in and out same day procedure.  For a couple of eyes you will have a ton of swelling and it will look like a black eye for awhile.

I need to go right now but please if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Bye for now.

Kim

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 05:13:58 pm »
Hey Scottie...

Good luck on the first man! I remember in-between my two surgeries - the first one
was a shunt installation with the second being the tumor resection - I was scared yet confident in my doctors.
    One week to go? Time flys my friend. Before you know it you'll be 2 months post-op!!!
I remember in my my case, there'd be times I just sat and cried knowing what was in store for me. I'd be counting the days and hours as it approached. Here it is now 4 months post -op. Hard to believe!
We'll anxiously be waiting to hear from you when you get back!
                             Paul

5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 08:06:23 pm »
Hi Scottie, I havent been in to post for a little while. Guess I needed a short break. I wanted to tell you I had the gold weight put in on August 25th. A few weeks after my brain surgery. I was scared to death because I was still feeling traumatized from the first surgery. I am here to tell you though that I was afraid for no good reason. The implant surgery was a breeze. I was asleep for about 45 minutes and when I woke up the doctor was putting in the last couple of stitches. He must have used novacaine too because it didnt hurt at all. I agree 100% with Kim...you will have swelling that looks like a big ole black eye but that will go away fairly quick(a few days). I think that having the weight put in was the best thing I did for myself. The relief has been wonderful. I will probably have to do surgery again fairly soon to go to a lighter weight as my eye is beginning to work and the weight in there is making it hard to open my eye all the way. Hopefully I will be well enough to just have it out completely but if not..I am no longer afraid.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

lmurray69

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 08:09:45 pm »
I hope you dont mind if  i reply to your message. are you haveing a 2 nd surgey . HOW BIG  is you tumor? I also have a  colesterol granuloma at least hope that is what it is!  It was 9 mm is now  1.5 cm and growing filling up with fluid ..dont know anything  about it..but I wish you all the best in the world, My prayers will be with you I see the surgeon the 6th of Febuary 06 for treatment options i had radiation and now it will be removed ,,,Linda
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

josnik

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 08:25:34 am »
You're in my thoughts & prayers! Keep us posted.
Successful translab Feb 17, 2006
2.3cm x 2.8cm left side
Pittsburgh, PA-AGH
Dr Chen & Dr Baghai

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 10:53:47 am »
Thanks for the good thoughts & prayers everyone, I'll take all I can get. I'm now down to T minus 18 hours until I'm on the table and I am certainly freaking out. I'm going to start packing for the hospital after I'm done here and I'm trying to think of what I want for the "the last supper."  =)  That last drink of water at 11:59 tonight will be a big one ... it seems like when someone says "don't eat or drink after midnight" that you're starving and thirsty at 12:01 ... Ironic. Ok, I should go get ready. I'll try to drop you all a quick message when I get back.

Thanks again!
Scott

becknell

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 11:46:56 am »
I'll be thinking about you Wednesday, Scott. Wrote your sugery on my calendar. Hope & pray everything goes well. Jennifer